Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
Zofia
Resident

Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby Zofia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:22 pm

Just wondering if anyone has been affected by the Astra 2F satellite thing yet? I'm hearing so many conflicting reports that it's happened already, that it's about to happen,that it is in the process and being fine-tuned, that it's been postponed.

What alternative is there? Larger dishes(difficult in built-up areas)? Internet streaming (impossible with satellite internet)?

We are still ok, I wake up with great trepidation every morning an switch the telly on - apparently it will happen at 5 am on the day - again no one knows which day but probably within the next 48 hours....

We are dooooooooooomed! Doooooooooomed I tell you (said in best Dads Army voice).

Zofia
Finally really and properly living in Andalucia.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:35 pm

The only channel on the new satellite is a test channel that you cannot normally receive without adding it manually.

None of the existing channels have been moved yet and it is not clear when the move will take place - it could be at any point from now on.

Initial reception reports from people who have tuned into the test channel indicate that reception in the South of Spain could be badly affected to the extent where a bigger dish would be required.

No doubt our resident expert, Satandpcguy will keep us all informed.

Sid

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Some of the informaiton you need is in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29677

Only one frequency - carrying TWO bbc hd "test" channels have moved to the new satellite.

All other 100plus frequencies, and 500plus UK TV channels on the other 4 satllite have not yet moved, so reception will not have changed, and will be the same as it was yesterday, last weeks, last month....

When the moved happens (expected but not confirmed to be early tomorrow am) you will know.
You not lose ALL chanenls.
But depending exactly where you are, and what size dish you have you my lose the main BBC ITV C4 and Fives, but most of the other chanenls, and most of the Sky channels will be fine.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:42 pm

would ITV + 1 for instance be classed as a main channel or a SKY channel? Sky news will probably be OK do you think?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:02 pm

But depending exactly where you are, and what size dish you have you my lose the main BBC ITV C4 and Fives, but most of the other chanenls, and most of the Sky channels will be fine.
I tend to only watch the main channels :( Kids would be ok as they watch all the crap kids' channels, and OH tends to mostly watch Sky Sports and things like CBS and UK Gold.

Will the + channels go, like DA has asked?

Zofia

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Expect ALL BBC ITV C4 Five channels that are currently on Astra 1N to move to 2F.
As ITV1+1 is an ITV channel then expect this to go also.
Channels operated by BBC ITV C4 and Fives are nothing to do with Sky and are not Sky channels.
So yes, I would expect ITV1+1, ITV2+1, itv3+1 ITV4+1, C4+1, E4+1, M4+1 to have the same reception is the non timeshift channels, seing as these channels are on 1N.

The change of channels from 1N to 2F may also affect reception of Disney and Nick channels also, since they are currently on 1N.

Sky News: it is not on 1N, so wil not be affected by this move of channels from 1n to 2F.
Last edited by satandpcguy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:34 pm

I await with interest to hear from various people in various areas over the next day or so then....... I'll have to wait until April to find out if I still have to suffer Corrie whilst on my jollies :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:52 pm

When the moved happens (expected but not confirmed to be early tomorrow am) you will know
Where does this info come from ?

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Where does this info come from ?
From what I gather all the info comes from various suppliers/techies. There is no official line on this as 'officially' none of us are supposed to have have Sky/BBC channels on the continent. Not sure how Sky will explain the huge drop in customers if it does happen...

Zofia

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Lyric wrote:Where does this info come from ?
The dates of "between the 23rd and 26th" have been banded around for a few weeks now from several places.

The only thing official we have is from ses astra who say "the satellite is now operational".
So it can basically happen anytime...
Zofia wrote:Not sure how Sky will explain the huge drop in customers if it does happen...
It could be that Sky subscriptions actually increase if bbc and itv are lost.
then at elast people will have some "popular" channels to watch.
and especially as most BBC content is repeated after only a few months on channels like Dave watch Really etc.

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 pm

From what I've heard we will lost most Sky channels too - only a few of the rubbish ones may stay - some of the shopping ones, God ones, music ones...

We shall see. Maybe I should set my alarm for 5 am (the supposed time it happens)....

Zofia

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:38 pm

I am somewhat amused at the trepidation with which the ex-pat community views losing some satellite channels.
As a non TV addict, I really don't care.
My OH might care a tiny bit more than me, but when we came to Spain we had analogue satellite TV which is much of the reason I'd be more annoyed to lose the Internet than sat tv.
Each to their own - enjoy!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Zofia wrote:From what I've heard we will lost most Sky channels too - only a few of the rubbish ones may stay - some of the shopping ones, God ones, music ones...

We shall see. Maybe I should set my alarm for 5 am (the supposed time it happens)....

Zofia
As as been pointed out already, the only channels affected are the FTA channels from BBC, ITV, C4 C5 etc.

Almost all of the Sky channels are unaffected.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:53 pm

satandpcguy wrote:
It could be that Sky subscriptions actually increase if bbc and itv are lost.
then at elast people will have some "popular" channels to watch.
and especially as most BBC content is repeated after only a few months on channels like Dave watch Really etc.
I think that is very true.

Also it will be interesting to see if the take-up of UK TV via offerings from the phone companies (Teletec for example) increase.

Has anyone had experience of these?

Also there are more and more companies offering illegal "card sharing" access to Sky channels at a much reduced rate - albeit from a new purchased receiver rather than an existing box.

More people will also be looking at the various forms of Internet access to UK TV.

I am sure there is now a huge business opportunity for installers of large satellite dishes!

Interesting times from a technology point of view!

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:40 pm

So the only channels that we are going to lose is the ones that have some reasonable programme's & all that will be left is a load of old tat ! Sounds about right !
Todos somos Lorca.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:27 am

I really don't know how I will get through the winter months if I lose the main BBC and ITV TV channels. During the cold months I watch alot of TV after all it's not likely I will want to sit out on the terrace during the evenings as I do in the Spring and Summer.

I think some clever person should produce a Humax -type freeview+ with a removable hard drive, then my daughter in UK can record all my favorites and send it out to me to watch monthly in arrears. How sad am I? (Don't bother telling me.)

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:05 am

Laslomas wrote:I think some clever person should produce a Humax -type freeview+ with a removable hard drive, then my daughter in UK can record all my favorites and send it out to me to watch monthly in arrears. How sad am I? (Don't bother telling me.)
Or record them onto a USB stick for you - smaller and safer than a hard drive!
Or download from a site like thebox.bz?

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:17 am

8.15 am Monday 26th Nov. All channels still working fine for me. Maybe it's a bit early in the day?
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 am

same here , so no change overnight.
in the past astra have moved channels from satellite to satellite in the early hours of the morning, to make sure there is no disruption to daytime viewing...but you never know...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:13 am

I tried tuning in the new satellite on my Humax but it wouldn't even lock on so it's not looking good. I have the "normal" 1.3m dish down on the coast.

Sid