Residencia application

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
foremarion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residencia application

Postby foremarion » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Has anyone any idea about latest time limit for residencia application. Went to Marbella police this morning waited 6 hours to be told our application is now in Malaga - initially it was Marbella. We applied beginning of February. :evil:

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:01 pm

Mine took 11 months.

spain_pam
Tourist

Postby spain_pam » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:41 pm

mine took 7 months (and is wrong- so have to get it changed at sometime!) Hubby was told to go back in 3 months so he did and they told him to go back in another 3-4 months :shock:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:55 pm

The time it takes depends on where you live.

Generally it is pretty bad in Malaga province but in Granada province it takes 2 months from application to getting the card

Sid

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:30 pm

9 months in Sevilla province.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:37 am

The time it takes depends on where you live.
The time it takes depends on the amount of applications that are in process/demand.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:14 am

The processing of NIE applications and residencias is also being affected by a work to rule by the Policia Nacional.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:04 pm

Why do you want residencia?
Slainte,
JohnP.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:24 pm

jpinks wrote:Why do you want residencia?
I should imagine that the fact that it is still a legal requirement for most people living permanently in Spain would be a good enough reason!

Sid

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:57 pm

Interesting - I have been told it is no longer a requirement to have residencia in countries within the EEC. Just photographic ID. You need a NIE number to do various things like buying property, but I have never been asked for my residencia for *anything*.
Slainte,
JohnP.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:44 pm

There does indeed seem to be very little benefit in having residencia apart from the fact that it is a useful ID.

Most of the financial considerations of residency do not need a card as has been discussed many times.

However it still remains the law that unless you are working and paying social security or receiving a Spanish pension or you are a student, it is still required for permanent residents.

Sid

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:24 pm

El Cid wrote:However it still remains the law that unless you are working and paying social security or receiving a Spanish pension or you are a student, it is still required for permanent residents.
Is that spanish law or EU law? My information is that EU law does not require residencia, and EU law over-rides a country's law on this point.
Slainte,
JohnP.

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Residencia Application

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:15 pm

I've just been told in Torremolinos it's a 7 month wait for residencia, also I've never benefitted in Spain from having residencia, only ever used it for ID, but when we lived in the Canaries, we used to get good discounts on water, flights , ferries and even all the tourist attractions, usually 30% off , much more civilised!!!!!!!!

Lorriane

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:39 pm

jpinks wrote:[ Is that spanish law or EU law? My information is that EU law does not require residencia, and EU law over-rides a country's law on this point.
EU law is only relevant if a member state implements that law which, in the case of Spain, can take years.

I can only refer you to the UK Consulate website which clearly states the present requirement.

It is more than likely that it will change next year but the law, in Spain, is clear.

I cannot understand why so many people have such a reluctance to apply for residencia. It is so easy to obtain, albeit with some delay in some areas, and has no effect on your taxation status anyway, which is decided by the actuality of your time spent in Spain.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:02 pm

I think it derives from the same attitude that makes foreigners reluctant to register on the padrón of the municipality in which they reside upon which funding of the police, fire service, health service, libraries, road repairs, public transport and other municipal facilities are based.

These same people are usually the first to complain about the state of the roads or if they have to wait any length of time before being attended in the local health centre or don't get the service they expect from the police.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:31 am

The reluctance is probably because of the unwillintgness to truly give up their UK rights. As Beachcomber says - the same people want to have their cake *and* to eat it.
The whole issue is a beaurocrats dream, there are so many registrations needed - NIE, Padron, residencia, tax, etc. and there is not always consistency of application by different provinces either, so no wonder people get confused. Even different gestors and lawyers give differing advice.
Slainte,
JohnP.

foremarion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby foremarion » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:10 pm

Why do we want residencia - the very next topic in this section refers to tax and residencia. Guess what - more confusion. :?: :!:

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:08 am

We applied for residencia over two years ago, and all we needed then was our passports and 3 photos, so why oh why are so called 'experts' in getting residencia still telling people they need proof of income and proof of medical cover and enough paperwork to fill an office! We have come across one such person who charges a fortune (over 150E) to sort these issues out whilst causing unnecessary stress to the people who are going through the process ! I'm all for helping people out but fleecing them is a totally different ball game.

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:06 pm

What you need must depend on the area you live Jane. We have to have a certificate of empadronamiente as well as passports and photos where I live but def not proof of medical or income any more. You will always get conflicting advice on here if the question is answered by people in different areas. But you make a valid point that too many people answer queries with out of date or inaccurate info taken from the net. But then I don't think anyone would seriously act on info from here any more than you would automatically follow the advice of someone you met in a pub. The advice though gives you the fuller picture.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:20 pm

The requirements for paperwork to go with your application are clearly laid down on the application form and are the same nationally. All you need is your passport and copies and 3 photos of the correct type and size.

They do not expressly ask for a Padron certificate, but since it is the only way you can prove where you actually live, it seems sensible to have one available in case you are asked for it.

Sid