Good Friday habbits

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Good Friday habbits

Postby Devils Advocate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 am

Who else refrains from meat today? or is it just me? Now I'm not religious, nor were my parents.............just ordinary Cof E philistines :mrgreen: .......however my dad would not have meat on a Good Friday so neither could any bug6er in the house, maybe it came from my Gran who I never met being a devout Irish Catholic.

Anyhow, it's stuck with me for some silly reason and like my dad did OH is consigned to kippers and hot cross buns today...........problem is I've got a half a sheet of Chinese Crispy belly pork which we prepared for dinner last night, left over and smelling gorgeous in the fridge :( ...............it laughs at me every time I open the door. Kippers?????...bad idea this I'm now starting to think :D
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Good Friday habbits

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:57 am

Is this a cross between a rabbit and a hare? :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:17 am

Not being English I was not not aware of such a good idea, in fact why not stop eating meat every other day of the year? You will be a lot healthier and no animals will have to suffer to satisfy your appetite. :think:
Ann

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am

Hi Ann
Nothing to do with being English or not.
Not eating meat on Good Friday is a Christian/ Religious tradition.
I shall be eating meat today.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:34 am

Not eating meat on Good Friday is a Christian/ Religious tradition.
I admit that I knew that this was a Catholic tradition but didn't realise that the C o E had adopted it.
It is of no relevance to me but the Church of Scotland has no such restrictions.
Being pescatarian we will be having a paella today. :wave:
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 am

We are having Trout today, not because of custom, OH and Grandson caught it yesterday. Just been watching lambs being born in the field opposite our house (one had 2) so the rack of lamb is off the menu for a while :lolno:

In St. Lucia, Barbados etc they have what is called "Fish Friday" old tradition but now just an excuse for a jump-up!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Wish I had cooked meat...tried the trout cooked with ginger...it was yuk :thumbdown:

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:45 pm

It would be yuk. . . much as I like ginger, there is a time and place for everything :lolno:
Why do people always want to 'fiddle' with fish?
Keep it simple fry in olive oil or bake wrapped in tinfoil with some butter and a shallot.
If you want to be more adventurous try smoking it. :thumbup:
Ann

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:25 pm

I fiddle with fish because I don't really like it :lol: You are probably right though, a lot of food is messed up these days with too many additions.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Having no such hang ups about eating meat on any day of the week I've just had a very good 'pollo asado' - dogs enjoyed it also! :)
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 pm

If you want to be more adventurous try smoking it
I'll stick to Marlboro.
Dave

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:49 pm

:lol:
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:07 pm

gerryh wrote: Not eating meat on Good Friday is a Christian/ Religious tradition.
I shall be eating meat today.
Exactly - a tradition, maybe, because there's nothing in the Bible to suggest that we should not eat meat, in fact there is a lot to encourage it.
I thought Jesus came so that we could have life, and have it more abundantly, not to put restrictions upon it!
... but that's "Popery" for you - restrictions and control. :thumbdown:

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Nothing to do with 'Popery'. It's all to do with penance - a form of that being abstinence which there are countless references to in the bible. God’s first command to man with respect to abstinence occurred in the Garden of Eden. Gen 2:17 “. There are various other references to abstaining from eating meat in the bible observed by more religons than catholics. In fact there are various examples of Christ himself fasting and abstaining, Christ fasted forty days in the desert, during which time He took neither food nor drink. Christians have abstained from eating meat on Fridays in commemoration of His passion and death since the First Century.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Oh no - a religious zealot.
Dave

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Not at all. Just answering a question that was asked and correcting an incorrect statement. That's all.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:53 pm

The bible can be interpreted to mean almost anything you like, this is Genesis 2:17
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and euill, thou shalt not eate of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die."
- King James Version (1611)
I am not religious but I was brought up in the Church of Scotland faith, my father was a church elder and one of my uncles was a Minister. Church of Scotland considers itself a christian church, yet they allow the eating of any type of food any day of the year.
I do not know for certain but feel that there will be other 'Christian' religions that also condone the eating of meat on Fridays :crazy:
Ann