Travelling to Andalucia - La Mancha

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:33 am

Better than sitting glued to a TV watching football or cricket!
Slainte,
JohnP.

angel
Tourist

quijote

Postby angel » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:49 am

well my partners first language is Spanish - so that makes it easier!

As for you Mr Cruz Campo "Guru", I think you will find that reading is quite a common occurance all over the world no matter how busy you are.

Turn off the sky box, flip open a bottle and try it!

fearfulfred
Resident

Manzanares

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi there

Stayed in Manzanares for close to a month. We stayed at the Parador there and it was nice though the food got boring..any hotel does after a month. Almagro nearby is a lovely village to visit if you get the chance. no idea on prices as it was work related and customer picking up the charges though, Los Tablas de Damiel is nice nature park if you are there for migration times.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:00 pm

I think youll find Angel that football is a big part of Spanish culture, relevant to the modern Spaniard,men and women, much more than Cervantes.
Next time im in a bar in Spain, ill be watching the match like everybody else, not reading a book!
Who knows?, maybe I am going to the wrong bars.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:54 pm

You pre-suppose that others want to go into a bar - hardly an interesting place to be. I find that the Spanish people would *much* rather welcome you into their homes for a coffee or glass of wine - and the conversation is civilised too.
Maybe you are only relating to that part of the Spanish population which is approximately similar to yourself?
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:42 pm

I dont agree. Not at all.
The bar or cafeteria is a huge part of Spanish life.
Eating out or taking a cana or cafe in a bar is very much part of Spanish culture.
Polite dinner parties are very much an English middle class thing.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:53 pm

You really don't get it - where did I mention "polite dinner parties"??????
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:19 pm

You didnt have to JP!

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Well - I'm glad I don't go to dinner parties, am not English, and don't feel that I have to go to a bar to be sociable just because you think it's culturally important.
Your comments regarding barlife could apply to a lot more countries than Spain - England being one of them - so it isn't an essentially Spanish thing. There are many other facets to life here which are much more uniquely Spanish, but you might not know about them if you don't actually live here.
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:00 pm

Your suggestion that a Spanish person would much rather have you round for a glass of wine and 'civilised' conversation seems totally snobbish (I presume uncivilised conversation is talking about football?).
I lived in Spain for many years and I know that the cafeteria is the central meeting point where you would have a beer and chat. Or a glass of wine if you prefer.The conversation would be anything but civilised. And Real Madrid would be mentioned much more than Cervantes.
Get off your high horse JP! Maybe you should get out more, meet some of the common people.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:17 pm

kevin77 wrote:Your suggestion that a Spanish person would much rather have you round for a glass of wine and 'civilised' conversation seems totally snobbish (I presume uncivilised conversation is talking about football?).
I lived in Spain for many years and I know that the cafeteria is the central meeting point where you would have a beer and chat. Or a glass of wine if you prefer.The conversation would be anything but civilised. And Real Madrid would be mentioned much more than Cervantes.
Get off your high horse JP! Maybe you should get out more, meet some of the common people.
Well - we obviously are diametrically opposed on this - so I will only say that you have a very biased view of people and a presumptive arrogance that is amazingly narrow-minded. Please don't assume anything about me or my life-style - you'll be wrong every time.
Slainte,
JohnP.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:25 pm

And the same goes for me.
Just because I like a Cruzcampo and La Liga more than Cervantes dont suggest that im a pig ignorant low life.
Get back to digging out your septic tank Knowall!

angel
Tourist

cervantes

Postby angel » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:54 pm

I think this is a personal battle - I´m going now to read my book in the bar and watch the footy! chao

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Real Madrid lost again.This means that they are going to sack another manager!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:22 pm

kevin77 wrote: Get off your high horse JP! Maybe you should get out more, meet some of the common people.
He doesn't mix with the common people, as he said, everyone he has ever met in Spain is a property owner. This man doesn't mix with riff-raff! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:33 pm

Yes Frank, but I find that digging out your own **** is a great leveller!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:13 am

Cervantes Saavedra, Miguel de (1547-1616), Spanish writer, considered by many to be the greatest Spanish author, whose novel Don Quixote (Part I, 1605; Part II, 1615) is regarded as one of the masterpieces of world literature. Because of his eloquent style and remarkable insight, Cervantes has achieved acclaim comparable to that given to such literary greats as Greek poet Homer, Italian poet Dante Alighieri, and English playwright William Shakespeare.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:07 pm

Wow Silver, did you write that all yourself ? You must be a real intellectual.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:52 pm

kevin77
Wow Silver, did you write that all yourself ? You must be a real intellectual.
No kevin...when I dont know something I simple do a google search to find out..its easy..give it a try..knowledge is a fine thing.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:01 am

kevin77 wrote:Wow Silver, did you write that all yourself ? You must be a real intellectual.

No, you can tell the quotes, they are not littered with spelling mistakes.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?