3 dogs on Brittany Ferries Pont Aven

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
alpumar
Tourist

3 dogs on Brittany Ferries Pont Aven

Postby alpumar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:37 am

Hi

I've just booked a ferry crossing on the Pont Aven for my 2 vehicles and 3 dogs. I am curious as to any advice or feedback anyone has about the crossing, particularly as regards boarding. Do dog owners' vehicles get priority ? Are the dogs taken on by foot independently of the vehicle ? Basically how does it work ?

Thanks

Alpumar

ValL
Resident

Re: 3 dogs on Brittany Ferries Pont Aven

Postby ValL » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 am

As far as I can remember from about 2 yrs ago They have to be at ferry 2 hrs before boarding for papers and chip check. Your car gets a sticker that indicates pet on board and there was a seperate queue. The 'pet' cars all go in area on ferry at bottom of lift as kennels are on deck 10 top centre of ship, very stable. Dogs stay in your car till others boarded then you are called to go straight up. Dogs must be muzzled and on lead ( very few people obeyed this and there was a bit of a hoo haa between some dogs and owners). You go in lift with the papers and their bed bowls food etc to be signed in and allocated kennel number, think it was small dogs on top row bigger ones on bottom where possible. There is tap for water and hosing downing your dog mess, again very few owners did clean up that well after their dogs, bins for rubbish. Two excerise areas with a few seats. Some owners stayed up there the whole time with their dogs practically made little tents in the corners with picnic baskets. In Pont Avon you get a credit card type access key for the kennels and had free access. We took our dogs bed and bowls plus food and treats, harnass lead and muzzle. She was prefectly fine in there. No problem at all. A few owners never secured the doors properly and dogs were loose at times also a few had small dogs that were abe to get through the bars. One owner had travelled many times and had a mesh guard tied to door to keep his dog safe. The dog deck is above the sun deck and is supposed to be accessed by dog owners only, it clearly was not kept secure and few folks wandered up and complained about the mess !! it is dog excercise area of course dogs mess there !!! On leaving you load them in reverse dogs first then people, we did seem to be off ferry pretty quickly. I would have been happier if you had to walk through disinfectant to get in and out of kennels as you then walk all over ship firstly through sun bathing deck ugh with mucky feet. I have photos somewhere if you want to see them.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:10 am

Hi alpumar,
ValL has given a good write up.........still current.

Just make sure your Pet Passports are in order.............

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pet-f ... -checklist

The guy at Santander is very thorough................

Have a good trip............Pont-Aven is the best all round one of the fleet for Dogs and owners.

Must dash have Ferry to catch........... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

alpumar
Tourist

Postby alpumar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks. We have been caught out before with our dogs papers so we are now very, very, very thorough when checking everything is in order.

The reason I am concerned is that our dogs will be travelling in our motorhome with my girlfriend, and I will be separate in another vehicle. We are very likely to be sent to different queues to board the ferry and she will struggle alone with 3 large, excitable, campo dogs who are not as used to being on a lead as they should be. Also need to carry up their bedding etc. Perhaps she can take one at a time if I can't find her to help ?

Saludos

Alpumar

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 pm

May be a silly suggestion but can one of the dogs not travel in other vehicle from dog check in ? therefore all being the 'dog' queue and parked in same area.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi alpumar,
ValL has a good idea.............spilt the dogs so at least one of you will only have two to manage.

I've just come over from Santander..............make sure you have muzzles for the dogs, they are hot on that now.
You need to be at check-in 90mins before sailing.
On the Pont Aven you will go up to Deck 10 in a lift, there are then some stairs to climb to get to the Kennels. The first time I took my Huskies they had never climbed stairs before , but made light work of them.
The major road works ( A-1 Madrid - Burgos) they had in place at the end of last year look mostly completed , there are some lane narrowing in places, but no carriageway switching.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.