Casa del Califa

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Casa del Califa

Postby katy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Anyone been to this hotel in vejer or know of any others there? must be fairly upmarket.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Casa del Califa

Postby frank » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:42 pm

katy wrote:Anyone been to this hotel in vejer or know of any others there? must be fairly upmarket.
We were there for abour 5 days in May.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:52 pm

That's not a very help full reply Frank!!!! I'm sure Katy was looking for more than just the names of forum members who've been!!!!
Lorraine

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:08 pm

Come on Frank, give a review, we were thinking of taking guests down..pleeese.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:20 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:That's not a very help full reply Frank!!!! I'm sure Katy was looking for more than just the names of forum members who've been!!!!
Lorraine
Oh! Why didn't she say! :D We really enjoyed it, it's a bit different from the normal hotels you find, a sort of moorish influence eveywhere. The rooms are quite simply furnished, but they are fine. Nice staff, nice owners. One of the owners is a Scotsman, he must have left Scotland sometime ago, becuase he even bought us a glass of wine each! I'm a "ever so 'umble traveller", and I get the impression that Katy moves in higher social circles than we do, (that's not difficult!)so she may not find it quite as good as we did! :D But we were impressed. Try the Morroccan food in their restaurant, we loved it. The lay out, because originally it was 3(?) houses, is a bit weird, little rooms and corridors going off all over the place, but for us, it added to the charm. Like a lot of village hotels, parking is a bit difficult, but you can usually park down below the hotel. Some snaps I took here, http://www.pbase.com/abwhitt/vejer
Actually Lorraine, I got called away to tea, I was coming back! :lol:
Regards, Frank

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Frank, You knew full well what Katy was asking, just thought she deserved a better answer than that, as she often gives more balanced opinions on here, than just the Rosey version.
Katy may well be used to more up market places than yourself and most definitely, than MYSELF but if no one replies how will she know!!
Lorraine

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:49 pm

Lorraine - Mijas wrote:Frank, You knew full well what Katy was asking, just thought she deserved a better answer than that, as she often gives more balanced opinions on here, than just the Rosey version.
Katy may well be used to more up market places than yourself and most definitely, than MYSELF but if no one replies how will she know!!
Lorraine
As I said, I was dragged away for tea. :D Some more opinions on the hotel here,
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... lusia.html
Not stayed there, but Escondrijo comes well recommended.
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks Frank, really superb photos and really helpful. Will forgo room service etc to get away from the plasticy places. Is it normally busy? stayed at the castillo de Monda a few weeks ago and we were the only guests! totally lacking in atmosphere.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:34 pm

katy wrote:Thanks Frank, really superb photos and really helpful. Will forgo room service etc to get away from the plasticy places. Is it normally busy? stayed at the castillo de Monda a few weeks ago and we were the only guests! totally lacking in atmosphere.
It normally is booked up well in advance, Katy, but it may be quieter now. When we were there, there seemed to be a stream of people at reception trying to get a room, but there was no room at the inn! It says this about the restaurant,

The founder of the restaurant spent many years living in the Lebanon & later worked as a mountain guide in the Atlas mountains of Morocco. His understanding of Middle Eastern & Magreb cooking has produced a wonderfully varied & original menu of exotic & tasty dishes.

There's free internet access, so you don't even have to miss andalucia.com!
Regards, Frank

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:21 am

Nice photos..good promotion.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

jules 2
Andalucia.com Amigo

casa califa

Postby jules 2 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:27 pm

We were here in June. Didn't stay over but the lunch in the open air garden was beautiful - the food and the setting - the morrocan tajines were stunning, I had the chicken with preserved lemons and almonds, my husband had the lamb which was equally gorgeous, Great staff, great menu, we will definitley go back and stay next time. Worth noting that there are at least 2 ways to enter/exit Vejer. If you aproach via the new road, you have to climb up to the village and then drop back down the hill to go back up into the older part which is where you will find Casa Califa.
jules 2

lis48
Resident

Postby lis48 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:10 pm

Katy I would recommend it as it's located in the heart of the old town so great for seeing Vejer at night and though I haven't actually eaten there, friends have recommended the food. It has a nice feel to it and I would certainly go again. Pricey and booked up in the high season but great for a weekend off season.