Members who have never posted

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
masterob
Andalucia Guru

Re: Members who have never posted

Postby masterob » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:06 pm

El Cid wrote:
I can understand why new members are reluctant to post when they see even well established posters being rubbished for some spelling mistakes/typos/grammatical errors.

This is just not acceptable. New posters should be encouraged to post in whatever way they choose.

In future anyone who takes this attitude with another poster will have their post deleted and any further attempts to do so will result in a permanent ban.

I hope I have made myself clear.

I think comments like this might be enough to make existing members, who do post, wonder if they can be bothered never mind those who don't post. I feel like being back at school and being lectured at by the Headmaster! Oh for those distant days of an unmoderated Forum! Bring back julian, all is forgiven! :shock:

bob
Resident

Postby bob » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Amen

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:32 pm

I personally know two people who read this forum and one has never posted, the other perhaps less than ten times in about 6 years. All this stuff about people being scared to post or people going off in a huff is a theme running through most fora, not just spanish ones. There are identical characters on them all, the ones who want everyone to like them (or dislike them) :mrgreen: Others who google a lot to impress (and it shows), the funny ones, genuine ones and liars etc....I have always liked Lavandas posts, hardly ever agree with her but I don't hold it against her. Pity there are a handful of vindictive people on it. I KNOW WHO YOU ARE :wink: :wink: :lol:

Perhaps if people don't want any negative about Spain or the truth sometimes then the forum should have selective membership like a club. eg. Only people living in the campo can apply. If they had a section about the UK I am sure I could fill it with some whinge every day. But it's about andalucía innit and as such I have to keep my negativity to that area, some of you appear to know nothing about the place anyway after living there for years.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 pm

See you haven't had a bevvie yet.....not a swear word in the whole rant.........respect :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:47 pm

In future anyone who takes this attitude with another poster will have their post deleted and any further attempts to do so will result in a permanent ban.
:wtf:
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Mowser wrote:
:wtf:
What's your problem with that?

It's clearly laid out in the House Rules.

Let's all try and be nice to other posters rather that frightening off new posters which is how this thread started.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Sid
It just came across as a tad officious.
Dave

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Officious and a tad pompous! Maybe not intended but that's how it came across to me. Power corrupts and all that! :(

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm

Mowser wrote:Sid
It just came across as a tad officious.
Yes you are probably right.

I have the diplomatic skills of Ghengis Khan and I don't mince my words.

However I am really concerned that we should encourage new members to ask questions on this forum without fear that they will get a bad reception. Constant warring between members and unnecessary criticism of other's posts is really not conducive to this objective - hence the hard line I am taking on this as a moderator.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Sid admitted....

''I have the diplomatic skills of Ghengis Khan and I don't mince my words''.

Well put Sid, and with those few words I think that you have thwarted a possible mutiny... :lol: :lol:

Regards,
Gordon

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:21 am

I have a suggestions to add to the rules which could improve the forum.

Anyone posting after 4pm to send their alcohol readings to Sid. Maximum limit is a quarter bottle of wine or 2 tubos.

Include more words to be bleeped out like...Jeezuz, Muslim, Brit reg cars, Iceland, rip-off and Spain in the same sentence, illegal homes. M&S. Dump. Steak and Kidney pie.

Welcome first time posters who come on with restaurant reviews, details of their knees-up night at their bar, discussing QORPS etc. Anyone suggesting they are spamming the forum will have an immediate ban.

Restaurant reviews only costing 10 euro or less, no mention of wine costing over 3 euro per bottle. Anything over this amount will be considered discriminatory to our members on a state pension. Remember the A.Com motto "To be Poor is Rich"

Links to the Daily Mail criticising Spain to be censored. Any articles containing the words "Broken Britain" or "99% of the population want to emigrate" to be placed in a sticky at the top of the page. Links to spanish newspapers eg. Sur, which always contain bad ones such as robbery and killings will automatically bring up a message saying "What's your Point" and all members should ignore this post.

Members should not comment on other members choice of where they live unless you are a campo dweller, if so feel free to keep mentioning how sh'ité marbella and the costa is.

Member's who live in the UK should only ask questions as they know nowt about Spain therefore, no opinons allowed. Members who have returned to the UK will be flagged by an Aviator of an arm with a J tatooed on it.

This forum is about andalucía, any discussion about the UK should only be about how cráp it is or benefits you can get/take with you.

:idea: :wink:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 am

I don't think it's wrong to have rules and I certainly support positive encouragement for more posters. However, I'm not TOTALLY sure about people posting 'in whatever way they can' because, surely, communication involves being able to UNDERSTAND each other?

I've only just come back to the forum after nearly a year as my OH had a brain aneurysm (brilliant healthcare here, totally brilliant, saved his life, he's getting better daily with 100% recovery expected by Christmas). Julian being gone and El Cid being an active moderator are the only new things I've noticed. Forums, to survive, do need new input. Perhaps we could just ask for reasonable English or Spanish PLUS a moderator willing to interpret the more eclectic language posts? :D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 am

Lavanda wrote:I don't think it's wrong to have rules and I certainly support positive encouragement for more posters. However, I'm not TOTALLY sure about people posting 'in whatever way they can' because, surely, communication involves being able to UNDERSTAND each other?
I think you are quoting me slightly out of context.

I did say "New posters should be encouraged to post in whatever way they choose."

But I did preface that with "I can understand why new members are reluctant to post when they see even well established posters being rubbished for some spelling mistakes/typos/grammatical errors."

I am not suggesting that posters should post in any particular way, just that if their spelling or grammar leaves something to be desired that other members should not pick on them and criticise their post.

It's as simple as that.

Sid

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:26 am

Congratulations Katy . . . you have finally seen the light. I was beginning to despair :thumbup:
I disagree with you on
Anyone posting after 4pm to send their alcohol readings to Sid. Maximum limit is a quarter bottle of wine or 2 tubos
I think that limit should be 50% of one's average daily consumption.
Ann

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:33 pm

What about a Newbies Only board with an introductory post by Sid explaining it's function? Once the Newbies hit - say - 30 posts, they should be thrown to the wolves - er, I mean given access to the whole of the forum. The only members allowed to respond to queries from the Newbies would be a sort of 'panel' - moderators and members who Sid and Beachy consider 'safe' e.g. Benidorm, Enrique, Julie to name but a few - interesting members with a sense of humour and who are unfailingly polite and helpful. We could all be allowed to read this board and if we felt we had a helpful contribution to make we could PM a moderator and he could copy and paste our response onto the board.

Once the Newbies got to know some of us and feel that they've made some friends, they might feel braver venturing into the whole forum. It should be possible - access to the Amigos lounge is restricted after all.

By the way, unlike Katy's post (which did make me laugh) this is a serious suggestion lol!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Sometimes even moderators can be so sarcastic they stop people posting.
Posters should imagine they are speaking to someone face to face.,some of the postings I've seen would result in a decking in the real world.
And that goes for moderators too.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:57 pm

When I was a new poster in 2007, I wasn't subjected to any attacks regarding spelling and grammar.
Then again, I'm perfect. :wave: Some new posters who come here are obviously older posters with new names.
Some new posters who come here start off their posts simply looking for an argument.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:09 pm

I agree with sid
The content of the post should always be paramount.Grammar or spelling should never be mentioned.I'm not sure about banning someone for it though.
It may not be the only reason some members don't post, however,I'm sure some new people won't post because of it.
I don't understand why people think it's OK to it.If they corrected someone who was making grammatical errors while speaking,It could be considered bad manners and could very well end up being decked.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Regarding "grammar and spelling" ... if a poster start his or her first post with ...

"I am thinkin ov cuming to spain for to get my kid inty a skool and wont to no the best one's to chose from. Hes particilarly intrested in lerning spanish" ... I'm afraid I'd have to comment.

If something is as important as a child's education, then a bit of thought should be put into a post.
There was a post along these lines a year or so ago. I reckon it was a wind-up.
Dave

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:41 pm

When I was new to the board, I got told to 'get a life' which startled me somewhat. OK - no doubt my concerns were petty to the poster but nonetheless it was very off-putting. Glad I stuck with it though! I would encourage newbies not to be put off if they do get snapped at. Even the impatient people here are nice when you get to know them. I do think it's that 'written word' thing. In face to face conversation, you might think someone was being an utter bore and fretting about nothing but unless they really drove you loopy, you wouldn't tell them to 'get a life'