shar pei puppies

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Jool
Andalucia Guru

Re: shar pei puppies

Postby Jool » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Hmmm - well microchips ARE a legal requirement for dog owners in Andalucia....!! sorry I doñ´t think allowing your dog to get pregnant so young, have puppies, potentially damage dog´s health and then lose puppies only to repeat it all again and have hormones screwed up is very loving, but then I´m a purist where animals are concerned.

This is where I think education comes in and maybe there should be an initial grant to vets for 50% cost spaying or castrating, probably the later as that is cheaper op.......and we only need to focus on one half really!

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Re the Microchip (off topic i know)

Just had annual boosters done last week and it was rather interesting to know that now all jab info, and general medical history has to be recorded on the the microchip database!! i.e. they will no longer jab unless pet has a chip.

Our vet informed us this was due to a Rabies outbreak in Andalucia last year (aprox 9 months ago) that emerged from Morocco.

At least now vets can enforce Microchipping!!! Its a start

cozykennels
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cozykennels » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 pm

oliveview01 wrote:Our Spanish neighbour found 2 newborn puppies in a carrier bag and bought them home. She made a fantastic job of handrearing them. They are given food, shelter and love. They just do not think it is worth having the b itch spayed nor the male castrated. The b itch had pups at 6 months ( they all died) then got pregnant 6 months later, had injections to abort the pups. 6 months later she had another litter, they were all taken to the vet at 2 days old ( so they said) the b itch is now on a human birth control pill once a week (Sundays with some sausage)
They take the dogs to the vet if they are ill, they have tick treatment..... But no microchip or spaying/castrating, why waste money they say!

Very Strange?!!?

Surely have the female sterilized would be the better solution?? The jabs for abortion are very expensive (16kilo = 90euros) obviously more depending on weight whereas sterilization is approx 180E

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

It is a difficult issue, I think education is the only answer not policing.
We have two Spanish weekend neighbours. One of them has a little dog which is well looked after, it goes back to her townhouse when they leave. Her brother who lives next door has about 6 small dogs. I say about because they don’t last long, usually about 18 months. Now that he is unemployed he comes once a day to feed them but that wasn’t always the case. They roam the tracks when he is not there and get knocked down or killed by bigger dogs.
When we bought our house 9 years ago he had shut one of them in our almacen. We took it to him and asked if it was one of his dogs, he told us that it was our welcome present., which we politely declined.
At that time we were only fenced on 3 sides and that dog decided to spend weekdays in our company and weekends with him. To our horror we discovered that she had decided to give birth to two puppies in our outside kitchen area. We told him about it and he said that it was our responsibility as it was our dog! We still have the two puppies now 8 years old, the little black dog was sterilized and she is still here 11 years old.
We are now fully fenced and dog proof.
Two years ago we heard whimpering at out gate and discovered one of his dogs with its back leg bleeding profusely. We rushed it to the vet and explained the situation. She thought that it might be possible to save his leg but that it would be expensive and he would need a lot of care for many weeks and told us to speak to his owner. His answer was “have him put down”
We didn’t, he had two operations, we visited him every day until he got out of hospital 10 days later. He then had to go back to the vet every day for a month (including Christmas day) to get his dressings changed. €1,000 later we are proud to have him as a family member.
We pleaded with him to keep the dogs shut in his land for their own safety. He did that for about a year but now they just roam. His sister also fell out with him for a while over the way he keeps his dogs. I don’t see what else I can do, he is related to about 80% of the nearby Spanish neighbours and he looks after our fruit trees, denouncing him is not an option if we want to live here in harmony.
Ann

Technobear
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Technobear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

I agree with most posts here, it's about education and sterilization.

I'm currently living in switzerland though moving to spain in 3 weeks :)
Whilst here I bought a pedigree white shepherd,
partly, as i was 'ignorant' of the plight of stray dogs, perhaps because it's not as big an issue in Switzerland, and it was my first dog and didn't belong to the dog community.
Also,partly, as I wanted to ensure temperament and know what I was getting.

However, even a pedigree, is no guarantee!
My dog had a serious heart condition, which cost us thousands in surgery /vet fees and also has led to an extremely nervous dog, with associated behavior issues :(
i know, theoretically I could have returned it to breeder - but you dont, she was now my dog, so I wanted to do all I could for and get the treatment she needed. ( would the breeder?)

Also, I don't know about Spain, but the Swiss have a weird belief that sterilizing dogs is unnatural/cruel - despite the vets here, being very pro. So more education needed.

Anyway, thanks to the posters like cozy, I'm far more aware of the issues in Spain, and when I can will be adopting a rescue (or two) ... If some locals don't find us first :(

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 pm

It seems to me that you have to just keep plugging away at the people whom one thinks are ignorant, my neighbor has had numerous dogs other the years we have been here and they always end up pregnant and dumped, they are not looked after by my standards, but in her own way she does care about them, anyway a couple of years ago when the last one was dumped because it had puppies yet again, I went to the rescue and got a small bitch and had it spayed and gave it too her, now the dog has a life, maybe not perfect but much better than the dog pound and I feel quite sure she will have her forever, it is expensive to have them done, and she also would never see the sense in paying for the op, and I have to add, its the cleverest dog I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with, she had been dumped with 6 puppies the vet said she was only a puppy herself, so at least one reasonably good ending.
And she is actually allowed in doors, which non of the others were, meaning she has realized that dogs do have a personality :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:18 pm

A report here about some of these so called caring loving dog breeders and how they show them because they love them. :twisted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... imals.html

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Which one's the dog? The one on the left or the one on the right. :lol:

Sid

guineapiggirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby guineapiggirl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Just to add my five pennyworth,I would like to say that as a breeder of pedigree dogs in a past life in the UK,it is very often wise to allow a bitch to have one litter in her life as to have no puppies ever can very often lead to the bitch having uterus problems further down the line. This happened to me with my stolen and returned Italian Spinone. I had her mated in the UK before moving to Spain but she didn´t take so came to Spain with us without ever producing a litter. I don´t like spayed or neutered animals; I don´t like the constant weight worry and also, many spayed bitches develop bladder weakness and if long coated,can develop ungroomable,wooly coats. All minor things you may think but they are my personal bugbears ( AND THE DOGS! ) My Spinone developed metritus,at Christmas of course,and needed emergency surgery at the vet hospital in Cartagena which undoubtedly saved her life. She now has an incontinence problem and has to be clipped out several times a year as her rough coat now grows in woolly and tangles easily.
I totally agree with the person with the GSD´s I also own one of these wonderful dogs and have always owned them all my life.The one I have now was bought from a breeder in the north of Spain and has lived up to my expectations of this wonderful breed ( except when he let the burglars in last month and allowed them to kidnap his friend the Spinone!!) With a specific breed one knows what character,intelligence,breed capabilities one can expect whereas with a rescue/street dog this might well be an unknown and also come with many problems caused by a traumatic first few weeks/months of life.
I´ve had a rescue dog here in Spain. I found him by the side of the road,emaciated,covered in fleas and ticks with many wounds. He grew into a big monster of a softy with a pea brain but was very kind and he also died within 2 years of him coming to live with us.
People will always want a purebred dog---let them choose for themselves without castigation.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 pm

El Cid wrote:Which one's the dog? The one on the left or the one on the right. :lol:

Sid
Neither one is the dog. They are both b1tches :lolno:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Guineapig...Utter tripe. Can't evem be bothered to rubbish your statements. I don't debate with nutters :crazy:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Katy - I do think that was entirely uncalled for :thumbdown:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:03 am

katy wrote:Guineapig...Utter tripe. Can't evem be bothered to rubbish your statements.
You just did.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

guineapiggirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby guineapiggirl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 pm

Such vitriol in your posts Katy.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:52 pm

guineapiggirl wrote:Such vitriol in your posts Katy.
You are obviously new on here. That was quite mild, wait to she really gets started.
Just ignore her as most other people on here do.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:21 pm

A bit deep wasn't it? :shock:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Our pup was castrated when young, he is a right tubby dog now, but the day we got him at about 6 weeks old I had written that we had a new puppy, he looked like he was going to be a big (as in tubby) dog as he had loads of 'spare' skin to grow into. He has a measured amount if food each night, and if we have fruit a piece of fruit for a treat. His mum had 3 pups out in the olive grove, she was abandoned/stray, the mum and pups were all found homes by a Spanish man. We don't have a clue what type of dog fathered our dog, I suspect by pups shape it was a pot bellied pig! Our b-itch was spayed, had we not spayed her I dread to think of how many pups she would have had, she is a really friendly dog and would go with any dog, she loves all dogs!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:12 pm

K,
Best to engage brain first.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:36 pm

Maybe I was a bit harsh, I should have said a nutty post instead :) Think someone before me disengaged their brain! As for ignoring me... I wish. Other posters can say the same thing as I do without any response. There are a few posters who never have anything to say except in response to my posts. Forum bullies, trolls or what. Shall not say what I call them.
I just don't suffer fools..........or pedigree dog owners. :twisted:

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:42 am

Katy,
It's a bit bit harsh to blame pedigree dog owners today who might have a 14 year old dog and didn't know ay better at the time. The fact is that these pedigree dogs need a good home.
How can we persuade these dog breeders to desist :?:
Ann