Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Information and help in the IT field of computers, internet, ISP's, mobile and fixed line telephones plus satellite TV systems.
satandpcguy
Resident

Re: Has anyone actually lost their TV signal yet?

Postby satandpcguy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:11 pm

There was a German man, who lived in Brazil, and to get his German TV from Astra, built his own 8 meter dish...he could just get the signals on it.
And used the concrete mold for the dish as... a swimming pool...
(google Klaus Schumacher dish - the youtube videos of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_a5MYlR_cU - its in german!)

And when BBC and ITVs were on 2Ds, and you were able to get them on 1.25m dishes, in the CB we needed 1.8m and 2.4m dishes....

and in Greece and Cyprus 4m dishes and they dont get their signals anymore - so are turning to rebroadcasters and internet.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:24 pm

A great thread this one........bit like a soap...........loads of facts (thanks satandpcguy..by the way you never contribute to the PC stuff?)........loads of humour... :D and some serious faces too :o

At the end of the day its only TV............... 8)

For research have downloaded a BBC program with iPlayer...........40 mins on 2Mbps link..... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:31 pm

All the sky sports channels are free to watch here.
http://www.time4tv.com/2012/10/sky-sports-1.html
Dave

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:04 pm

ajtg1952 wrote:As I said previously on this thread the majority of Freeview users in Spain don't know this is happening. I have a good friend who totally disbelieves that he may lose BBC etc. later this year.
I suppose that you mean Freesat. Confusion between the two is the cause of a lot of orders from Amazon being sent back. (Ordered wrong item) :roll:
:lol:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Mowser wrote:All the sky sports channels are free to watch here.
It seems to ask for a mobile number. From past experience that can be very expensive.

Sid

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:24 pm

great idea for swimming pool-who needs tv when we have this forum :clap: cant wait to see the line up on here for christmas day!! turkey will have to wait lol

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:43 am

El Cid wrote:
Mowser wrote:All the sky sports channels are free to watch here.
It seems to ask for a mobile number. From past experience that can be very expensive.

Sid
I haven't been asked so far.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:51 am

Mowser wrote:
I haven't been asked so far.
Well it's asking me for a number every time.

Can someone else try it it see if they get the same?

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 am

I still find the continued total lack of mention of this in the "Brit press" very strange.
Scanning Costa del Sol News, Sur in English and Euro Weekly today there is not a word about the subject - just an almost total lack of the usual advertising for installations etc!
CDS News will have to consider what they must do about their separate TV Guide supplement which will become redundant, and their soaps guide still mentions the forthcoming happenings in Neighbours - on Channel 5 I believe.
They must collectively realise there is something going on, unless their advertising departments do not talk to the news people?
As I say, very strange!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Aunty Val
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Aunty Val » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 am

Yes it does ask for a telephone number. Not sure I want to give it to "unknown" sources.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:58 am

If this is true I'll be cancelling my sky sports subscription tomorrow :shock:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 am

peteroldracer wrote:I still find the continued total lack of mention of this in the "Brit press" very strange.
Long, typically misinformed article in The News (5/12/2012), confusingly titled "Satellite TV: not free to anything anymore" We are going to lose BBC channels on the 16th of this month. It's true, I read it in the paper. :?

Quote: One reader said: "You can't sell your house here, and now I won't even be able to watch bloody Corrie!"

See, I told you so! :lol:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:33 am

Sid. I've clicked it again and am currently watching the cricket. Maybe it will ask for a number if it's been on a while. So far I haven't been asked for a number. Here's a link again.

Dave

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:48 am

It seems to ask for a phone number if you want to register with them, but that isn't necessary. Maybe it will be after a few days.

What's more worrying is Mowser watchin cricket!
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:04 am

Campo Steve wrote:It seems to ask for a phone number if you want to register with them, but that isn't necessary. Maybe it will be after a few days.

What's more worrying is Mowser watchin cricket!
I simply clicked to see if it wanted a phone number.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 am

Strange - it's working now. Possibly because last time I tried I gave it a dummy number, which it rejected. Maybe it only asks once.

Sid

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:22 am

Man U v Man City tomorrow then.
Dave

satandpcguy
Resident

Postby satandpcguy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:19 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I still find the continued total lack of mention of this in the "Brit press" very strange.
Scanning Costa del Sol News, Sur in English and Euro Weekly today there is not a word about the subject - just an almost total lack of the usual advertising for installations etc!
CDS News will have to consider what they must do about their separate TV Guide supplement which will become redundant, and their soaps guide still mentions the forthcoming happenings in Neighbours - on Channel 5 I believe.
They must collectively realise there is something going on, unless their advertising departments do not talk to the news people?
As I say, very strange!
Just beacuase people need a much larger dish for their free tv will not mean that papers will no longer have to print tv listings.

We have had 2.4 and 3m dishes for many years here - so the only issue is "its too big" - but people have prefered free tv via a big dish and lived with the "jodrell bank" in the garden.

Installers should, with the clients, discuss the best place for dishes, and try to "hide" it as best as possible.
True in some cases that have to be installed in full view of everything, but thats the price to pay for free tv.

The satellite change over has been known about for well over a year now, so it is not new. It has been mentioned in a few papers up here - and when questions have been asked to some installers, they have replied "nothing is changing" - simply to "get the deal done". Perhaps this is why news has not been so forthcoming in your area - not enough "reliable / honest " installers.

And, like mentioned, it could be the start of a push for lower quality rebroadcsating ysstem to reappear agin, or for the telecos to start to puch their iptv - where you will end up paying 20-30 euros per month for channels that are of hight picture quality and free direct from the satellite....so perhaps after 3 years of paying for one of these systems you will have spent what a new "big dish" will cost...something to consider...
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Just tried to see if Filmon would come up on the internet section of the Wii. Although other pages loaded OK, filmon just gave me a blank screen.

Apple TV looking more likely.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Mowser wrote:Sid. I've clicked it again and am currently watching the cricket. Maybe it will ask for a number if it's been on a while. So far I haven't been asked for a number. Here's a link again.

I just had a look - if you click on any of the "play now" buttons, it seems to open a new window asking for a phone number in order to download, play, login, whatever. Looks to me like just some form of data capture, which unless you want to be bombarded with propaganda phone calls or worse, I would avoid.
The play now, download now etc buttons are actually ads, which if you look closely have a red x or similar to close them. Once closed, you should have unimpeded viewing of the channel. Seems to good to be true, so probably is; make the most of it while it lasts!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.