Wine

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Free at Last
Resident

Re: Wine

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:16 pm

gruff wrote:So forgive my ignorance but for the run of the mill cava semi seco... is seco with sweetener added ?
Have to admit the idea of adding a drop of cassis to seco is attractive.
The dry one isn't called seco actually, it's Cava Brut. I love it, and have tried Freixenet and Cordoniu including the Extra Reserva, but Mercadona sell one by Canals & Nubiola, priced under €3, which I like just as much.

The problem with cava is it's just too easy to drink, I can get through a whole bottle in no time at all!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

katy wrote:Whats up with the word F..R IGGY on this forum :?
You mean Fri­ggy?
Dave

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:32 pm

Maybe to do my bit for the economy, when I am out there late June, I will up my ante and perhaps buy a few bottles of Tio Pepe, instead of my 99c white wine, or a cheap local fino.

anyroads

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:02 pm

Free at Last wrote: Mercadona sell one by Canals & Nubiola, priced under €3, which I like just as much.

The problem with cava is it's just too easy to drink, I can get through a whole bottle in no time at all!
We like the Rosé version of that, only about 2.25€ I think but even my OH drinks it and he's not usually too keen on cava.

Viña Pati Rueda from Lidl is particularly fruity - latest batch I've bought is 2011, perhaps a good year? I'm sure it has gone down in price as it's only about 1.60€ a bottle now.

Reds we tend to be a bit fussier over. Our fave is Faustino VII for about 3.60€ from a wine shop in Nerja - it's the cheapest we have seen it.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Wicksey wrote:

Viña Pati Rueda from Lidl is particularly fruity - latest batch I've bought is 2011, perhaps a good year? I'm sure it has gone down in price as it's only about 1.60€ a bottle now.

Reds we tend to be a bit fussier over. Our fave is Faustino VII for about 3.60€ from a wine shop in Nerja - it's the cheapest we have seen it.
Yes, it's €1 cheaper than it was but it has also changed slightly. They now use a mix of grapes - Verdejo and Viura, it used to be Verdejo on its own at about €2.59. They also sell a Rueda "Visigodo" which is about €2.69 which is just Verdejo. I have tried blind tasting both of them and they are almost identical. If you look at the labels they both have the same logo (a tree with starts in it) so they obviously come from the same bodegas.

It's definitely the best value white Rueda by a mile. I know quite a few people who used to insist on drinking Marques de Riscal Rueda at €7 a bottle who now drink it. OK it's not quite so good but at that price it's unbeatable.

If you want a change from the Faustino Rioja try Lidl's Ribero del Duero called Hachon. There is a reserva and a crianza but the cheapest one at about €2.59 is pretty good.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:19 pm

El Cid wrote:
If you want a change from the Faustino Rioja try Lidl's Ribero del Duero called Hachon. There is a reserva and a crianza but the cheapest one at about €2.59 is pretty good.

Sid
Thanks - always good to have a recommendation so will give that a try. We sometimes try different reds but are often disappointed. We had a Vesprel Reserva (or possibly Grand Reserva, can't remember) from Lidl that was quite smooth and it was on offer too, so quite a good buy. It seems that you can get a good and cheap white here but the cheaper reds have tended to be a bit rough.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Wicksey wrote: Viña Pati Rueda from Lidl is particularly fruity - latest batch I've bought is 2011, perhaps a good year? I'm sure it has gone down in price as it's only about 1.60€ a bottle now.
It's lovely, just bought another case. :thumbup:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Wicksey wrote:
We like the Rosé version of that, only about 2.25€ I think but even my OH drinks it and he's not usually too keen on cava.

Maybe that is cheaper than the Canals & Nubiola Cava Brut for some reason - I had a look to check the price this morning as I couldn't remember exactly, and that is 2.79€. Still a real bargain IMO!

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:06 pm

I had forgotten about Rose... damn, where has the accent gone...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:15 pm

El Cid wrote: a tree with starts in it
Bet that makes you jump! Actually, I suppose the typo is for "stars", but it could be more exciting with "tarts" in the trees...jam or fishnet tights? :lol:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.