Melilla and Ceuta

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
lis48
Resident

Melilla and Ceuta

Postby lis48 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:14 pm

I'm really interested in advice from anyone who has been to either of these. It looks like the best way to Melilla is an Iberian flight from Malaga as the ferry from there takes 7 hours. Is that correct? Has anyone stayed at the parador there as I can't find any useful reviews on the net or are other hotels better? Which would they recommend for shops selling cloth? And which is the more interesting town to wander around or do you recommend using a guide as in Tangiers?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:42 am

The ferry does take a long time, but if the weather is good its a nice trip..flying is up then down on smallish plane...I prefer the ferry.
Mellila is just one town, but you can adventure into Nador in Morroco.
If you are looking to buy cloth then maybe Tangiers would be best fro you and there are a lot more other tourists around.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:11 am

Was tempted once to explore Ceuta on a 'cheap Saturday return ticket' which was excellent value but there was too much mist in the Straits and I decided to leave it for another time. At Algeciras ferry there are plenty of small travel shops close to the actual ticket hall where you could, if you wanted, also buy a trip from Ceuta up to the hills at Tetouan. The ferries from Algeciras are frequent and times can be found on this site: http://www.puertodeceuta.com/esp/Horari ... vieras.asp
I see that there is also a helicopter service between Malaga and Ceuta. That should be amazing !

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:30 pm

Thanks Silver and Nige for helpful info. I'm tempted by the helicopter trip. Has anyone been to both Ceuta and Melilla?