Members who have never posted

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
swerve
Resident

Members who have never posted

Postby swerve » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:41 pm

While looking for a member through the search option I was suprised as to how many members have took the time to register but never post either a new post or even a comment. Come on you people get your fingers out and get posting even if it's just to introduce yourself. We need some new input on here. :thumbup:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

ValL
Resident

Re: Members who have never posted

Postby ValL » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:49 pm

And risk being riduculed, picked up on spelling/ typing / grammar and told they have not asked their question in the right place, the right manner or whatever. I can see why many do not. I know if I had not been around fora for years I would be very reluctant to post anything on many forums including this one.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Well said Val.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 pm

I can understand why new members are reluctant to post when they see even well established posters being rubbished for some spelling mistakes/typos/grammatical errors.

This is just not acceptable. New posters should be encouraged to post in whatever way they choose.

In future anyone who takes this attitude with another poster will have their post deleted and any further attempts to do so will result in a permanent ban.

I hope I have made myself clear.

As I said in another thread - posts in this forum are not examined as part of the English A-Level syllabus.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 pm

I really don't believe that's the reason. Probably a third of the names are throwaways of retrop :lol: It is not very nice to ridicule people for spelling etc. but some posters ask for it. I have made a few mistakes myself..and been ridiculed, it's a forum FGS not a serious thesis. I remember one who posted a lot about being a language Teacher and kept spelling garmmar as grammer...a bit too tempting not to mention it. This forum has been running successfully for years and has always had sarky, nasty and hateful comments, would be a mistake to totally anethesise it...or should I say give it anesthetic, cos I can't spell it :wink: :mrgreen:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 pm

I agree Katy, we need a bit of banter, or it will end up so boring and everyone leaves :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:10 am

There is a world of difference between deliberately criticizing someones spelling/grammar and having a laugh about an amusing typo.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 am

I'm sure that new members are put off from posting by many things, spelling mistakes maybe, but nearly every newbie is usually accused of being 'someone else', a Troll, a business etc., so why would anyone want to start posting on here.?
And if they are 'character' members who make unusual or funny comments they will be swiftly attacked by the resident school yard bullies, who will then set out to mock and humiliate them.
So unless a new member has the skin of a rhinocerous or is skilled in turning the tables on the would be mindless attackers then my advice would be to use the excellent forum advice and facilities ...but don't attempt to join in.
A.COM Forum is not the friendliest of forums, rarely is a new member welcomed and made to feel that they are joining a friendly community...
And another thing ...whilst I have my Mr.Angry hat on.....So many members ask for advice and other members take time to try to give sound advice and then don't even get the courtesy of a 'Thank You' for that ...from the original posters... :evil:

And now I will change hats and go back to my normal ' happy go lucky' and friendly self.... :lol:

I hope that everyone has a great and peaceful weekend.... :wave:

Regards,
Mr.Angry of Granada Province... :wink:

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:21 am

If I were in the admin driving seat, members with zero posts who have not logged on for a year would get deleted.
Why have members who don't log in or post? :?:

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:42 am

Well I'm sure that many of the non-posters do peruse and use the forum for advice, they don't have to post if they don't want to....

And anyway if Admin deleted all the non posters we would only have about 29 members... :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon...

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:53 am

Most of the ‘members’ listed here, or
on many other forums are not members at all -
some are robotic,
some are accumulators, and
some like to get automatic birthday greetings
that make people believe someone cares.

As for the rest,
from the looks of things,
I’d say you only have about 29 members anyway.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 am

El Cid wrote:I can understand why new members are reluctant to post when they see even well established posters being rubbished for some spelling mistakes/typos/grammatical errors.

This is just not acceptable. New posters should be encouraged to post in whatever way they choose.

In future anyone who takes this attitude with another poster will have their post deleted and any further attempts to do so will result in a permanent ban.

I hope I have made myself clear.

As I said in another thread - posts in this forum are not examined as part of the English A-Level syllabus.

Sid
Jawohl, mein Kapitain. Verstahen!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:07 am

bob wrote:
As for the rest,
from the looks of things,
I’d say you only have about 29 members anyway.
Really?

Over 50 members have signed in in the last 3 hours!

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:29 am

Wow! It IS quite marked isn't it?
There are 161 pages of 30 members +3 on page 162 with no posts.
That's 4833 members out of 7187, 67% or 2 out of 3.

It is not necessary to have an account on this forum to read it, BENIDORM.
(Although it does make it easier to search for new posts)

I thought this forum was the biggest in the area, but if you count active posters, yes, it is +or- 29.
So, perhaps it isn't :lol:

Why be put off by people being pedantic?
Use your backbone and either ignore or defend yourself as appropriate.
Forums are not for the faint hearted! :D

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:45 am

I think that this forum is probably the best source of information in English about all the quirks of living in Andalusia that exists. A number of posters who have lived here for many years go to a lot of trouble to answer peoples questions and often get little thanks for it. Some poster's who have left Spain because it wasn't for them spend too much of their time trying to put this country down usually with little or no justification.
It is a fairly intimidating forum to post on, now that it is moderated it will hopefully continue to improve. A number of poster's have publicly left this forum after bullying attacks indeed I have twice considered leaving. Once was in the days before the forum wasn't moderated I was threatened with physical violence (that member's account has since been deleted & no it was NOT Julian) the other time was more recently on a thread about lunar gardening where an intelligent poster was bullied.
I am all for friendly banter but people please be nice to each other :)
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:18 pm

annfoto wrote:I think that this forum is probably the best source of information in English about all the quirks of living in Andalusia that exists. A number of posters who have lived here for many years go to a lot of trouble to answer peoples questions and often get little thanks for it. Some poster's who have left Spain because it wasn't for them spend too much of their time trying to put this country down usually with little or no justification.
It is a fairly intimidating forum to post on, now that it is moderated it will hopefully continue to improve. A number of poster's have publicly left this forum after bullying attacks indeed I have twice considered leaving. Once was in the days before the forum wasn't moderated I was threatened with physical violence (that member's account has since been deleted & no it was NOT Julian) the other time was more recently on a thread about lunar gardening where an intelligent poster was bullied.
I am all for friendly banter but people please be nice to each other :)
You really have to have a go and bear grudges don't you. As for your nasty little "some posters who have left Spain...." jibe. If I know the answer to something I reply and not very often thanked, infact it often gets pinched as they want everyone to know how clever they are even though they forgot to mention it for the past 12 months. Another example, a few members wanted to know where the fire was in axarquia...I answered because I read it in the news...even though I am not in Spain...no comment! As for putting the country down, It is called having an opinion and I was complaining about some things in 2004 on here when I lived there. There are plenty of pat on the back forums if you want only a plastiv version of Spain, try some of the Estate Agents fora :wave:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I raised the issue of feeling bullied on this forum well over a year ago and was pretty much rubbished and ridiculed for saying it. The main culprits have now either left, been removed or rarely post. There have been some over the years that have been previous forum members poorly disguised and found out. I do not agree that it is now impossible for a previous member to re-post under another name as you only need to use another computer with a different IP or via a wi-fi link in a bar etc........but I shall probably be told off for saying it.

I would like to encourage new members to post - don´t be put off by the banter as some of the banter between established posters can seem a bit harsh at times but it is really down to the forum relationship built up between them over the years. I have known most of of those who banter the hardest (and are still here) to apologise by private message if they have unintentionally caused upset.

This forum is a part of the real world as well and forum posters, and even forum moderators have bad tempered days, or post late at night after a bevvy or two - you only need to look at some posts made to see that.

I suspect many members who have never posted thought they had to join to read the posts......

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:26 pm

I agree you have to have the hide of a rhinocerous to really get stuck in and post lots and I'm probably not that tough, normally I would just read this sort of thread, find it interesting and step away quickly and quietly. I am here mainly because I genuinely need to know about aspects of Andalucia and usually when I ask something, I get only helpful and concerned replies and I've had some fantastic PMs from members (you know who you are are).

So - for me - A.Com is brilliant and I love the mix of personalities here, even the stroppy ones! But - I'm sorry and I expect this post will quickly get deleted - I still feel very uncomfortable at the way Julian's been treated, he was no 'worse' thank many others who are allowed to stay.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Irene,
Good to hear that you have found A.Com so useful , that's what it is about after all.
And I have to say that you have also added good info. and 'joined in' so well.. :thumbup:

As for this posting being under threat of being deleted, well I personally see no reason for that, after all everyone is only stating their opinion, which of course they are fully entitled to do.
Ok maybe some can be a bit 'Sarky', but they are quite harmless really, and anyway sometimes the forum can get a bit boring, so a little banter doesn't do any harm...in my opinion..

And now we can all sleep easy knowing that our interests are in the safe hands of Uncle Sid.... :wink:

Regards,
Gordon.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Thank you Gordon - just felt I had to say what was in my mind :thumbup: By the way, we may be moving over sooner rather than later!!! No doubt I will be posting with another flurry of anxious questions Image