Record fall in Spain retail sales

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Record fall in Spain retail sales

Postby anyroads » Tue May 29, 2012 10:56 am

Reported today:

"Sales fell 9.8% last month compared to the same month last year. The fall was worse than had been expected, and marked the 22nd consecutive month of declining sales.

Spanish shoppers are being discouraged by government austerity measures, rising taxes and Europe's highest rate of unemployment".

and then there are the banks !

anyroads

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Record fall in Spain retail sales

Postby katy » Tue May 29, 2012 2:51 pm

The Telegraph is giving it as 11.3% :lolno:

Read this morning that schools in Andalucia haven't had any payments from the junta this year. Some parents have been asked for donations.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue May 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Yes katy,

But that was the later edition of the Telegraph. Some of us get up early !

anyroads

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 pm

They seem to have plenty of money to spend on dodgy rides and rip-off side stalls at local ferias.
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 29, 2012 7:03 pm

anyroads wrote:Yes katy,

But that was the later edition of the Telegraph. Some of us get up early !

anyroads
Yes but look what happened when I got in early...I was accused of scarermongering when I brought the news that the airports was closing :mrgreen:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue May 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Take a walk around the new Malaga port and the shops are very quiet but the restaurants are packed.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Tue May 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Sad thing is, most of those airports should be closed.

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Which ones?

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed May 30, 2012 12:28 am

markwilding wrote:Which ones?
Not Malaga!
It was pretty busy on Saturday, besides I am fed up with people saying that we are all doomed...... some of us might be but a heck of a lot aren't so go out and spread the good news that there is life after bailout and fun is still possible :thumbup:
Ann

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed May 30, 2012 8:16 am

annfoto wrote: Not Malaga!
It was pretty busy on Saturday, besides I am fed up with people saying that we are all doomed...... some of us might be but a heck of a lot aren't so go out and spread the good news that there is life after bailout and fun is still possible :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Wed May 30, 2012 8:24 am

If anybody bothered to check the La Nogalera complex of bars and clubs in Torremolinos on a Friday and Saturday night,they would see that the weekly 2 to 3 thousand influx of young people from Malaga City have disappeared off the face of the earth.The place was dead
Three weeks ago it was deserted.I have not seen anything like it in the 8 years I have been going there.

Yes people are getting by, but young people are suffering right now and business in Torremolinos(which does,contrary to popular belief, depend on Spanish trade is suffering
Dying to move to spain

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed May 30, 2012 9:49 am

Yes country boy, a lot of people will be ok, but everyone will be poorer. Same as the UK I suppose, but at least the UK being outside the euro can make some decisions for the UK. Bailouts are not going to sort out anything. They have not in Portugal, Greece or Ireland.

"Spain’s housing bubble and subsequent bust lies at the heart of the nation’s financial crisis that could force it to join Ireland, Portugal and Greece in seeking an international bailout. Spanish home prices doubled in the decade up to 2008. They have now come down by 30%, but analysts warn of further declines. During the boom, housing accounted for one out of seven Spanish jobs compared to 1 out of 22 in the United States. Two million homes in Spain are vacant and more are coming onto the market. Twenty percent of residential mortgage holders are underwater and, unlike in the U.S., there is no incentive to walk away as defaulters remain liable"

anyroads

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed May 30, 2012 10:34 am

This crisis is "Doomsayers" heaven. I'm not saying that things aren't bad, it's plainly obvious that there is a disaster emerging from behind every government lie and things must get even worse, but...whinging about it doesn't solve anything, neither does stating the bleeding obvious. Try and be more cheerful people... who knows, you might even manage a smile :thumbup:

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Wed May 30, 2012 10:54 am

anyroads wrote:Reported today:

"Sales fell 9.8% last month compared to the same month last year. The fall was worse than had been expected, and marked the 22nd consecutive month of declining sales.

Spanish shoppers are being discouraged by government austerity measures, rising taxes and Europe's highest rate of unemployment".

and then there are the banks !

anyroads
Panic over.
All that happened is that my Missus lost her credit card last month, now she has a new one, spending will be back to normal !!!
Hardworking resident !!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed May 30, 2012 12:39 pm

" who knows, you might even manage a smile "

Laughing my way to the bank..

Trouble is they haven't got any money.

anyroads

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 pm

fincalospinos wrote:
Panic over.
All that happened is that my Missus lost her credit card last month, now she has a new one, spending will be back to normal !!!
I was inspired to do my bit for King and country so I bought a new blouse this morning! :D

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:18 pm

I often wonder if the press has made things far worse, there is nothing like a bad/stir things up story to get the press going. I have just been into the town, the shops were busy and the market is growing bigger every week, they have taken up more of the parking spaces! It was a big market before, it must have grown by 30% at least in the past few months. There were lots of folk with bulging shopping bags. I guess market stalls are not the same as shop owners though.
A few new shops have sprung up, mostly children's clothing and greengrocery shops. The kiddies clothes shops seem to be a mix of high priced clothing shops and the cheap ´wear for the summer´ clothing shops.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed May 30, 2012 3:24 pm

In my Spanish neck of the woods, you are falling over yourself with bread shops and greengrocers. As soon as one other type of shop closes, hey presto, a new bread shop or greengrocers opens. I can't see how any of them can make money.

anyroads

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed May 30, 2012 3:33 pm

In Pizarra it's Modas shops, they never last more than 6 months, heaven knows how much the stock must cost to set one up in the first place!

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Anyroads
Youre spot on about the looming chrisis in Spain,yes us Brits do whinge a bit, but its not the Brits I am worried about,
All those young people seem to have had their future put in serious jepoardy through no fault of there own,..... on my last visit to malaga City I got chatting to the well educated daughter of the appartment owner where i was staying, and she told me shes heading to London for work. and yes she did not want to go, but there was nothing for her in Malaga City apart from shop work(and there were hundreds of applicants for even this type of work)
What a waste!!! greedy investment "bankers" in London and New York,large scale corruption in Spanish Town Halls, and downright thieves have stolen the future for so many decent honorable young people in Spain , it makes my blood boil!!!!
i never forget thast when I was a young man living in London I used to flit from job to job without any problems, leaving jobs when i was bored or couldnt be bothered to turn up!
No such luxury or freedom for young workers in Spain
What a waste
Dying to move to spain