competa - disabled access

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Tammy

competa - disabled access

Postby Tammy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:15 am

My disabled mum is coming out to visit next week and I'd like to take her on a trip to Competa. Does anyone know whether it's suitable? She isn't in a wheelchair but is unable to climb stairs or steep hills. We'd also need to find a restaurant/bar that is all on one level (without having to go up/down steps to the toilet). Any recommendations?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:52 am

I only visited competa once to see friends but if my memory serves me right it was very steep streets.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:21 am

We used to go there quite a lot, and I would not describe it as wheel chair friendly at all. If you managed to get the car into the little main square, which is unlikely, there is a bar/restaurante there, all on one level. A bar, as you come in, Buena Uva, is on one level also, but it's quite small. There are a few in this group that live there, they might give you better, more up to date info. It's not impossible in a wheelchair, but it won't be easy.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:09 pm

Unless you can actually park in the square (by Church), which is unlikely at weekends but sometimes possible mid-week, Competa is totally unsuitable for anyone with any degree of walking difficulty.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:59 pm

brenda wrote: Competa is totally unsuitable for anyone with any degree of walking difficulty.
Agree, I'm surprised so many elderly people retire there, if they haven't got problems getting around now, they might well do later on. Going up La Rampa is taxing enough on it's own! I suppose quite a few live outside of the town, in villas, fincas etc.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Tammy

Panic! Any other suggestions?

Postby Tammy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:10 pm

:cry: oh dear. Doesn't sound very encouraging. Can anyone else recommend somewhere to take her that is slightly more disabled-friendly? We're based in La Herradura (20 minutes further east than Nerja) so it would need to be within easy driving distance of there. Any suggestions gratefully received!

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:36 pm

Hate to state the obvious but, as soon as you go up into the mountains, all paths + roads are steep!

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:44 pm

One idea could be to bring her for a drive around Lake Vinuela - 2 lovely bars/restaurants right on lakeside and both have flat access. Only 45 minutes drive from la Herradura and beautiful scenery.

Tammy

disabled access

Postby Tammy » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:52 pm

Thanks for that advice Brenda, I think I might try it. Only reservation is that my in-laws had lunch at one of the restaurants on Lake Vinuela (don't know which one) and described it as the worst meal they'd ever had in Spain). Is there a particular restaurant you recommend?

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:38 pm

Tammy,

While you are visiting Vinuela ( I prefer the resturant on the right), come down to the coast. From Mezquitilla or Algarrobo, you can have a very pleasant walk along the paseo, right along to Torre Del Mar. Very Spanish, flat for wheelchairs (I've tried it), nice resturants and lovely view.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:26 am

Of the 2 restaurants together on the lake shore, like Marina we prefer the restaurant on the right - pink building called EL PANTANO. Service can be a bit slow but food generally good and well priced. Alternatively, for a coffee or sandwich lunch, there is a nice terrace with easy access and lovely views across the lake at the HOTEL LA VINUELA - wouldn´t recommend the restaurant there though as over priced and poor quality.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hotel Balcon is good

Postby poppylou » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:50 pm

If you decide to come up to Competa with your mother, you may find the Hotel Balcon is ideal as it has a restaurant and cloakroom facilities all at ground level. Drop your mother off at the main front entrance in the street, before parking in the hotel car park off down to the left past the tennis courts, otherwise there are lots of steps up from the car park (there may in fact be a lift from that area but I can't confirm that).

Depending on how mobile and active your mother is, there is then a fairly level walk from the hotel along to the main square of Competa. There are steps to get down to the square from the street, but she will at least have a walk and a view of the square from the street above.

The views from the Balcon terrace are lovely. They speak good English there, so if you want to check anything out it may be worth a call first. And, resurfacing of the road up from Algorrobo to Sayalonga has started (hooray!), so there are a few less potholes than previously.