My Cat has gone.

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
katy
Andalucia Guru

My Cat has gone.

Postby katy » Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 pm

My almost 21 year old cat was put to sleep today. She had been getting thinner for a couple of months. Vet recommended the only way on Friday but we took her home for the weekend. Everything she ate she brought back. Been feeding her on prawns, fresh trout and minced beef but she couldn't keep it down. The hardest thing was she was still very alert.

I feel as if she has been with me all my life. She has lived in about 9 houses, London, Spain, Geneva and Florida and I could write a book about her adventures :(

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Re: My Cat has gone.

Postby Mowser » Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 pm

So sorry Katy.
Dave

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon May 21, 2012 7:32 pm

I feel for you Katy, there are no words.....sad for the loss of a little life :(

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Mon May 21, 2012 7:56 pm

So sad for you, but better for the cat, but that doesn't help, sorry :(
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 pm

It's always hard and very sad - our GSD was put down after 17 1/2 years, and our 'older' cat at nearly 23. Our 2 remaining 'younger' cats are fast approaching their 18th 'birthdays', and with every passing year we get more twitchy ..... when you've had them so long it's like losing a member of the family.

We had the dog & cat cremated (not together - they died several years apart), and put their ashes in a place that was 'special' to them, or represented somewhere special - the dog under a bench in the shady part of the garden in UK where she liked to lie, and the cat in the middle of an olive tree in our pool terrace here, as she loved the sun & would move around the room to follow it (this was in UK, not Spain, but there's more sun here) The olive is now known as 'the Marmaduke tree', and what better way to remember her ?!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

ladymuck
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ladymuck » Mon May 21, 2012 11:16 pm

So sad, i went back to the uk with 4 spanish rescue dogs , i lost one in 2010 and one this year, have 2 left tiddly and little bob both are 15, one has gone nearly blind and is deaf, have got so used
to having 4 dogs around my house and all the hullabaloo that goes with that. my house is getting
emptier and emptier.
But i do have a new pet called percy who is a fancy pigeon i bought him at an auction without seeing him for 1 pound, i was going to let him go but he turned out to be a fancy pigeon and they dont fly wild so bloody hell i have a pigeon who is quite a character who shows off and does a jig and replies in his own way when u speak to him. :clap: so i am starting a new fashion everyone should have a pigeon.

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue May 22, 2012 7:29 am

Sorry to hear your sad news Katy. Some say it is like losing a family member. They are wrong, they are family members, especially after being cared for by you for 21 years. So sad.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue May 22, 2012 10:43 am

Sorry for your loss Katy :(
I still remember losing my first cat over 20 years ago. She was 18-20 years old, we never knew her exact age as I found her (or she found me) on the street when I was 6 and she was at least 2 then. Her owners had moved and not bothered to take her (callous bar stewards). I cried for a week and still have her collar and ID tag. She went a bit senile later on and took to sleeping in the middle of the road, thankfully all the neighbours knew her and would stop their cars to put her on the doorstep before driving on. We buried her in her favourite spot under a trellis where we used to grow tomatoes, and where she used to snooze in the sun under the tomato plants.
As an only child, she was my constant companion growing up. Even when we got a dog, she made a best friend of her and used to come with us on walks. It still hurts a bit thinking about her and her funny antics even though I have had many, many cats since. They are all unique and ARE family to me and I'm sure she'll be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge, as will my many furry friends.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Tue May 22, 2012 7:07 pm

I know how you feel, I'm a big bloke and you might think I don't cry, but when we had to have our cat put down I cried, couldn't see properly to dig the hole in the garden! :cry:
I cried even more over our dog dying.

Time heals though...

jukim
Resident

Postby jukim » Thu May 24, 2012 4:16 pm

So sorry to hear that... it's heartbreaking and nothing helps. We recently lost our little 18+ year old dog and although we have two others and two cats, the house is just not the same yet... we miss him so terribly. I hope the pain eases with the passing of time for you. :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 24, 2012 6:27 pm

thankyou :) We were just saying the house doesn't seem the same, lost and old dog in Oct and now the cat...feels kind of strange. We now have just 1 cat (15) and a dog (10) and we love them but they don't have the same intelligence and character that the other two had.

My cat started life in some rusty steel in a factory in Sheffield, I took her to London in an open briefcase. Almost daily she came to play hide and seek. I would chase her upstairs and she would hide, then I would hide behind a door and she would come looking and then shoot off again :lol: Amongst the things she brought home is a beautiful white owl (alive) a snake and lots of lizards. She once tried to eat a preying mantis and it got stuck in her throat. One time she got rid of an Alsation in the campo by chasing it and clinging on with her claws in it's back.

We have said we won't have anymore now as they are very tying. A friend has just got two lovely tiny dogs and she travels around all the time. She has taken them to USA and Europe but was stuck when she had to go to australia and new Zealand until we stepped in!

avellana
Resident

Postby avellana » Fri May 25, 2012 1:47 pm

So sorry to hear the news, Katy.
Time heals but you'll never forget her.