NORAUTO

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

NORAUTO

Postby fearless nige » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:10 pm

I am not sure if there are multiple branches of this Halfords type store across Andalucia, but my partner and I visited the branch at the Miramar centre near Iceland yesterday. We had just noticed a noise coming from the brakes, and were aware that there was a need to address a brake shoe issue on our car. We took the car in and were made aware that there was an initial inspection fee of some 16€ or so, but that this would be refunded if work was then done on the car. No problem I thought as I told them that it needed new brake shoes on the rear (I had only last week driven the car through the ITV test which highlighted a problem with the rear brakes - the car passed the test) They took my mobile No. and said they would text me once a diagnosis had been done. We disappeared for some 15 minutes then returned to the garage to see one of the front wheels of the car removed. After waiting 15 minutes during which time nothing occurred to our car, a store representative came out with a list of things needing attention. According to her, the two rear disks needed replacing and the shoes on all four wheels needed to be changed, in addition to something on the front brakes. Total cost: €386.75 !!!!!!! Whilst we have no proof as we didn't remain within sight of the car, we are firmly of the opinion that they did not even remove the rear wheels at all. What sort of garage would removed the wheel trims, wheels, inspect the area, then replace everything, then tell you that the work needed doing? I just don't buy it. We live in the campo so the car is normally very dusty - no evidence of hands having touched the wheel trims at all! I think they saw an english registered car and tried to pull a fast one. (We are in the middle of the matricula process to put the car on Spanish plates). So this is just to say beware. We paid the inspection fee then drove home with caution.

By the way, my neighbour helped to change our rear brake pads today - after some calling around, I found a great vehicle parts place in Velez Malaga where I purchased the pads. The disks were fine. Total bill €45!!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Re: NORAUTO

Postby country boy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Why do you assume it was because you were English? Garages do that all the time, regardless of class or creed. They just try it on, in your case they failed. It was worth a try...shrug :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 pm

the discs are visible without moving the wheels to know if they need repacing, the brake pads are also visible without having to remove the wheel, at least on my car they are.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Mine too! ( Discs all round on mine).

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:38 pm

everytime I have had any part replaced by Norauto they leave the old part in the car, so it´s easy to tell if the old discs and pads were worn and needed replacing.

new discs supplied and fitted are not cheap.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:49 pm

If a disc is corrugated, it needs changing and you can usually feel it without removing the wheel. I rate Norauto, they know their stuff and they don't overcharge "en general", but, caveat emptor as always.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Going totally off the subject, can I ask werethe iceland is, I didn't know there was one in Torrox, you direct me there I keep thinking I will have a run out one day to the freezer shop, but I thought Fuegirola was the closest, Thanks.

Just to add, I drove back to Spain in a UK reg car lately and found a world of difference with how other drivers appeared to view me, I have only ever used a spanish reg car/motorhome before and have never noticed people wanting to race me or run me off the road before , but I def noticed it this time :crazy:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm

fearless nige wrote: According to her, the two rear disks needed replacing and the shoes on all four wheels needed to be changed, in addition to something on the front brakes. Total cost: €386.75 !!!!!!!

I had this job done on my Seat Leon by the main dealers in Motril.

Disks (2) €133
Pads (4) €90
Labour €42

Total inc Iva €307

Sid

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:56 pm

there was also "something on the front brakes" to be done.

I would add that maybe they needed oiling, but being such so hot in Chiclana today I´d probably be insulted for saying so !!

fearless nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby fearless nige » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 pm

OK folks, thanks for your replies. It's good to get different people's opinions. I just couldn't accept that they could know this without even removing the wheels! It was certainly apparent once I had removed the wheels that the discs were in fact fine - at least according to my neighbour who knows a lot about cars. I still believe they were trying to get us to pay for something that really did not need doing.

Julie - there is no Iceland in Torrox! We usually incorporate a trip to Fuenguirola when picking up guests from the airport etc.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Julie wrote:I didn't know there was one in Torrox,

correct.

its in fuengerola.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

blondie
Resident

Postby blondie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:39 pm

I would stay clear of Norauto, it seems to be their motto!

Happened to me exactly the same thing a few years back. Went in for a check on suspension since mine was making a funny boinging sound on turning full lock.They then they tell me all 4 shocks need changing and that car will not pass the ITV without it. Again this was an English plated car so maybe that had something to do with it.

Anyway I thought "sod you" and left without getting it done, and drove the car for around before eventually getting it ITV´d. Passed first time.

DO NOT GO TO NORAUTO.
Last edited by blondie on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:19 pm

We went to Norauto (Fuengirola) last year. They aren't cheap either. This is what I posted

repairs in Spain
by katy on Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 am

Before we drove through France in OH's car he had it checked and told the garage there was some vibration from the front side. They said it was fine but needed tracking etc. Took it to the large one near Dunnes in Fuengirola, they said it needed two tyres (one had gone hard ). Next day the vibration was worse, OK until around 80KMH. Took it back and they did it for free but was still as bad as ever. No time to go back before journey. OH thought it must be something serious. When we arrived in the UK he took it to the dealers, they tracked and balanced it...perfect.

How could they have got it wrong twice, maybe their equipment is faulty, or they just don't care katy
Andalucia Guru

Private message

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:02 pm

blondie wrote:Anyway I thought "sod you" and left without getting it done, and drove the car for around another 18 months before eventually getting it ITV´d. Passed first time.
i wouldnt advertise that on a monitored board ;)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Just like Quickfit in the UK. You go in to get a puncture repaired and all of a sudden you need a new exhaust, shocks, alignment etc. Rogues and scum the lot of them.
Dave