Hand rearing week old orphaned kittens

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Hand rearing week old orphaned kittens

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Today I was given 2 orphaned kittens, aprox a week old, their mother was killed by a lorry. Any help on rearing the kittens gratefully recieved. Today they will have to have cows milk, that is what the lady was giving them, tomorrow I will buy correct milk from the pet suppliers. I know about rubbing their tummy to make them pee. I am not tempting fate by naming them yet nor taking a photo. They are both males, hopefully! A grey and ginger and a brown and ginger. Rats you are on notice to leave!!! Who bets they won't be good ratters? Any info greatfully received, thanks!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Hand rearing week old orphaned kittens

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Feed them the special dried milk you can get from the vet/pet shop. It will be every 2 hours 24/7 initially!

If you persevere it will work. We raised 2 kittens like this 14 years ago - one is still with us.

Best of luck!

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks Cid, just as well I have a cold and not sleeping well! At the moment neighbour gave me a hair dye bottle with long spout with sponge poking out, they are not keen. One just peed loads when rubbing tummy the other not much. There is no sign of thier umbilical cord, so at least there is no problem there. Just weighed them 116 & 118 gms. The other fully grown cats there are all skinny, typical campo cats.
Better go and get a siesta before the next feed!

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Whatever you do - don't give them cows milk. If you are having trouble getting the powdered milk then use goats milk with an egg yolk mixed into it (no white). I have reared loads of puppies on this and they come on really well. Good Luck!!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:21 pm

You should be able to get feeding bottles at the pet shop when you get the proper milk but now you probably need little droppers which you can get from the chemist.

It's hard work but it's worth it - you will bond with them for the rest of their lives!

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:40 pm

One of the kittens we hand reared, wouldn't suck from a feeding bottle. It was only about a day old when we got it. We used a syringe to gently, and slowly, squirt the milk into its mouth.
It worked and resulted in a strong and healthy kitten.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:48 pm

We do that as well Gerry if they are too small for a bottle. But be careful not to squirt too much or you will flood their lungs and it will kill them. Just a little at a time. Once they get the taste you will find they will suck on the syringe quite happily.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:10 pm

No choice for milk today, but first thing tomorrow off to get the special milk. I know dows milk isn't correct, but it is that or starve. Off to do another feed, they pee but no poo yet, only been here 7 hours though.

Thanks for the comments.

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Don't worry if they don't poo for a bit. Get some vaseline and massage their back ends after they finish feeding. It will also help stop them getting sore bottoms

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:53 pm

I just touch one of the kittens tummy with a damp cotton bud and he pee's the other one just a drip. They do make a noise!! They have a hot water bottle under them with a fleecy blanket on top. Their eyes are not open yet. One, the one that does not pee much, really cries when I pick her up, she sounds really distressed. Our dogs have been ok, I think fat boy thinks they are squeeky toys and he is scared of squeeky toys!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm

If you have a good local vet they will probably check them out for free and give you some advice if you have any problems.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:28 am

I know why I never had a third baby, night feeds! Along with a stinking cold, I am tired, being polite here!
Kittens had 2 ml each of milk. This morning I had to waken them for their feed. I got then both to pee well too. Got Spanish class this morning, will have to leave early fir kitties. Our dogs are inquisitive, Lola washes their face after they have fed, Jumbo still isn't sure if it is a squeeky toy, he's scared if squeeky tiys :lolno:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:56 pm

One of the kittens has just died. He was always quieter than the brother who is very feisty ie vocal. Feel quite sad, he was only here 3 days, I was quite attached to him ,although I have an feeling he might have been a she. There are 3 more, or there were, I will go back later to see if there is one alive still. I think the one we have will make it, he is very noisy, I got a new feeding bottle today, the milk was guzzled down fast!!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:44 pm

It's hard work raising orphans. I've raised more than I care to think about & some babies just need their mums too much. I have always syringe fed as I find that they don't take to the bottle well until around 3 weeks. The last one was dumped on my doorstep on a Sunday morning wrapped in paper as he was pretty feral (had to feed him wrapped in a towel so he wouldn't claw me for 2 days). Couldn't get any kitten formula so did a google for 'kitten glop'. I had all the ingredients at home so made some up and he gobbled it. The next day I got formula from the vet's & the b***** wouldn't have it so I continued making the glop. I found that 'movements' were easier than with previous kitties & he seemed to grow much more steadily. My 1 yr old kitty also liked to have a little saucer full. It's much cheaper than buying the commercial formula!
Good luck with your baby and pleeeeeeease post some pics!!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:24 am

I thought you might like a kitten update. We took feisty kitty to the vet yesterday evening as he had gunky eyes, the vet squeezed out loads of nasty stuff, he cleaned the eyes and informed me that SHE needed the eyes cleaner and drops 3 times a day. The vet said no need to check for her sex, as she is 3 colours and only females are 3 colours! I had wondered if he was a she! She is part Persian too. She is 9 days old and gaining weight fast. Her little eyes are now open, a little puffy but no gunk this morning.
We also now have a ginger/white young cat too, he is about 4 months old. He will be done very soon, giving him a couple of weeks to settle. Our dogs are quite accepting of the new cat. Just need to think of a name for the cats!! Any Spanish suggestions please?

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 am

Yes tortoiseshell's are pretty much always female. The occasional male is usually sterile because the coloring comes from a genetic mutation. Tortie's are usually pretty feisty too!! I had 2 in the UK!
Glad to hear she's doing well. Warm salt water would also do the job to clean the eyes. They need need cleaning regularly too as the mother normally would which is why orphaned/abandoned kittens invariably get eye infections (I have an older cat with one eye and we think she may have lost it due to infection as a kitten).
I can't help with names but, as her character comes out I'm sure one will stick!!
Thanks for the update, now some piccies please :D

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 am

I need to go to the library for attaching photo's, I am using my mobile phone for the internet. So no photo till kitty can be left!! At least you can take a baby out with you!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 am

We took the one day old kitten we hand reared out with us.
Bought one of those soft, zip up, padded cat carriers from a todo shop.
The bottle of milk was kept in a cool box and warmed up with hot water from a vacuum flask.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

I will have a look, we are due to go to a bbq in a weeks time, thanks Gerry!

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:01 pm

oliveview01 wrote:Any Spanish suggestions please?
How about:

'Rata Asesina' - just to get her into the mindset sor her future occupation!