TV Aerial for Spanish Channels

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
telboy
Resident

TV Aerial for Spanish Channels

Postby telboy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:07 pm

We are in the campo, I have one of these aerials - High Gain TV Aerial: Televes DAT HD - for my Spanish Channels, the aerial is pointing towards Granada/Montefrio 60Km away.

Whenever we get rain (heavy or not) our picture pixilates and the sound is broken up. As I change channel, the previous channel is still trying to load up. This happens to all the channels, we have about 30 in all. The reception is excellent during good weather and even in heavy cloud.

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

satandpcguy
Resident

Re: TV Aerial for Spanish Channels

Postby satandpcguy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Are you using a masthead amplifier and power supply?
If not get one!

Or your aerial is not 100% aligned to the best signal.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:34 pm

60km is a long way. When TDT first started there were only a few antennas transmitting. Since then they have installed many repeaters locally.

Originally we had a similar distance and then they put in a repeater a mile away.

Check where other people have pointed their antennas.

Sid

telboy
Resident

Postby telboy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Our neighbours have antennas pointing in the same direction as ours, however one of our neighbours has a 'masthead amplifier' as satandpcguy mentioned.

I have an amplifier box (not a masthead) which has a power supply, it has this info on the box

AXIL AM-348
UHF/VHF/FM AMPLIFICADOR
40-862MHz
GANANCIA 25db
230V - 50Hz 2.8W

If I connect the cables through this box it makes no difference, the reception is no better, why would a masthead amplifier be any different to this.

El Cid - I can only assume the transmitter is in Granada city, whether there is 'repeater' in between and in the same direction I dont know. Do you know whether there is documentation somewhere stating where these repeaters are for your area?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:13 pm

My Spanish TV didn't work and I went to the local Town hall, they came and fitted a red type box behind us up the on a wall and we point of Ariel to that, works ok now, so maybe you need to ask there or a ask a neighbour what there TV reception is like.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 pm

the idea behind an amplifier is that it goes as close to the aerial as possible to amplify the signal when it is at its best and sends the strongets signal around the system.

there is no point having an amplifer (like the AXIL AM-348) at a place in the system where the signal is low - it is not ideal in trying to increase the strength of a signal for a signal which is not there!

(in the same way poeple think putting a "booster" on their satellite cable to help increase the signal - it cannot magically make sigans appear that your dish is unable to receive in the first place!)

hence a "masthead amplifer" goes in the system as close to the aerial as possible.
A seperate power supply / unit is connect to the system (from inside the house) to provide power to the amplifer.

The local town hall will have details as to where the nearest mast / repeat is...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it