Operating issues with Win7 (text size)

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Operating issues with Win7 (text size)

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 8:03 am

I know I've been using Win7 for ages on the desk top machine but that is a dedicated PC for other things and as such I've done no web browsing on it whatsoever..........so the win7 laptop I bought yesterday is my first in reality for going on the net using Win7.

All is fine and very similar to previous windows operating system apart from one annoyance........the page layout and font size for the particular site you are browsing.

In a nutshell in the last system I could right click when on a website and in the drop down box there would be a "page" setting where I could adjust size of type for that particular site and that was that. Now all I seem to have is the cog at the top right of screen to set the percentage, nowt in the right clicked drop box..........but that cog (tools) only sets the size for EVERY site. So, I'm on A.com now for instance and font is uncomfortably massive.............yet when I switch back to the other site I use, the font needs a bloody magnifying glass to read it. What function have I not found yet that enables me to set the font size on different sites as opposed to only being able to change the lot?

Why has the "page" option been dropped?..what's in its place? or am I missing a trick here?

Hard to explain clearly, apologies.

Many thanks as always for the lift :thumbup:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Operating issues with Win7 (text size)

Postby gerryh » Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 am

Ctrl + to make it bigger
Ctrl - to make it smaller

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 15, 2012 8:22 am

Hi DA,
Use your two gestures fingers to stroke/pinch the touch pad.
If using a mouse..use Ctrl key and mouse wheel.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Operating issues with Win7 (page size)

Postby El Cid » Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 am

As Gerry says, use the Ctrl key. I would just add that you can use Ctrl 0 to go back to the default. Also it seems to remember the setting for each individual site.

I assume you are using Internet Explorer. It's not so much a change in the Operating system, it's a change to Internet Explorer.

If you use Google Chrome the above works as well but you do have zoom controls on the tools menu.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 8:30 am

Gerry, Enrique,Sid.........thanks for super swift responses, all answers and methods work..........and I'm glad to say it does store them once adjusted. Didn't know I could do that with the touch pad Enrique......it works........this a better site than most dedicated techie forums for getting answers, appreciated guys :thumbup:

Now just one more daft thing if you could help please?................whatever website I open from scratch appears on the screen in reduced mode.............ie I have to click the "square" to open it up fully, not a major problem but it'd be great to sort that one too................then I'd be totally at one with the world :D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 8:39 am

Hmmm, using the ctrl - + method and the touch pad thing certainly works but it alters every site I've just found out, not just the one being viewed. Am I wrong in thinking that my last laptop with the previous windows could alter for individual sites as opposed to altering the lot?............as I say this was always done through the "page" feature.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 am

Hi DA,
So you can be at one with the World and I can get out strimming before the temp gets to 30c..

Open a webpage. Stretch it out to fullsize. Don't use maximize.
Choose any link on that webpage and right-click> open in a new window.
Stretch that second window out to the desired size- don't use maximize.
Close the first IE window. Then close that second resized window.

8)

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 am

Cheers Enrique, you get on with your strimming...........don't worry about me, nobody else does :mrgreen:

I shall spend the next hour or two working out those instructions...........I can see smoke billowing out of this bug6er later, I can just feel it in my water :lol:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 9:21 am

Mrs Enrique :wave: , could you drag that husband of yours away from his strimming please as he's more important things to do...........like err, helping me :)

Could you tell him that after following his instructions the page now opens full width............however it is still only half height. A 50% improvement I'll admit but still not satisfactory. I still have to click on the square or it's like reading the page through a letterbox.

The grass can wait, things like this can't :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Go to the top right hand corner of IE, click into the tool menu icon.In the drop down menu, click into the zoom option and choose your defalt preference. I usually keep mine at 100%

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for the post. Yes I always keep mine at 100%. The thing is though at 100%, for instance this page now on A.com may be perfect, I then go to another site and the text is very small........so I make it larger via the methods suggested on this thread and all is well...........however when I return to A.com text is too big once more.

I was certain there was a feature in XP and others where you could alter text size for that paarticular site.............however I'm now beginning to think I may be mistaken given the responses. Something is not quite right though, I never had this variation on other laptop.

Many thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi DA,

"however it is still only half height." .......so you drag the bottom down to the size you want.

Then..............Close the first IE window. Then close that second resized window.

It does work......... I have IE9 for test purposes only :thumbup:

Firefox is my choice of ride............ :thumbup:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Enrique, many thanks again for your help. I did eventually sort the page size issue, but with a small twist. I used your method and it did work........but would just not give me full screen. I tried many times and failed........then I dragged to about .5mm from the edge of screen and bingo :thumbup: ......t'will do for me now. Again thanks mate!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue May 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi DA,
".so I make it larger via the methods suggested on this thread and all is well...........however when I return to A.com text is too big once more."

You could have a play with Internet Options -> Advanced ...In Accessibility " Rest text size for new windows and tabs", and "Reset zoom level for new windows and tabs"
If you apply and restart IE.

So if I view A.com and reduce it down to tiny, then open a "News" feed(that comes up tiny) pick one to view , right click and open in new tab or Window, it pops up in" normal"(default) size.

Clear as mud.......... :!:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 15, 2012 6:05 pm

DA you are clearly not competant to handle the complexities of Windows 7.

Take it back and buy an iPad :lol: :lol:

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Tue May 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Stop gloating.............and get some more money in your I account whilst I download what I like for free :lol:

Oh borrox........page has just gone massive again :evil:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue May 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Stop gloating.............and get some more money in your I account whilst I download what I like for free :lol:

Oh borrox........page has just gone massive again :evil:
Anything that you download for free will be free on the iPad (assuming it is available or necessary).

Anything that you have to pay for in Windows, the equivalent will be about 5% of the price on the iPad.

I bet you have one within 2 months!

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Wed May 16, 2012 7:53 am

Sid, I may well do, however, and it is only my view that at the moment it would be as well as...as opposed to instead of.

Apart from the text problem on the new laptop :D (sorted now thanks to the good chaps on here) I knew it would be plug and play and do what I need it to do instantly without going on course :P , some of the answers I was given by people selling the Ipad convinced me the IPad is a great tool but not a 100% replacement for the laptop. And to repeat myself once more, apologies............the at the time top Ipod I panic bought did really hacked me off...times change and yes I probably will get an Ipad.......but it'd be a "want" rather than a "need" if that makes sense.

Now just one hands on question for you Sid (or other Ipad owners), just to get the feel for its simplicity.

I download a lot of music from soundcloud, I simply find the mix or track I want, click download and 2 minutes later its on lappy. I then simply plug the Archos into lappy and drag and drop file folder into the player..........no fuss and ready to play.

How simple would that be with the Ipad?...........I take it a bit of faffing around and grovelling to the thing may be required?.............in my experience they did not like raw MP3s being dragged off t'internet a couple of years back :mrgreen:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 16, 2012 8:25 am

Devils Advocate wrote:
Now just one hands on question for you Sid (or other Ipad owners), just to get the feel for its simplicity.

I download a lot of music from soundcloud, I simply find the mix or track I want, click download and 2 minutes later its on lappy. I then simply plug the Archos into lappy and drag and drop file folder into the player..........no fuss and ready to play.

How simple would that be with the Ipad?...........I take it a bit of faffing around and grovelling to the thing may be required?.............in my experience they did not like raw MP3s being dragged off t'internet a couple of years back :mrgreen:
If they are MP3 files you should have no problems. You just put them in the iTunes library and they will synch to the iPad.

One thing different about the iPod and iPad is that, unlike most other music players, they cannot be connected to a PC and just be treated like an external storage device. That's why you have to use iTunes and sync the files from the PC to the iPad.

It is possible to avoid iTunes by using the iCloud. You can send files from your PC via the iMatch service to your free storage on iCloud. The files can then be accessed direct from the iCloud. The main advantage of that approach is if the family has a number of Apple devices they can all share the same music from the iCloud.

For a single device iTunes is the best way and the latest versions have been miles better from a user point of view than the original ones. You also use it to transfer files across such as photos, video and books etc. It also automatically backs up the iPad and syncs any apps you have got via the PC onto the iPad and vice versa.

As this reply really isn't related to the topic of W7 I am also copying it to your other iPad thread so if anyone wants to add any comments please can they post it there.

http://www.andalucia.com/forums/viewtop ... 38#p268738

Sid