Address Problem

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Address Problem

Postby IreneD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:59 am

About a year after we bought our house, someone(Ayuntamiento? Correo?) decided in their wisdom to give the streets lovely new number plaques outside the houses. Problem is that we now have the number of next door's house on our wall and ditto all down the street. I don't know why - maybe a ruin got knocked down or something which altered the number of houses in the street........... It hasn't been a huge problem so far, as the only important-ish mail (as far as I know) that's gone to the house next door (which is unoccupied) would be our Endesa bills. It's annoying but we can see what money has gone out of our account to Endesa and all looks well there. Bank statements have always gone to our UK address, our gestor contacts us by e-mail. We get the mail for the house on the other side, also a holiday home and we put their mail through their door for them.

But now that we're living here, we want to sort it out. For one thing, we will want to buy a car - what address do we use for the documents, fer Pete's sake! :crazy: It would be simple to just give the number on the outside of the house, but strictly speaking, that isn't the number of the house we own according to our escritura and the notary's office. We do use the number on the house as our address for car rental but maybe that isn't a good idea really.......or even legal?

Any ideas as to how to put this right?

Chunky Monky
Resident

Re: Address Problem

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Get together with your neighbours and put the correct number on each house.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:07 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:Get together with your neighbours and put the correct number on each house.
+1 :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I had a feeling someone would say that! First problem is - apart from the Danish chap who owns the holiday home next door - everyone else in the street is Spanish and our Spanish is poor (but improving). I am guessing that they're not bothered and just give each other the correct mail and if only the house next door was occupied, I'd be happy to do that, too. Signing on the padron, the health centre etc. will all cause problems. Maybe we should just change our house no and chip off next door's.....hmmm......that might actually work. It's a pity whichever authority who installed them did such a good job - the numbers are all on pretty decorated plaques set into the walls - and they're big!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm

The Ayuntamiento should be so keen to get you on the padron (for the money from the Junta) that you could try using that as a lever?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 pm

I think that's the answer, isn't it, Peter? It's clearly a mistake, so someone needs to put it right. I've just had a walk up and down the street and it's a bit of a jumble - I can't even find 2 numbers. The annoying thing is, we did have a faded, painted no. outside which was obvious ignored when the plaque with the wrong no. was put over it! Duh! Thanks for the responses :thumbup:

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 pm

One easy way would be to get a PO box, we have one, a lot of my (Spanish) neighbours official post has our house number on it, apparently many years ago they changed all the numbers in the street but he never bothered to inform anyone because the post men/women know who he is - so we only get his post when the regular postie is on holiday, then you see lots of people out in the street swapping post :D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:17 pm

pilgrim2 wrote:One easy way would be to get a PO box,
But that now costs €100 a year for two people at the same address.

Sid

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Other streets have the same problem then, pilgrim2 - so crazy isn't it? Thanks for the idea, hopefully we can avoid that - as Sid says, it costs money and we are poor pensioners :cry: Soooo tempted to try to chop off the number on the next house and put it on ours but no doubt I'd break it, it's a ceramic type plaque, cemented in. Plus the lady who owns the house does visit from time to time. We will go to the ayuntamiento and try to sort it.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I would suggest adding a note below next door's letter box to say that any post for Irene & Fred Bloggs or whatever your names are should be delivered next door at number whatever.
If you see the postman actually delivering you can explain the problem to him.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:12 pm

gerryh wrote: If you see the postman actually delivering you can explain the problem to him.
Cheers
Gerry
We have to do that every time we get a new postman as our address is Calle XXXX but our front door is on Calle YYYY. No idea why unless it was originally 2 houses which were knocked into one. There isn't a house next door to put a note on either!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Gerry - thanks, that's another way round the problem. I need to get into the Spanish vibe and chill! What's a little thing like the wrong house no. and mail possibly going astray lol.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Irene, welcome to Spain :lol: :lol: :lol:

We also have a address problem, we have 2 number 16 one being ours, they changed the name of the carreterra too but nobody uses it, so we don't, I just use the address on my deeds for legal things and because my house is a easier delivery than the other number 16, the postie puts theirs post in our buzon, well if its not Domingo our regular postie.

Can you not just gloss over the numbers and paint the correct number on there ?
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:38 pm

It's such a pretty plaque, but yes, I suppose we could, Julie. Maybe I'll wait for my daughter to come out, the one who painted our 'Muriel' on our kitchen wall - at least she'd make an artistic job of it :lol:

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:43 pm

My house is 23 but the escritura says 21. 21 is a shed. I hope I haven't bought that instead of my house. :wtf:
The village changed the numbers years ago.
Dave

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:49 pm

:lol: :lol: That worries me, too, lol! Our house is only 'umble, but it's a lot nicer than next doors, wonder if we bought that!!

Seems to be quite common, then. But I doubt your postman would leave mail for you in the shed, Dave :thumbup:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:07 pm

IreneD wrote: What's a little thing like the wrong house no. and mail possibly going astray lol.
We recently went to make a purchase using the OH's Barclaycard - the card was refused, Baclaycard said it had been cancelled because mail had been returned as undelivered, despite the address having all the right Buzon number etc, and having received mail from them perfectly well for 6 years!
The story of trying to make a poor imitation of Peter Sellers speaking Bombay understand the words "Calle" "LLano", and "Spain" to get the address on their records absolutely correct is not fit for reasonable people. :roll:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 am

peteroldracer wrote: The story of trying to make a poor imitation of Peter Sellers speaking Bombay understand the words "Calle" "LLano", and "Spain" to get the address on their records absolutely correct is not fit for reasonable people. :roll:
Go on ! I could do with a good laugh . :thumbup:
Todos somos Lorca.

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:48 pm

El Cid wrote:
pilgrim2 wrote:One easy way would be to get a PO box,
But that now costs €100 a year for two people at the same address.

Sid
Ouch!! Ours costs 55 euros per year for up to 4 people at the local Correos
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:41 pm

malagaman2005 wrote: Ouch!! Ours costs 55 euros per year for up to 4 people at the local Correos

Not any more - it's €55 for the first name and €35 for each of the others up to a maximum of 5 people with the same box.

It has just changed - it's because people were abusing it and having their friends and neighbours sharing one box. You should get a letter explaining this and asking you to sort it out by the end of May.

Sid