Death in Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
ken2
Resident

Death in Spain

Postby ken2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 am

I have to tell you mu husband Ken died in Marbella Hospital on the 8th September unexpectedly.

This was not expected and the way I was led from the Hospital Ward into arrangeing his burial
was another thing, grief stricken I had no idea what I was doing and I had no idea what you
had to do. It would appear that nobody wants to explain, I found out that the undertakers
are nothing like those in England who kindly see you through everything.

So could this forum kindly write a walk through guide explaining everything so other persons
that find themselves in the same situation like myself instead of finding out things at the last
minuet that one has to arrange the actual service among other things.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: Death in Spain

Postby Mowser » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:37 am

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Dave

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am

Such sad news, I really enjoyed reading Kens posts on here,such a nice friendly person with a great laid back style of writing.

He will, I know be so sadly missed by all of the members of the A.Com forum.

I fully understand what you have been through and it is so kind and thoughtful of you to think of other people during this harrowing time.

R.I.P Ken.

Please accept our deepest condolences , we are with you in our thoughts.

Kindest Regards,
Gordon and Pauline.x

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:47 am

So sorry to hear your sad news, ken2. I fully understand your grief. My husband died suddenly, at home, at the end of May and the way everything was dealt with and rushed through was really traumatic. I even had undertakers turning up at the house touting for work. It seems they get tipped off by the ambulance drivers and the police who get a 'commission'!!! Like you I had no idea what was expected and I just muddled through. I agree a step by step guide would be most useful, as we never actually think we will be in the situation to need it, but then who really knows when something like this will happen?

murbisa
Resident

Postby murbisa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 am

So sorry to hear that Mrs Ken. He sounded such a lovely kind man from his posts.
Take care
Muriel

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:38 am

So sorry for your loss Mrs Ken. Ken was a real character on A.com and I will particularly remember his love of chillies and his little dog.
Hope you are OK. Take care of yourself.
CR xx

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:48 am

I'd also like to express my condolences - Ken was a great character on the forum and he used to make me laugh !

A sudden death is always traumatic, but in a foreign country it must be even more so - I hope you have some family &/ or friends who can help you through it all and support you.

I agree a guide would be useful - unfortunately the people best 'qualified' to write one are the people who are grieving - maybe once they are feeling more 'normal' they could write down their experiences on a new topic and combine their info

My thoughts are with you

XXX
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm

So sorry to hear about Ken. He was a great guy and contributed some real gems on the forum. I particularly remember the saga of the box of ALDI red wine.

He will be missed by us all.

As for your comment about a guide to what to do when someone dies, I will put something together and include it in the new FAQ section which will be going live soon. If anyone would like to share their experiences with me by PM I can include them.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 pm

My condolences or your loss.
Ken was a character.
For everybody else's benefit, perhaps the simplest way is to buy a pre paid funeral plan. Then you and your partner can discuss, with the funeral director, what you want when the time comes.
Then when it does happen just one phone call to the funeral director and everything is taken care off.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Sorry to read your sad news about Ken, hope you have people around you that will help and support you.

Mhic.

janda_grant2
Resident

Postby janda_grant2 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:54 pm

I too, am sorry to hear of your loss.
I can spell but I can't type

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:45 pm

I am really sorry to hear of your loss, he came across as a really nice person.
Sid
As for your comment about a guide to what to do when someone dies, I will put something together and include it in the new FAQ section which will be going live soon.
I think that would be really useful.
Gerryth
perhaps the simplest way is to buy a pre paid funeral plan.
The trouble I have with that is that we were hoping to last another 10 or 20 years and wonder if they will still be around then.
Ann

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:04 pm

So sorry, he was a lovely man, fun-filled and his joie de vivre shone through, horrible shock for you. Please don´t be alone, we all remember Ken so if you ever want to reminisce or keep in "touch" with us we are here, any time day or night you can post and know there will

Warmest thoughts for you - hope you have family and friends around helping and supporting you?

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:25 pm

So sorry to hear such sad news, Ken came across as a lovely man. He will be missed here on A.com.
Thank you Mrs Ken for telling us.

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:17 am

I too am sorry to hear of you loss.
It is kind of you to think of others at a time like this.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:48 am

Very sorry to hear your sad news. We shall miss him. His posts used to make me laugh.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Im sorry to hear of Kens demise, he will be sadly missed . Please accept our condolances along with everyone elses.
He was a great help and assitance to me in the earlier years of migrating to Spain with good solid factual advice.
It would be a fitting tribute to Ken if we can build a definative HOW TO - guide to death in Spain

aquaman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquaman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:52 pm

My father died 2 years go and I found the system very good. The first thing to do is to find an undertaker, in the phone book, call them and get a rough estimate, most speak English. They will collect the body if the death occured at home. They sat down with me and we talked through the details, in my case a cremation, flowers, coffin, urn etc they also contacted an English Vicar to do the service, he contacted me directly and we chose hymms, the service etc. The undertaker also sent the passport to the consulate for cancellation. They also provide the official death certificate, as many copies as you want as most organisations require an original. The only thing I didn't deal with is that you have to call someone first to come and supply a certificate to remove the body, as my son speaks fluent Spanish he dealt with this, I don't know who he phoned, possibly the ambulance people. If it is an unexpected death I think you have to call the Guardia. Cost approx 3,000 euros for everything. Hope this helps. Possibly a good idea to look for an undertaker in advance..just in case.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:23 pm

I too would like to add my condolences
In Spain it is usual for everybody who knew the deceased to go to the funeral and mass.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Very sad. Hope you have some support. Didn't know Ken but I always had a picture of him laughing with a G&T in his hand.

The Funeral chasers are usually in the CDS Hospital, sure the staff tip them off. One funeral we went to in marbella had a Priest (Vicar?) from Gibraltar. He was awful and smelled of alcohol!