Almunecar International school

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
dido72
Resident

Almunecar International school

Postby dido72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Does anyone know anything about this school?

My children go to state school near Antequera but my oldest's grades have started slipping a bit this year (she is 10) from being close to the top of the class. I am led to believe that my school in particular doesn't really push the children to do the best they can so i have been looking into International and private schools for her (and my boys) by the time she goes to high school in 2 years. After speaking to other parents and children who went to Spanish school they all say pretty much the same things, no motivation, don't encourage ambition etc.

As things stand at the moment we probably couldn't afford it but we are ever hopeful and will do what it takes to give them the best education we can.

I have been looking at all the international schools but the Almunecar one is in the area we would most like to move to (move back to), obviously if the school is no good we would have to think again.

Just starting my research 2 years in advance and would love your opinions on the school and the area (Sid are you still down that way?)

Diana

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Almunecar International school

Postby El Cid » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:23 pm

dido72 wrote: Just starting my research 2 years in advance and would love your opinions on the school and the area (Sid are you still down that way?)Diana
Yes I am but most of my contacts have passed the point of educating their kids.

As far as I know it is still there and I certainly haven't heard any negative reports.

Sid

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks Sid, what about the area, we used to live in Frigiliana but don't know Almunecar/La Herradura at all, is it a good place to live?

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 am

Hi Dido,
I've just signed number 2 son up for 2 years to take his A levels.
He did a "listening day" in June and he loved it.
The school provide a bus collection and delivery service to Frigiliana where I live and a very nice menu.
He will have 15 students in his class from September.
It is pricey though but I think that is the way with private education.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Our friends put their son through the school and he's now at university in Granada, so I guess they are happy with it. A relation of mine taught there, but it was several years ago, and she said the turnover of teachers was very high, no idea what it's like now.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:27 pm

Thanks guys good to know, I have heard that too Frank about the high turnover of teachers, would be interesting to know what the situation is now.

Hiker am I looking at approx 5k per year per child?

Thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:15 pm

dido72 wrote:Thanks Sid, what about the area, we used to live in Frigiliana but don't know Almunecar/La Herradura at all, is it a good place to live?

In think it's one of the best areas on the whole of the coast but I would say that wouldn't I? :thumbup:

Much more Spanish than the Nerja area and nowhere near as busy apart from mid July to the end of August. Most of the year you can park on the beach outside the restaurant/shop of your choice. Almunecar is a little busier but even then there is always somewhere to park.

There is even a 6 day a week covered food market in La Herradura and a huge one in Almunecar - Nerja doesn't even have one.

Sid

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:26 am

dido, its closer to €10K per year per child....
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

blueeyes
Tourist

Postby blueeyes » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Our son was at AIS for 7 years now just finished first year at uni in Granada had a place for uni in the uk his choice to stay in Spain. The staff at AIS are second to none the fees are no where near 10000 euros up til A levels best get in touch with the school . As always there was a change over in staff but that is normal including the UK!!!

littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby littleeak » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:51 pm

From a parent's view I cannot fault the standard of education my son received at AIS. He was there for 8 years & achieved excellent grades in both GCSE & 'A' level exams, as well as the ability to speak fluent Spanish.

As for fees they start at about 5000 euros per year for Early Years, increasing as you progress up the school. Year 13 fees are around 8500 euros.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks everyone good to hear some good reports as I have heard some bad ones so I guess I would have to check it out for myself when the time comes.

Sid it sounds fab, we used to live in Frigiliana which was heavenly but not all that keen on Nerja, your area sounds really good. Some friends in Nerja said lots of Brits have just moved to Nerja from Almunecar area as they didn't like it!! Not sure who these people are or why they don't like it but as I don't have many sheep like tendancies I shall again form my own opinions!

Now how can I earn an extra 15k € a year?? ;)

pippa1964

Postby pippa1964 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 am

hello,we are moving to Torrox this summer and im hoping that my 8 year old daughter will be able to go to the AIS. Would appreciate anyones opinions on the school so that we,re more prepared when the time comes! i have thought of sending her go to a state school but would feel a bit mean throwing her in at the deep end straightaway. If for any reason she cant go to the AIS,are there any other international schools in Torrox area? thank you
Pippa

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 pm

There's one in Anoreta, near Rincon de la Victoria, called Novaschool or Novasoft and there's St Georges in Malaga. I think Anoreta follows the Spanish curriculum and St Georges the English system.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 pm

What's the matter with sending children to a local school?
Dave

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 am

Mowser wrote:What's the matter with sending children to a local school?
Nothing, if that's what you want. The poster explained she doesn't fancy throwing her daughter in the deep end, friends of ours felt exactly the same. They moved out when their son was 11 and was at AIS until he was 16 or 17. There are lots of Spanish in the school, keen to be fluent in English as well as Spanish. Our son's friend used to play with the Spanish, stay in Almuñecar with Spanish friends, play in the town band (the only Brit ever) and is now in university in Granada and studying at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Granada at the same time. Going to AIS certainly doesn't mean you won't be exposed to Spanish language or culture, you couldn't be more "Spanish" than this lad is. For them it's been the best of both worlds.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I see your point Frank. Personally speaking I would rather send my kid to a local school and if they are having problems with certain areas of the curriculum, it would be cheaper to find a tutor. €10,000 pa seems a lot to spend.
Dave

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am

I also preferred to send my son to a local school.I wanted him to have a higher academic level in Spanish.There is more choice than just State and international ones and he went to a private Spanish one, which are not nearly as expensive as one of the International schools, around 170 euros per month but they do push the students more.

Obviously this has meant that his English isn't as good as his Spanish but we always had the idea that he would spend some time in the UK to help catch up. At the moment he studies at university and had the option of having quite a lot classes in English, which he has taken up.

I always find it very strange they way the marks are graded in Spain because it's always down to the teacher to set the exams even in the two years before they go to University, meaning it's very subjective, This means that it's possible for students with a lower academic level to appear to achieve higher marks.So you really need to be careful regarding your children's marks because it it isn't so clear cut which school is the best. You only find out when they do the final Selectividad.

This is something that really needs to be thought through because if he is going to stay in Spain he will need to be able to compete well with the locals in the workplace, as we all know it's quite difficult to find employment in Spain.

GaryP
Tourist

Postby GaryP » Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 am

Hello all, I am a newbie to the forum!
Living in Nerja at the moment and I know a few parents with kids going to the school. Good reports generally, especially with the new Headteacher coming in the last year.
Having a look at the school website they have now published their fees (under 'admissions')! They range from 5.645 € for primary children, middle years 7.815 €, and up to 9.250 € for the big ones...

I do know of a number of expat children who have struggled to integrate in Spanish schools, it isnt an easy thing, especially for young teen girls-- but sometimes needs must. Pays your money (or not) and takes your choice I guess!