Ticks!!

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Shrews
Tourist

Ticks!!

Postby Shrews » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:18 pm

At the moment we live in Murcia and ticks are very prevalent. Do you have the same problem in Andalucia?
Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter don't mind...And those that mind don't matter.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ticks!!

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Shrews,
Ok here on the mountain, mice are the problem here. Spoilt one's week as I caught it within the hour of seeing it. 8)

Advantix drops seem to work well. (for Ticks etc)

Tunnel traps for mice.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes. It's shaping up to be, probably, the worst tick year in the last 10 that I've lived here.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Shrews
Tourist

Postby Shrews » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks Trooperman & Enrique. Our dog has the Frontline and the collar but some days we manage to get up to a dozen ticks off her from walking in the campo. We were just wondering if it wouldnt be so bad when/if we move to the area, being as there are so many olive trees and not agriculture etc.
Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter don't mind...And those that mind don't matter.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm

I think any dog running through the campo would pick up tics :( I always kept my German shephard and yorkie on the lead and didn't have a problem, but I had to pull them off the neigbours dog all the time after our walks, her not being on a lead, she was in the rough all the time, enjoy your move :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Shrews
Tourist

Postby Shrews » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Julie. yes we hope we sell ours soon and can move to Andalucia. Looks like we will always have the problem of ticks but as long as we keep treating her, we all will be fine. :wink:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:28 am

Frontline does not seem to work as well for ticks here, especially over the last 2 years, .....since using Advantix we have less of a problem, and remember that if your dogs walk near where goats have been they have a much greater risk of picking up ticks...

Shrews
Tourist

Postby Shrews » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am

Jool wrote:Frontline does not seem to work as well for ticks here, especially over the last 2 years, .....since using Advantix we have less of a problem, and remember that if your dogs walk near where goats have been they have a much greater risk of picking up ticks...
Interesting Jool, will have to look into this and see if also better for Our dog. Thanks

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Ticks here this year are terrible — on a Biblical Plague level. We use Frontline on the dog and it seems to work but we pull a dozen or more small dead dried ticks off the surface of his coat each day. Do they bite the dog before being killed by the Frontline or is just walking on his coat enough to kill them?

Shrews
Tourist

Postby Shrews » Fri May 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Dont think the Frontline kills them but it protects the dog from the effects of the bite. Horrid things they are Yuk!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat May 12, 2012 7:33 am

It kills them. There wouldn't be much point in using it if it didn't.

Sid

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sat May 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Using Advantix here on our three and, even though they run in the campo almost every day, they are free of ticks at the moment.
Brian.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Sun May 13, 2012 6:13 am

Our cats had tick treatment just before being shipped from UK in early May. When do we need to get them treated again? They don't venture outside our property but the local shepherd brings his sheep right along our boundary so there is a fairly good chance of ticks getting through the chain link unless Andalusian ticks are huge :lol:
Also what is best to get for cats?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun May 13, 2012 7:21 am

Hi sujee,
For our cat we use Virbac EFFIPRO once a month if we catch her. She ranges over the Campo.
The local goat man retired some years ago so no goats passing.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Mon May 14, 2012 7:01 am

Thanks Enrique

One more question... Where would be the best place to get it? I have heard that some animal medication is bought at pharmacies. We are new to living in Spain and still climbing the steep learning curve.

Sue

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 am

We have bought Frontline and worming products via the internet. A friend kindly had it sent to her sister's so she picked it up whilst in the UK. A 6 pack of Frontline for cats was about 18 pounds, but the vet here charges 25€ for 3, so perhaps worth trying to buy on-line.
Just checked the site she uses, vetepet.com but it looks like Frontline has gone up to over 20 pounds for 6 pipettes now, but Drontal tablets (which the vet has charged around 5 - 7€ for in the past) is only 1.94 pounds per tablet. I have also bought Effipro spot on for fleas whilst in Gibraltar and that was also much cheaper than here. I'm not sure why the prices are so high here for animal products when I usually find human medication much cheaper in Spain.
We have had a lot of ticks brought in on the cats' coats. We have found them in the bed (that is our bed, after the cats has sat on it :thumbdown: ) and we have both had a couple attached to us :wtf: . If you are in the campo and there is a good chance there'll be ticks around.

Footprint
Resident

Postby Footprint » Mon May 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Scalibor collars at the vet here are 24 euros each - £9 online from the UK. These collars also guard against ticks. When staying with friends their two dogs were always picking them up - my two even though they went through the same places didn't. They used Advantix and no collar - I use Frontline spot on and the Scalibor collar. Not sure how significant this is though. Their dogs are soft-coated and my two are double-coated Border Terriers - the outer coat being harsh - and this may play a part.

Just something that comes with the territory and not that much hassle to be vigilant.
You can spend, minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened - or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f**k on.