Dogs in Restaurants

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dogs in Restaurants

Postby Kathy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Can anyone tell me where the law stands on dogs in cafes and restaurants in Spain?

Yesterday I went to a cafe, which also has a deli counter, in walked a woman with two dogs, I was with a friend who is terribly allergic to dogs. I explained the problem to the customer and she apologized and took them outside.

Then another lady walked in with another dog and sat right beside us, my friend by this time wanted to leave. Which we did.

The girl working in the cafe said she had no idea about how the law stands on dogs, but she thought that I would have to complain, before she could ask the owner to change seats to the outdoor terrace.

Ideas anyone?

Martin Page
Resident

Re: Dogs in Restaurants

Postby Martin Page » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:51 am

Compalin - simplez

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:38 pm

It's perfectly normal to see dogs in the outside terraces, you can do almost anything there, even smoke. It is quite common to see dogs inside bars or cafes, I think it's entirely up to the prorietor.
Ann

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:30 pm

I don't know where the EU stands on this but in Holland it's normal to see two or three dogs at a time in restaurants, particularly upmarket ones, doesn't bother me as long as they are quiet and peaceful.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I think that dogs are allowed in restaurants if they behave themselves and don't light up cigarettes. :wink:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:15 pm

Bowler wrote:I don't know where the EU stands on this but in Holland it's normal to see two or three dogs at a time in restaurants, particularly upmarket ones, doesn't bother me as long as they are quiet and peaceful.
So true of Holland. Dogs are everywhere in schevenengen and Den Haag, even seen large German shepherds in posh places. Smoking friendly place too :P

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Slightly off thread but you can't smoke in bars and restaurants in the Netherlands in fact you can't smoke a spliff in a coffee shop if it has been made with tobacco in it!

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:45 pm

quebin wrote:Slightly off thread but you can't smoke in bars and restaurants in the Netherlands in fact you can't smoke a spliff in a coffee shop if it has been made with tobacco in it!
I thought they changed the law back again in Holland ? About 2 months ago.
Todos somos Lorca.

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:13 pm

The law has not been rectified yet, they are experimenting, you can choose to be non smoking if you like, if you wish people to smoke inyour premises you have to inform the local police.
My good friend and business aquaintence lives in Utrecht and tells me that the local pubs are starting to pick up more business, the Dutch have always been laid back about peoples behaviour in public, it's quite simple really if you don't smoke then go to a smoking free pub, why foist your principles on other people ?

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:54 am

The comment about the dog lighting a cig made me smile.

Would still like to know where the law stands on this issue of dogs inside of cafes and restaurants

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:08 pm

From LEY DE PROTECCIÓN ANIMAL- JUNTA ANDALUCÍA

LEY 11/2003, de 24 de noviembre, de protección de los animales.
EL PRESIDENTE DE LA JUNTA DE ANDALUCÍA

Artículo 14. Acceso a establecimientos públicos.
1. Los animales de compañía podrán tener limitado su acceso a hoteles, restaurantes, bares, tabernas y aquellos otros establecimientos públicos en los que se consuman bebidas y comidas cuando el titular del establecimiento determine las condiciones específicas de admisión, previa autorización administrativa por el órgano competente. En este caso, deberán mostrar un distintivo que lo indique, visible desde el exterior del establecimiento.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 pm

quebin wrote:Slightly off thread but you can't smoke in bars and restaurants in the Netherlands in fact you can't smoke a spliff in a coffee shop if it has been made with tobacco in it!
Still off thread, but the smoking ban in the Netherlands has been partially lifted. If you are the owner of a bar and it is under 70m2, you may allow smoking on the premises.

(This news was welcomed by Beagles)
Dave

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 pm

[Still off thread, but the smoking ban in the Netherlands has been partially lifted. If you are the owner of a bar and it is under 70m2, you may allow smoking on the premises.

(This news was welcomed by Beagles)[/quote]

If this is true, then why don't all bar owners in the EU claim parity with their Dutch counterparts and everybody would be happy again?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:16 am

AS we're going slightly off thread, but still about dogs... :)
Just reading off a council in Bilbao have passed a law that all dogs have to have their DNA taken, and any "forgotten" deposits in parks, pavements etc will be analysed and the offenders fined €300. Failure to get your dog done results in a similar fine.
Bring it on! :thumbup:
http://www.abc.es/20110406/sociedad/abc ... 10406.html
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Dogs are nasty, smelly beasts and I cannot understand anyone wishing to have such a filthy animal in their house.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Frank,
I was interested in your post as you mentioned Bilbao.I like the idea of this but it turns out that the council isn't actually in our province but in Gipuzkoa and the party in question are the ultra left nationlists ANV, which has been known to support ETA. They are often coming up with schemes like this.
I'm not sure how they could enforce this law either so mores the pity that the dogs will keep on leaving their business around the place.
A decent deterrent around here are little signs placed on the grass saying things like "this is not a toilet", which seem to have had an effect because there's a lot less crap around than before.
What's even more incredible is that dogs can read.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:52 am

pigs-might-fly wrote:Dogs are nasty, smelly beasts and I cannot understand anyone wishing to have such a filthy animal in their house.
Whilst appreciating that in some cases your statment has truth the reality is that for every dog that's not fit to be in a house there are at least 10,000 people that fit the same category. I'd certainly prefer most dogs in my house to the majority of people ! :lol:
Todos somos Lorca.

Bowler
Resident

Postby Bowler » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 pm

gus-lopez wrote:
pigs-might-fly wrote:Dogs are nasty, smelly beasts and I cannot understand anyone wishing to have such a filthy animal in their house.
Whilst appreciating that in some cases your statment has truth the reality is that for every dog that's not fit to be in a house there are at least 10,000 people that fit the same category. I'd certainly prefer most dogs in my house to the majority of people ! :lol:
Absolutely correct, some humans are worse than pigs !!

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:42 am

I also cannot stand to have dogs in restaurants. I wonder what all the dog-lovers would say if I brought my pet tortoise in and let it roam around, or let my parrot fly around, or stuck my goldfish bowl on the table? At least the tortoise and fish won't smell, have ticks or fleas or want to lick my face (the parrot might though!) :)

The law banning them (as well as smoking) in restaurants can't come quick enough for me!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:54 am

gus-lopez wrote: at for every dog that's not fit to be in a house there are at least 10,000 people that fit the same category.
At least I have never seen (yet!) a person in a restaurant sit on the floor and lick his 'arris and knackers!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.