Tolls on A22 between Ayamonte and Portugal

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
fincalospinos
Resident

Tolls on A22 between Ayamonte and Portugal

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:49 am

The new toll charges are supposed to start on December 8th.
Does anyone know what the charges will be, and whether you will have to pay them to cross the river from Ayamonte to Portugal ?
I have read somewhere that any non Portuguese vehicle will have to carry a transponder ( costing 27 euros for 90 days) and a 50 Euros up front payment for toll charges. Apparently there will be no manned toll areas, tolls will be payed by reading the transponder.We often go over for a few days at a time to visit friends or play golf, but if this is the case, 77 Euros in tolls for a few day stay in Portugal will just be too much to pay.
Hardworking resident !!

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: Tolls on A22 between Ayamonte and Portugal

Postby pilgrim2 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Crikey!! I often go to the airport to collect hubby and will be going on the 17th December (and again, twice at the end of December for daughters New Year Eve jaunt to the UK )so wont be in Portugal for much more than 2hrs each visit. I had known they were putting toll booths up, but thought amy be a fiver each way :oops: Though there is always the litle care ferry, which was alway very cheap....but might not be anymore!

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:40 pm

pilgrim2 wrote:Crikey!! I often go to the airport to collect hubby and will be going on the 17th December (and again, twice at the end of December for daughters New Year Eve jaunt to the UK )so wont be in Portugal for much more than 2hrs each visit. I had known they were putting toll booths up, but thought amy be a fiver each way :oops: Though there is always the litle care ferry, which was alway very cheap....but might not be anymore!
They are supposed to start charging on December 8th, I would be interested to hear how you get on as we are due to go to Tavira on the 23rd.
Hardworking resident !!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:20 pm

I have to go to Faro airport early January. The N125 is the alternative. I just put both routes into Google Maps. From us Faro airport via A22 is shown as 1 hour 49 minutes. Via N125 it reckons 2 hours 30mins. I heard that they are beginning roadworks on the N125 soon which will inevitably cause delays.
Brian.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:24 pm

I wonder what will happen if foreign cars ignore the charges if the posts are unmanned. The car ferry takes just 2 cars, so that won't be a help. Oh well, the Portuguese might have shot themselves in the foot when it comes to tourism for that part of the Algarve.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:36 pm

I feel must correct one or two misunderstandings.

1. There will be NO tolls on the border bridge
2. The tolls only start at the second (Monte Gordo) jct after the border bridge.
3. The cost from the Monte Gordo jct to the Stadium Algarve jct will be only €4 at the published 8.2c per km.
4. There will be no toll booths and no cash can be used.
5. The overhead gantries have cameras which take a hoto of your No plate and a charge is made to your account based on distance travelled.
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:36 pm

John & Kath wrote:I feel must correct one or two misunderstandings.

1. There will be NO tolls on the border bridge
2. The tolls only start at the second (Monte Gordo) jct after the border bridge.
3. The cost from the Monte Gordo jct to the Stadium Algarve jct will be only €4 at the published 8.2c per km.
4. There will be no toll booths and no cash can be used.
5. The overhead gantries have cameras which take a hoto of your No plate and a charge is made to your account based on distance travelled.
Could you tell us how one should pay for very infrequent trips just over and back Faro airport please John & Kath? Also what the fine will be for just ignoring the system and not paying for the one return trip?
Brian.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:58 pm

There does not seem to be any easy way to pay for a return journey from the border to Faro maybe once or twice a year!
If you just ignore the the tolls in a uk registered car they may never catch up with you, if your car is Spanish reg they may.
There is a limit set to the penalty to be added to the toll but if it is just ignored there will be fines and charges added so for €4 charge after 2 ys you could be looking at say €200!
Last edited by John & Kath on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 pm

So if I cross the bridge and at the 1st chance go off the motorway (to Castro Marim) and follow the coast road to the airport I wont have to pay or get fined?? Its not that I dont want to pay I just want to be able to do it there and then and not wait to see if I get a fine. My car is Spanish registered.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 pm

John & Kath wrote: There is a limit set to the penalty to be added to the toll but if it is just igored there will be fines and charges added so for €4 charge after 2 ys you could be looking at say €200!
Thanks for the info. My car is Spanish registered. So, if I understand you correctly, there would be a penalty followed by a fine for non-payment of the penalty? So do you know what the penalty would be?
Brian.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:55 pm

http://www.estradas.pt/portagensfaq

This site gives all the official info in Portuguese. I have put it thro google translate and this is the para on fines for foreign registered cars.

"Failure to pay the toll fee is a misdemeanor subject to fine for all users, both domestic and foreign. The fine is 10 times the rate of toll, with a minimum of 25 euros and a maximum of 125 euros. Dealers will inspect the vehicles with foreign registration plates, which should have the electronic device."

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 am

John & Kath wrote:http://www.estradas.pt/portagensfaq

This site gives all the official info in Portuguese. I have put it thro google translate and this is the para on fines for foreign registered cars.

"Failure to pay the toll fee is a misdemeanor subject to fine for all users, both domestic and foreign. The fine is 10 times the rate of toll, with a minimum of 25 euros and a maximum of 125 euros. Dealers will inspect the vehicles with foreign registration plates, which should have the electronic device."
Thank you for posting the link.

It is as I thought, you need a transponder and will also be required to pre-pay to use the Motorway.

The good news is that you can at least get across the bridge free of charge, and then join the old N125, which, although slower, will cut out the charges.
Hardworking resident !!

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm not too bothered about the toll so long as the charge is reasonable. What I don't like is all the hassle it will take to be able to pay it. Just driving in and out the odd time and taking a chance on not being caught seems a reasonable and not too expensive risk if the toll charge will be just 4€ as suggested. It will make me think twice about bringing family in via Faro in the future.
Brian.

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 pm

I will be very interested in the information we get back from any users after the 8th Dec. My sister would not look at Faro now as they visit only once or twice a year.

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Have looked into this further on the Estradas.es site, and have found out that there is a simplified method of payment, using prepay for 3 or 5 day short stays. This can be paid with credit card ( min 10 Euros) and any balance is refunded.
You dont need an electronic device with this system as they read your number plate.

The paragraph on the Entradas site is:
Existe alguma modalidade de pagamento simplificada, sem necessidade de utilizar um DE e recorrendo apenas à matrícula do veículo?

And the translation is:

Yes For stays whose period of stay in the country does not warrant the delivery of the DT, drivers of vehicles with foreign registration may choose to join one of two ways, using only the vehicle registration:
Preloading valid for five working days;
Preloading valid only for the journey back and forth to the Porto Airport (via A28 or A41 road).
Adherence to these procedures can be done over the internet, the site of CTT, using for this purpose a credit card, in which the amounts are deducted, or preloading a minimum of 10 € (cars) or € 20 (vehicles), or the equivalent of the specific route selected. This solution is also available at Oporto Airport and, increasingly, a local branch of the service areas, with cash payment. If the payment has been made ​​with a credit card, if requested from the CTT, the repayment of the unused balance of the preload to your card.
In these arrangements, the payment of tolls plus their administrative costs, depending on the additional collection costs they impose on the system, associated with the image (photo) of the vehicle registration.

You need to register at www.ctt.pt to pay in this way.
Hardworking resident !!

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:45 pm

fincalospinos wrote:Have looked into this further on the Estradas.es site, and have found out that there is a simplified method of payment, using prepay for 3 or 5 day short stays. This can be paid with credit card ( min 10 Euros) and any balance is refunded.
You dont need an electronic device with this system as they read your number plate.

The paragraph on the Entradas site is:
Existe alguma modalidade de pagamento simplificada, sem necessidade de utilizar um DE e recorrendo apenas à matrícula do veículo?

And the translation is:

Yes For stays whose period of stay in the country does not warrant the delivery of the DT, drivers of vehicles with foreign registration may choose to join one of two ways, using only the vehicle registration:
Preloading valid for five working days;
Preloading valid only for the journey back and forth to the Porto Airport (via A28 or A41 road).
Adherence to these procedures can be done over the internet, the site of CTT, using for this purpose a credit card, in which the amounts are deducted, or preloading a minimum of 10 € (cars) or € 20 (vehicles), or the equivalent of the specific route selected. This solution is also available at Oporto Airport and, increasingly, a local branch of the service areas, with cash payment. If the payment has been made ​​with a credit card, if requested from the CTT, the repayment of the unused balance of the preload to your card.
In these arrangements, the payment of tolls plus their administrative costs, depending on the additional collection costs they impose on the system, associated with the image (photo) of the vehicle registration.

You need to register at www.ctt.pt to pay in this way.
People who have no home here, only visiting, are likely to be in rental cars so not foreign reg ? or am I being thick today ?

edit .... probably am :lol: as this bit 'For stays whose period of stay in the country does not warrant the delivery of the DT' probably covers it .... :? coffee time me thinks >>>>>

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:38 pm

This may be of use to people traveling to Portugal - Via Spain
Esteemed Customer,

Thank you for your contact, which deserved our full attention.

Please be advised that in order to purchase one of our virtual prepaid solutions for vehicles registered abroad, you must:

1 - Register on the CTT website www.ctt.pt
2 - Access the link:
http://portagens.ctt.pt
and select the option "Serviços disponiveis - matriculas estrangeiras" in the menu on top of the webpage.
3 - Enter the username and password chosen when registering on the CTT website (or register on the website if you have not already).
4 - Fill out the form with information of your vehicle (country of registration, license plate number, phone number and class of toll - respectively) and click "Seguinte".
5- Select the first date when you shall pass through the toll (by clicking on the timetable icon) and then select the type of prepaid that you want to purchase. After this selection, click "Seguinte".
6- Finally, complete the purchase by indicating the details of your credit card (you can also check the terms and conditions of the prepaid you selected to purchase).

Remember that for any clarification or more detailed information, please visit our website http://portagens.ctt.pt or call CTT Line, available weekdays and Saturdays from 8am to 22pm, on 707 26 26 26.

Best regards,

Vanessa Vicente
Customer Service

CTT. Consigo por um futuro sustentável.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 pm

On this web page from Estradas de Portugal you can open a PDF link that shows a map of the A22 with information about tolls and where to buy but importantly it says:
Pré-pago para utilização em trajetos específicos:
Espanha - Aeroporto do Porto, via A28 ou A41
Espanha – Aeroporto de Faro, via A22

so it may be possible to purchase at the border between Spain and Portugal somewhere a Pre Paid toll for this specific trip to Faro airport ?
All a bit of a mystery but presumable the border now has some kind of Toll sales outlet.
Now awaiting news from the first Forum user of the A22 from Spanish border !
http://www.estradasdeportugal.pt/index. ... a24-e-a25,

Talk about confusion.......

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 pm

I go tomorrow night armed with a my debit card, as I have read that you can pay with a credit or
debit card( has to be one with a pin no.) at the border. €5.90 each way to the airport. I will post on here on Sunday morning to you know how I get on.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 am

Cost 11.23 euros for airport day return, paid by debit card, no cash option, small bus stop like shelter at the border crossing, all quite straight forward. Did not see a machine at the airport, though it is undergoing extensive renovations.