classic motorbike mechanic

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
dawn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dawn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:02 pm

Can anyone help with whereabouts of a recommended classic motorbike mechanic, preferably Granada area?
thanks

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Dawn.

If anyone get's to you on this one I'd be interested in any details passed on.

Mhic.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: classic motorbike mechanic

Postby jpinks » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:39 pm

dawn wrote:Can anyone help with whereabouts of a recommended classic motorbike mechanic, preferably Granada area?
thanks
What is a classic motorbike mechanic? An old guy who can fix motos, or a guy who can fix old motos? :wink: I have rebuilt many bikes in my youth, Velocettes, AJS, BSA, etc, etc. Tell me what the problem is and let's see what needs doing.
Slainte,
JohnP.

dawn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby dawn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:28 pm

well yes he can be an old guy!!!! and prefereably someone who has experience of repairing motorbikes.

We have a BSA Golden Flash circa 1952 650cc, that is "ill" has oil leaking drastically - urgently needs new gaskets fitting (that we have) just no facilities or time at present.

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: classic motorbike mechanic

Postby jpinks » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:03 am

dawn wrote:well yes he can be an old guy!!!! and prefereably someone who has experience of repairing motorbikes.

We have a BSA Golden Flash circa 1952 650cc, that is "ill" has oil leaking drastically - urgently needs new gaskets fitting (that we have) just no facilities or time at present.
That's probably a complete engine rebuild and needs a workshop. It's not a difficult job, but needs a fair amount of patience and common-sense mechanical knowledge, and a clean place to work. This dust would cause trouble, so leave it till the rainy season before you open it up.

A friend of mine had a Golden Flash - nice bike, but not as comfortable as my old Velocette Viper.
Slainte,
JohnP.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:27 am

JPinks

Don't tell me you were a regular at the Ace!

What I'd give to get back on a viper or a venom. I've ridden a lot of bike's but the Velo's were my favourites. I used to spend hours "breathing" on my viper clubman. Buying new parts and spending hours in GoldHawk Rd helped me put off the inevitable trip to the jewelers for months.

Currently own a japanese lawnmower though at present it's still in the UK. My wife is organising my wake to coincide with it's arrival here in Spain.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:05 pm

Hi Dawn,
This is Kal's hubby Bri, AKA Skid to the 1% biker world. Could you tell me where the oil is leaking from ? The A10 can leak from the clutch side and that doesn't need a complete re-build. As we have not sold in the UK yet and I cant get a look at the bike, I think this biker forum may be of use to you as it is based in Andalucia www.acciridersmc.homestead.com

Hope this helps,
Skid

Support your local Outlaws

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:08 pm

kal111 wrote:Hi Dawn,
This is Kal's hubby Bri, AKA Skid to the 1% biker world. Could you tell me where the oil is leaking from ? The A10 can leak from the clutch side and that doesn't need a complete re-build. As we have not sold in the UK yet and I cant get a look at the bike, I think this biker forum may be of use to you as it is based in Andalucia www.acciridersmc.homestead.com

Hope this helps,
Skid

Support your local Outlaws
Finally, are we talking 81 here or just pretend?

jpinks
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jpinks » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:43 pm

mhic wrote:Don't tell me you were a regular at the Ace!
Nope - I was a velo rider on my own in Ireland. I never became a member of any the biker fraternities - I just rode all the good bikes :)
Slainte,
JohnP.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Hi Stantheman,
It's not the red and white that my loyalties lay with but I am a known friend to one of the Outlaw mc Presidents. I have also had the honour to represent said club when a mingeling of the two tribes would have not been a happy gathering. But then on the other hand, my Cousin is a long time member of the HAMC being one of the Chosen Few (Belfast) that traveled State side to get the charter to become Red & white. If I remember that was mid 70s. My cousin goes by the nickname of Turk Mcguirk.

Just in case you are a patch club member, Respects to your President & your Club.

Skid

dawn
Andalucia.com Amigo

A10 possibly for sale.

Postby dawn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:23 am

Looks lke im either going to find the time or the wherbouts to get this bke repaired.
It was rnning fine up until this trip, i think the fact that it had stood for 12 weeks in a shed doing nothing may have led to its demise, im sure its just a gasketbut we are talking pools of oil under the bike, from the area around the final drive pinion.
I have 2 options, 1) send her home Cost 400 qid.
2) sel her here complete with ful set of gaskets, For Sale 2K euros.
Interested, ill be in Spain until early October, call me 670425289.
Regards
Steve
PS: has a set of paniers, and a manual to go woth bike.

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:57 am

Steve.

Have you tried getting in touch with one of the classic bike clubs over here they might be able to put you in touch with someone that could help.
The BSA owners club will probably have contacts here as well.

Mhic.

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:42 pm

kal111 wrote:Hi Stantheman,
It's not the red and white that my loyalties lay with but I am a known friend to one of the Outlaw mc Presidents. I have also had the honour to represent said club when a mingeling of the two tribes would have not been a happy gathering. But then on the other hand, my Cousin is a long time member of the HAMC being one of the Chosen Few (Belfast) that traveled State side to get the charter to become Red & white. If I remember that was mid 70s. My cousin goes by the nickname of Turk Mcguirk.

Just in case you are a patch club member, Respects to your President & your Club.

Skid
Sorry Kal don't know Turk but I'm sure he's a good guy, good luck with your quest, I had an A 10 in the sixties, I don't know how old you are but if you are familiar with clip ons you'll get this, I turned my clip ons into ape hangers but didn't tighten the nuts up enough, decellarating from about 95 rapidly to about 35 in order to stop for a traffic light the clipons/ape hangers shot forward and I cut my face really badly I still have a nice ugly scar to this day!