Public and Private Schools in La Linea (or near)

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
Frolitas

Public and Private Schools in La Linea (or near)

Postby Frolitas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. I found it while doing some google searches. I hope you can help me. Me and my family will be moving to La Linea/ Gibraltar area in February (2012). My husband has secured a job in Gib and we look forward to our new life there. However, we have many questions but right now, our main concern is our 5 year old daughter. I have searched the web and found there are a number of public schools as well as 2 private colleges (San Pedro, and Providencia del Sagrado Corazon). Do you have any reccomendations for both a public or a private schools? My main concern is, can we enroll her in school in the middle of the year?
We are not English, and although I would like for her to attend an english school, this will not be an option beacuse a) we will not live in Gib and b)Sotogrande is way out of our league (the fees are way to high for us).

I kindly apreciate any advice/ help at this stage.

Thank you :)

Acen
Resident

Re: Public and Private Schools in La Linea (or near)

Postby Acen » Tue May 22, 2012 8:55 am

Have you been to La Linea??? Its a toilet!!!!

You might as well live in Gib and go to the state school there.

Have you actually been to Gib???

Send her to a spanish state school (as she is young enough to pick up spanish in 6 months). Look at Sabinillas, that way she wont be the only non spanish in the class.

Sotogrande int school is €12k+ a year, if you cant afford it thenforget about private school.

I strongly suggest you visit the area first. Ive watched about 70 brits come over and return home as its not what they imagine it will be.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue May 22, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Frolitas,

I live in Sabinillas and used to work in Gib. The journey is do-able and a nicer commute than London for example but, I was fed up of doing it after about 3 years.
My children go to state school in Sabinillas and when they started there were very few British speaking children there which I don't think caused any hindrance. I have found that children pick the language up far quicker if they are immersed in it.
There are other areas which would be nice to live (I agree with Acen that La Linea is not particularly nice) like San Roque, San Enrique, San Martin and Pueblo Nuevo de Guadiaro, which are also a little closer to Gib and all have good state schools. Once you are registered on the Empadronamiento, your child is entitled to a school place from the age of 6 whatever time of year you are applying. Before the age of 6, school is voluntary so you need to register earlier however, you may get in if there are spaces.

I love it here and the only downside for me is that after losing my job 18 months ago, I have not managed to find another one and also became a single parent at around the same time so, things are difficult financially. However, I'd rather be poor here than back in the UK. Just my opinion :wink:

Hope this helps and that all goes well with your move :D

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue May 22, 2012 1:56 pm

As Frolitas was coming to Spain in February 2012, I imagine it's all sorted out by now.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Tue May 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Chunky Monky wrote:As Frolitas was coming to Spain in February 2012, I imagine it's all sorted out by now.
Oooops!! :oops: :crazy: :oops:

So...........how's it going Frolitas??