Yippeeeee! €1.23 to £

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
villasur
Tourist

Re: Yippeeeee! €1.23 to £

Postby villasur » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 pm

So CID,
are you saying that if I were to write a cheque to myself say for a £1000 from Barclays UK account and paid it into my Barclays Espana account, then I wouldn't be to far away from the rate offered by the FX exchange companies , even after bank charges.

thanks

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 am

That depends. to a huge extent, on the actual bank charges surely!

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Wed May 09, 2012 5:52 am

Currencyfair are offering 1.2372 atm. (minus charges)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 09, 2012 6:00 am

villasur wrote:So CID,
are you saying that if I were to write a cheque to myself say for a £1000 from Barclays UK account and paid it into my Barclays Espana account, then I wouldn't be to far away from the rate offered by the FX exchange companies , even after bank charges.

thanks
Some banks don't charge at all. Some banks charge a lot. Some won't even accept a UK cheque.

Even then the rates are usually negotiable with your local bank manager. We have a very good deal with ours as we have had an account there for some time.

The rate you get varies - our bank is usually just over a centimo different from the commercial rate.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed May 09, 2012 3:56 pm

El Cid wrote:
villasur wrote:So CID,

thanks
Some banks don't charge at all. Some banks charge a lot. Some won't even accept a UK cheque.

Even then the rates are usually negotiable with your local bank manager. We have a very good deal with ours as we have had an account there for some time.

The rate you get varies - our bank is usually just over a centimo different from the commercial rate.

Sid
So is mine & no charges.
Todos somos Lorca.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm

katy wrote:Do you really think that Spain doesn't lie :roll: People who have fallen out of benefit after two years are not counted and that's just for a starting example.
No but I think there is far less ability to manipulate the U/e figures than there is in the UK.
The figures indicate that there is a working age population in excess of 39 million. They also show that between 29 & 30 million work . Where are the other 10 million then as they are not pensioners or children u-16 ?
markwilding wrote:Then there's a heck of a lot of people working whilst registered unemployed.The black economy is enormous in Spain.
Yes I agree . There are also a large amount who are not in the system at all !
katy wrote:Yeah, yeah, beginning to sound like a internet myth. There are other figures to support the unemployment ones like manufactoring down over 10% in a year. Even if it were so it's not going to help the country is it! Someone from Wall St. Journal said on TV tonight that Spain is the titanic heading for an iceburg...still what do they know, probably just sour grapes :lol:
Yes but they have a vested interest in keeping the pressure on the EU/anywhere else to stop the focus being on the US where the situation is far worse than the eu as a whole.
How can anyone still take advice/ratings from moodys, s&p, fitch , when they were the instigators of the whole mess by rating non-recourse bundled bonds as AAA ? Merkel was spot on when she said we need an independent eu ratings agency.
As I've said before it's all speculators & gamblers working together to spread unrest & earn them money.If this was taken out of the equation then it is quite possible for economys to recover , but while you allow these parasites to contiue trading in this manner it will continue.
Todos somos Lorca.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed May 09, 2012 6:16 pm

gus-lopez wrote:
Yes but they have a vested interest in keeping the pressure on the EU/anywhere else to stop the focus being on the US where the situation is far worse than the eu as a whole.
How can anyone still take advice/ratings from moodys, s&p, fitch , when they were the instigators of the whole mess by rating non-recourse bundled bonds as AAA ? Merkel was spot on when she said we need an independent eu ratings agency.
As I've said before it's all speculators & gamblers working together to spread unrest & earn them money.If this was taken out of the equation then it is quite possible for economys to recover , but while you allow these parasites to contiue trading in this manner it will continue.
My sentiments exactly. :thumbup:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed May 09, 2012 7:08 pm

I also agree.

poppylou
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppylou » Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 am

1.244 euros to £ yesterday drawing cash on Halifax Clarity card.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

That's the way to do it :clap:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 10, 2012 5:37 pm

So UK unemployment is as bad as Spain's 24% :lolno: and all the downgradings of Spains banks, provinces (Valencia debt has been listed as junk) etc. is all the fault of S&P, the Americans and Uncle Tom Cobbly et al....on this logic then Greece has also been unfairly treated, Portugal and Ireland too...you couldn't make it up. All those nasty financiers making Spain pay 6% to borrow when the UK and Germany can borrow at less than 2% it's a world conspiracy aganst Spain :lol: :lol: :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu May 10, 2012 10:11 pm

katy wrote:So UK unemployment is as bad as Spain's 24% :lolno: and all the downgradings of Spains banks, provinces (Valencia debt has been listed as junk) etc. is all the fault of S&P, the Americans and Uncle Tom Cobbly et al....on this logic then Greece has also been unfairly treated, Portugal and Ireland too...you couldn't make it up. All those nasty financiers making Spain pay 6% to borrow when the UK and Germany can borrow at less than 2% it's a world conspiracy aganst Spain :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought much the same, it's all to easy to blame everyone else, it's time for Spain to "man up" and take the blame for the state it is in. It's hardly surprising the outside world has so little confidence in Spain's ability to sort itself out, the Spanish themselves are partaking of capital flight on a huge scale, they have no belief in Spain whatsoever. In March alone, about 65 billion euros left Spain for other euro- zone countries, mainly Germany, you can hardly blame everyone else for that, or for Spain's black economy.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri May 11, 2012 7:02 am

katy wrote:So UK unemployment is as bad as Spain's 24% :lolno: and all the downgradings of Spains banks, provinces (Valencia debt has been listed as junk) etc. is all the fault of S&P, the Americans and Uncle Tom Cobbly et al....on this logic then Greece has also been unfairly treated, Portugal and Ireland too...you couldn't make it up. All those nasty financiers making Spain pay 6% to borrow when the UK and Germany can borrow at less than 2% it's a world conspiracy aganst Spain :lol: :lol: :lol:
No , I didn't say that but was pointing out that the Uk's is far worse than is bandied about.
I have never said that all the fault is someone else's , Spain has to take responsibility for it's problems & work out someway to get out of the mess. While I can see that moving money to so called safer havens is what some people do , I personally don't agree with it nor with most forms of unearned income.

Shares were invented for people to buy , so loaning money to companies to enable them to expand, increase production & create more jobs. The shares purchased paid dividends to the shareholders assuming company profits. They were not meant to be bought & sold by speculators trying to drive up/down the company price depending on what direction suited them to make money .
I live in Spain , therefore that is where my money is.Most of it was transferred at 1,60-1,50 =£.
I could have sent 60% of it back when the euro fell to near parity , so receiving in £'s what was originally transferred , but I didn't. If I had I could now be returning them again as the rate rises. I didn't because I don't agree with it , it's unearned income/speculation/gambling, call it what you want, & the reason for the vast majority of the financial problems that are current today! Jesus was right in throwing the money lenders from the temple & the same applies today. I personally wouldn't have any problem in shooting them all.
Todos somos Lorca.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

Spanish Debt per citizen: € 15,354
UK debt per citizen: £ 18,816
Dave

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 am

Mowser wrote:Spanish Debt per citizen: € 15,354
Which at todays rates is 23,501.18€ :thumbdown: But is easier to pay back with the higher wages in the UK.
Todos somos Lorca.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 am

gus-lopez wrote: No , I didn't say that but was pointing out that the Uk's is far worse than is bandied about.
I'm always amazed at this argument that UK is somehow able to hide the figures, is able to somehow disguise the actual state of the economy, and that the UK might be the only country capable of doing this. All the figures are freely available, it's any governments job to put a positive spin on everything, I hope you don't believe everything the Spanish, French, Germans, Greeks etc tell us. However well you think UK might hide the true figures, Spain has always had much higher unemployment, even in the "boom" years it had around 11%, that would be considered disastrous for most countries. Fortunately the men that lend the money are aware of the true situation and happy to lend us money at ~2% whilst charging Spain 6%, and we're still in a position to pump billions into trying to save the euro, and as yet haven't found the need to hold out the begging bowl to be rescued like some other countries.
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 11, 2012 9:30 am

gus-lopez wrote:
Mowser wrote:Spanish Debt per citizen: € 15,354
Which at todays rates is 23,501.18€ :thumbdown: But is easier to pay back with the higher wages in the UK.
Agree, not only a higher wage, but a lot, lot more people working and paying their taxes. Debt is a necessary evil today, all countries seem to have it, it's the ability to pay it back that counts.
Regards, Frank

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 am

frank wrote:
gus-lopez wrote: No , I didn't say that but was pointing out that the Uk's is far worse than is bandied about.
I'm always amazed at this argument that UK is somehow able to hide the figures, is able to somehow disguise the actual state of the economy, and that the UK might be the only country capable of doing this. All the figures are freely available, it's any governments job to put a positive spin on everything, I hope you don't believe everything the Spanish, French, Germans, Greeks etc tell us. However well you think UK might hide the true figures, Spain has always had much higher unemployment, even in the "boom" years it had around 11%, that would be considered disastrous for most countries. Fortunately the men that lend the money are aware of the true situation and happy to lend us money at ~2% whilst charging Spain 6%, and we're still in a position to pump billions into trying to save the euro, and as yet haven't found the need to hold out the begging bowl to be rescued like some other countries.
Does the £1.2 trillion that had to be committed by the British Government to bail out the banks not count, then?

I see JP Morgan Chase has posted a $2bn loss today due to "risky trades" by some of its dealers, which has sent bank shares plunging again. When are these people going to learn? Never, unless they are made to, because it's not their money they are playing with.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Fri May 11, 2012 9:47 am

Free at Last wrote:
Does the £1.2 trillion that had to be committed by the British Government to bail out the banks not count, then?
As you said, it came from the British Government, not like the Spanish banks receiving billions from the ECB.
Jaime García-Legaz, the Spanish secretary of state for the economy, told the Spanish television channel laSexta on Friday that Spain “would be dead” without the loans provided by the European Central Bank.
Regards, Frank

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 11, 2012 9:53 am

frank wrote:
As you said, it came from the British Government, not like the Spanish banks receiving billions from the ECB.
Didn't realise Gordon had that much in his piggy bank. Actually I think they would have had to borrow most of it.