Missing information on screen

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Missing information on screen

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Is it possible to adjust what is shown on a tv screen - annoyingly things like the "laps remaining" and suchlike are outside the screen area - and this on a big screen tv!
It is evident on lots of programmes - only the middle three of the row of contenders sitting on their stools waiting for Dale Winton to summon them are visible - maybe with the inner leg of numbers one and five, or the anchor newscasters are talking to a colleague off to the left or right, who is obviously meant to be shown but remains an off-screen voice!
Chainging the aspect ratio does nothing - the same picture is shown but with more or less black area around it. Is there anything that can be done?
Our previous Sony Vega suffered from this, and it has dissappointed me that our recently purchased flat-screen LG is just the same, especially now the MotoGP and F1 seasons are here.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Missing information on screen

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:04 pm

One of the video settings is wrong. It might be the zoom option. What's the make and model?

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:53 pm

If it is carried over two TVs then it could be the Sat box as opposed to the TV couldn't it ?

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 pm

peteroldracer wrote: annoyingly things like the "laps remaining",
especially now the MotoGP seasons are here.
If the screens that big you should be able to read the pit boards as you go past! :lol:

Check if there is a setting called 'smart screen'. My Sony doesn't show the top or bottom of some images in the normal 14:9 (or whatever it is called), but if I select 'Smart screen' it seems to 'squeeze' them in.
On the Sony zapper its on the button that has the diagram that looks like the globe with latitude and longtitude lines. (now I apologise in advance if there is incorrect info here, as I am working from memory!)
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

quebin
Resident

Postby quebin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 am

On our Sony the button for screen settings is on the top line of the remote,it is the middle button of three and looks like a squashed globe with latitude and longitude lines.Ours is set to auto.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:40 pm

The comment about the Sky box made me check the picture settings on that. It was on 4:3, and I have changed that to 16:9 - this seems to have increased the scope of what the picture shows, but the scrolling news ticker, and corner captions like "Sky News" or "BBC" now appear to have moved inwards!
I will have to stick with this for a while and see if that niggles me more than things being half off the screen!
Next time there is MotoGP or F1 Scalextric I will try switching between Spanish digital and Freesat and see if it is down to the Sky box.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:11 pm

There should be an option to select the aspect ratio on the TV itself. There might be a ratio key on the remote and there should be an option somewhere in the TV menu to set the ratio. It could be that it's not set to the right option. Some TVs have a 14:9 option. Just find the options and see if they sort the problem.

Certainly the Sky box has to be set to 16:9. Also remember that not all transmissions are widescreen and this can create odd effects.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Changing the aspect ratio on the tv merely kept the same information visible, but changed the shape and/or size of that picture, with e.g. "3 laps to go" in the top left-hand corner when it was 23 laps, which is what was puzzling and annoying me. Next time I can compare the 2 sources I will see if there is any difference in visible picture content.
Thanks all for your thoughts.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:39 pm

I also have a large screen LG tv and experience the same problem, it's very annoying! Like you I've tried every version of the aspect ratio and just end up with either no border or a wide border around the actual picture. :?

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 pm

If using a Sky box makre sue the Sky box picture ratio is on 16:9
You also have to make sure the TV is set to 16:9 or "wide"

If the two settings on boththe box and TV are not the same them you will not get the full image on the screen.

14:9 and 16:9 are not the same.
And some autoswitching / smartscreen also causes problems as they dont always select the correct ration.

The bbc / sky news banners will look to move inwards. thats becasuse they are also catering for people who still ahve 4:3 TVs....ubt if you see the gap between the ticker and the edge of the screen then you are now seeing the full 16:9 image....you can also see this on QVC - their product details are further in on 16:9, yet on 4:3 some of it is off the screen.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Tue May 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi. Thanks for that info. Sky box ratio was set at 4:3 so changed it to 16:9 as you advised. That threw it into chaos! Lost connection, switched off including power but to little effect. After a lot of pressing buttons on remote managed to get intermittent connection and during that changed ratio back to 4:3 and all well again. Sky box is quite ancient, over 9 yrs old! Think I best stick with what I had before. :shock:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed May 02, 2012 6:38 pm

I changed to 16:9 with no problems - other than having to get used to some captions being well in from the edge of course!
I now await next F1 or MotoGP to see if I get all the information that has been chopped off before....

What a forum this is - I can watch F1 live on Antena3 with English commentary from Radio5, and get the bigger picture (an expression beloved of politicians, but in my case meant literally).
Thanks guys!

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Estoril MotoGP this weekend.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 06, 2012 5:50 pm

All the information was beautifully displayed - thanks all!
All it needs now is for the boring Moto2 and even worse Moto3 classes to be rejigged to allow two-strokes, electrics, multi-cylinders, up to 9 gears, in capacity classes, without mufflers and the sport will be as interesting as it was in the 70s!

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun May 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Good.

Moto 2 is not that bad, be fair.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sun May 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Bring back lawnmower racing.
Dave