shore fishing?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

shore fishing?

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Does anyone know a reasonable rig for shore fishing from rocks (might head to Decathlon)?
WHat type of fish can be caught around the costa from rocks in fairly shallow water?

Martin Page
Resident

Re: shore fishing?

Postby Martin Page » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 pm

The main criteria is your casting skills .... if you can get the distance most of the costal rocks level out to sand at about 100m so there fore you can use a typical 3 snood with a suitable weighted bomb. If there not so good id sugest that you go for a typical 'big float' set up with a single snood set on a running line limited with a rubber band thread to the depth required .. ( I usually set at about 4m depending on the rocks under the water level)

Main types of fish I've caught are striped bass, blue bass, garfish, blenies,and rock wrass .. depending on which bait you use. I tend to go for peeler crab if I can find them, Pulpo (cuttle fish ), worm (from the vending machines) if im feeling flush.

Baiting the swim with chum helps draw the bait fish in

If you get a shoal ... be ready to snap tackle and switch rapidly to spinner, lure or feather !

If your going fishing to catch fish ,,, you will be very dissapointed ! - Go fishing for the pleasure and the tranquility and to ponder the meanings of life ... if you catch ... thats a bonus

..... And remember you need a beach licence or the boys in blue confiscate your tackle !

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:34 am

Most of the fishing I have done has been river trout and it has been a while since I shore casted so I have no idea on the distance. Anything basic to start with would probably be best...
Is there anyway to set up a float with an artificial bait/lure for rock fishing?
http://www.northamptonneneanglingclub.c ... 20Rigs.htm

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:40 pm

No ... forget all that light weigth stuff for coarse fising you need a BIG slip float capable of cocking with 25-50 gms. Thats a float with a tube right through the middie so that the line passes through the core of the float. First you thread a fine bore bead onto you main line (I use 18kg) then the float then a swivel, The weight is attached to a few cm's of 10Kg trace (sacrificial in case of snag) at the other end of the swivel as a well as a meter of 15kg line to the hook. (I wouldnt use a snood on this set up since your likely to tangle with the swell)

With this the whole line will slide through the float. You set your depth with a piece of rubber band (about 20 mm long) slipped through a double loop in your line to the depth you want. this then stops since it cant pass through the bead above the float. Dont worry about it going throught the eyes of your rod, and onto the real, there will be no problem casting .. 50gm, with a decent cast, will get a fair way out and will pull the piece of rubber band through the rod eyes with no problem at a depth much deeper than the length of your rod.

If the float lies flat on the water your either fising too deep and have bottomed, or the rubber band has been sliced with the line ... Take plent of rubber bands with you to cut up !

For float fising always use bait !

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Do you have a diagram anywhere - am looking it up at the moment.
Most of the setups seem to be of this variety: http://www.seafishingonline.com/Fishing ... ng_Rig.htm

Also, for the float, what about: http://www.decathlon.es/flotadores-elem ... 12_12.html
or
http://www.decathlon.es/flotadores-elem ... 1537.html#
If the float is 25g, then get a 25g lead weight also?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:43 pm

Martin Page wrote:The main criteria is your casting skills .... if you can get the distance most of the costal rocks level out to sand at about 100m
I am guessing that you are talking about the Atlantic coast. In the Med the water gets very much deeper very quickly - I speak as a sailor not an angler! You will really need to pick the right spot.

Sid

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:14 am

like this: http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... float.html

?

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Yes - that last one is the set up I use but a bigger float ... and I tend to loop the line round the rubber band rather than the rubber band round the line (as shown) in much the same way. That way the line doesnt slip through the rubber band.
This alows you to fish at any depth and as cid says that can be deep in the med
And I also use a bomb weigth (not a pierced bullet) on a sacrificial short length of line tied to the swivel when fishing over rocks ( it always the weight that gets snagged) as I originally said .

- good fishing

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

We caught loads of mackerel with the kids from some rocks at Puerto Duquesa. We just watched the spanish blokes fishing and copied them.....then we gave them the fish :D Nothing technical just a cheap rod and some homemade bait (think it was bread and oily fish mashed up) and a lorra luck ! Was great fun.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Costapacket, that sounds like fun, and bbq food, can you say what month the macheral was caught in,??

costapacket
Resident

Postby costapacket » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Yes it was early August.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Someone on an angling forum said that fishing was a load of carp.
:lol:
Dave

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 pm

As a matter of interest how do you go about getting a beach licence? :roll:

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Go to your closest ministy of agriculter and fisheries .. with Passport, NIE, and Padron .. you might as wll get a boat licenece, just in case, for the few euros they cost !

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:12 am

Martin Page wrote:Go to your closest ministy of agriculter and fisheries .. with Passport, NIE, and Padron .. you might as wll get a boat licenece, just in case, for the few euros they cost !
I thought fishing from the beach was free in Spain?
Can't you just get the licence from a bank directly?

For those not holding a foreign fishing licence, a Spanish licence can be obtained from a local office of the Ministerio de Medio Ambiente. Applicants must pass an exam in Spanish before being granted a licence.

EXAM?