painting

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
carrowcrin
Resident

painting

Postby carrowcrin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:13 pm

I have a problem wirh a couple of shed doors in the uk.
The problem is the gloss paint is flaking off, i do not know if i did not do it properly in the first place and also what advise as to do as regards stripping and what to put on as regards primer/undercoat/gloss.
I might add that these doors are facing the sun in the summer and all the rain etc in winter.

Many thanks

Martin Page
Resident

Re: painting

Postby Martin Page » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Your on a hiding to nothing trying to paint a shed/door ...The wood has bee presure treated with a copper based, oil substuted, wood preservative( the modern equavalent to Creosote ) Conventional wood primers will not adhere to it for very long. As you have found out.
Even stripping it back to bare timber wont guarentee any primers will bond.
I suggest that you go to a proper paint stockest and ask them for a suitable primer or the best suggestion.
The trick is getting the first(primer) coat to adhere - once youve done that the rest is easy peasy

Or failing that - strip it and Cuprinol it

carrowcrin
Resident

Re: painting

Postby carrowcrin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for advise, unfortunately i did not get an easy solution but i will have to live with it. It sure will not be done today.

regards