Slow Puncture

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
casaalba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Slow Puncture

Postby casaalba » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Where can I get my slow puncture sorted in the Coin area? Are there any small independent garages who would sort it as I have been to the kwik fit type places and they want to sell me a new tyre.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Slow Puncture

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:48 pm

Try one of the instant tyre repair kits in an aerosol that seal the tyre. They are about €6 in any of the big supermarkets. You just squirt the can into the tyre and it seals it. Many new cars now come with no spare wheel and include one of these kits instead.

Sid

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:17 pm

El Cid wrote:Many new cars now come with no spare wheel and include one of these kits instead.

Sid
Yes, I've just bought one, which means I now have to shell out on a spare wheel and tyre.
The last time I had to change a wheel on the autovía, a can of pressurized goo wouldn't have been a bit of good as the sidewall of the tyre was blown out. I wouldn't feel safe driving a car without a spare.

In answer to the OP, nearly all tyre fitters in our area also repair slow punctures, Have you checked the valve is not leaking?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm

White Horse wrote: I wouldn't feel safe driving a car without a spare.
Fair comment but there just isn't enough room in the boot of my Ferrari to get one in! :lol:

Sid

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Cassaalba,
There are 3 places I can think of.
One is on the first roundabout past Mercadona going in the Cartama direction (opposite side of road).
One is in a nave in El Rodeo. Turn right at the second roundabout past the Repsol garage and it is halfway down that road.
The third is on the right at the roundabout that takes you into the old town (the one before the health centre).
Can't vouch for any of them as we have been fortunate enough not to need their services so far (she says touching wood).
Ann

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:05 pm

El Cid wrote:Try one of the instant tyre repair kits in an aerosol that seal the tyre. They are about €6 in any of the big supermarkets. You just squirt the can into the tyre and it seals it. Many new cars now come with no spare wheel and include one of these kits instead.
Sid
Yes, I had one with a new Honda, never had to use it thank goodness. I believe they are a bit like saver tyres, they're to get you home, or to nearest tyre place. Kits like this below clearly state that it's to get you to a dealer ASAP, it's not recommended as a permanent repair. I would think the kits are all a similar type of contents.

http://tinyurl.com/6sv9f3u
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:22 pm

[quote="frank"][quote="El Cid"] Kits like this below clearly state that it's to get you to a dealer ASAP, it's not recommended as a permanent repair.

True - if you get a dirty great hole in the tyre then it needs vulcanising. However slow punctures can be a real pain and the tyre places often cannot find them as they lose air so slowly.

I the case of slow punctures the kits find the tiny hole and seal it and don't need any further action unless the air loss reoccurs in a bigger way.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi casaalba,
If the valve isn't leaking (rare) then you have probably picked up a nail so will need to get a vulcanised repair done. Don't pull it out . Put spare on unless you too have a Ferrari like Sid. 8)
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:10 pm

El Cid wrote:

True - if you get a dirty great hole in the tyre then it needs vulcanising.
It needs skipping Sid :D

It's actually funny how even a large diameter nail when pulled out of a tyre leaves barely a trace when extracted. The repairs with the normal bung and patch are done in most tyre fitting bays in Spain i'd imagine as they are here.

Got me thinking now as I've been out in two of the cars over the weekend that don't have a spare between them..or a can of magic gloop for that matter :think:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: Got me thinking now as I've been out in two of the cars over the weekend that don't have a spare between them..or a can of magic gloop for that matter :think:
I did notice that one of the Caterhams in the F1 Grand Prix did seem to be a three wheeler - is yours one of those?

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Technical issues Sid, merely technical issues :D

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 am

Are you sure that the kwik Fit type tyre companies haven't spotted a defect or screw embedded near or on the tyre wall?
I recently had to replace a tyre on a high performance car because of this (VW Golf R32).
It's a safety issue and I was glad to do it.
Mind you ,you are in Spain and the rip off factor is high so you're right to shop around.
I always inspect my hire car tyres....the worst I've had was a great big chunk missing from the sidewall that had been glued back.
I rejected it. :thumbdown:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:48 am

Hi,
If you do end up having to get a new tyre get the same a you already have, so you have a matching pair on the same axle.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 am

Hmm, R32, very nippy thing. Wasn't you was it that picked on my poor old Leyland Mini coming off the M58 sliproad on to the Rainford bypass on Saturday? Cost me a gallon of juice to get rid of you :mrgreen:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:07 am

DA,
No not me,I'm just an old geezer pottering around darn Sarf :wave:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:10 am

I don't believe you're old or potter Nimmy :wave:

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 am

Devils Advocate wrote:I don't believe you're old or potter Nimmy :wave:

DA,
I'll give you a clue....my first car was a 1934 Ford 8hp Y type,bought for £7/10/- in 1964!

Always been a petrol head,got it from my uncle who owned a series of classic cars....although in those days they were just every day transport.
A further clue...I could have bought my uncle's Alvis Speed 25 for £145 in 1965 but I couldn't afford it.

Probably 75 grand now!

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Are you sure you have a slow puncture? Last month I thought I had one on my old Jeep 4 x 4. I was into the service station every other day to top up the air until I decided to do something about it and visit my local tyre depot. Using my best spanish I mumbled a few words about reparacion and puncion. The guy removed the wheel and pumped it up and checked the tyre over fully and he spent quite some time cleaning it and scraping about. Then he put the wheel back on again and said it was now OK and he wanted 8 euros. :D I was totally confused as he definately had not repaired anything. He told me there was nothing wrong with the tyre and the problem was because the wheel was alloy and the problem was caused by alot of fine dust!! I still don't understand it, but problem solved and no need for a top up of air since. Certainly no rip off merchant here, I had been putting off going to get it checked as I was really worried I may be told I needed a new tyre.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Alloy wheels have a tendency to corrode where the tyre meets the wheel rim, hence you get a slow leakage of air.
A good clean up of the rim and re fitting the tyre cures the problem until it corrodes again.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes,could well be that....bad seal between tyre bead and rim.