Leish and progress in UK

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Re: Leish and progress in UK

Postby Lyric » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:42 pm

That's very sad, you seem to have done more than can be reasonably expected and still lost. I feel very sorry for your loss.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:36 pm

I feel for you.

I have been there twice - not nice.
Maybe someday someone will find a cure.
Ann

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 am

So sorry to hear that TJ.

Our wee man had the injections and pills three months ago and he was lucky. All his ulcers disappeared. In three months time he will get another test to see if his leish levels have gone done.

However, he now has a large cancerous growth on his side which appeared vey quickly. Chemotherapy starts today and , apparently, it won't make him feel I'll like it does in humans. Reports are that this particular type of tumour respond well to treatment and, once shrunk, can be removed surgically. However, combine that with the battle with leish, we are trying not to hold out too much hope. Will keep trying but if he starts suffering we will have a hard decision to make.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 pm

So sorry to hear that Steve....I wish you all the best.
And it IS hard........someone said to me, was I keeping her alive for me....or for her? I knew the answer, and although I genuinely believe she wasn't actually in pain as such, her quality of life was going rapidly downhill so I knew what I had to do. I collect her ashes tomorrow and will buy a special shrub and bury 'her' underneath it. She will always then be with the family who loved her....
As another good friend said, we only borrow them for a short while........ :shock: :cry:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Sorry to say that we had to have our wee dog put to sleep today. The tumour was very aggressive. It had developed into his chest cavity and, although his lungs were clear, it was pressing on his trachea, causing breathing difficulties. It was only going to get worse. It is a dreadful decision to have to make but their was no other option to prevent him suffering. It's a sad house tonight.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that steve....you're right, it is so so sad.......I am still trying to have my first day without tears....(12 days on)..I ALMOST got there yesterday but not quite. At least we know there are no more injections, treatments, suffering...which they put up with because they love and trust us. Ultimately (as a friend of mine said) it is the last truly loving thing we can do for them.......
(There...I'm off again now.....)
Sleep well, the best and most unconditionally loving friends we will ever have :(
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:56 pm

So sorry to hear about your 'wee one' Steve.

I can still vividly remember when I had to arrange for OHs GSD to be put to sleep (he couldn't bring himself to do it and went out for the morning). The female GSD's back legs had 'gone' (well she was 17 1/2), but she also had a large external tumour on her chest. Half an hour before the vet was due, GSD started haemorraging from the tumour..... very distressing for both of us (dog & me). Thankfully it was soon over.

We put her ashes under a bench in a corner of the garden where she liked to lie

We'll probably never have another dog, as we travel so much now, and neither of us are in brilliant health...
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:41 pm

So sorry Steve.

I lost Chispa, my little friend and soulmate to Leishmania last year. We buried her under a Pecan tree beside one of her sons's who died of the same disease 6 years earlier.

You sort of know when it's time, you just sort of look each other in the eye and you know.

We visit her grave most days, I don't cry anymore, I just reminisce the good days.

We went to Leyroy's last week and bought a bench to replace the two upside-down orange crates that we sat on when we visited her.
Ann