Gentlemen, please get checked

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Gentlemen, please get checked

Postby katy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Gallstone is still there as I'm too scared to have an op. and will only do so when/if I get more trouble with it, it's not too bad re. discomfort and I don't worry about it now I know what it is and my imagination is back in the box.

Irene, I would recommend getting it done ASAP. Runs in my family and when the stones move or cause a blockage they say it is agony, the worse pain ever! My Daughter had them, she didn't know but had recently had some heartburn. On evening after dinner she took violently ill and the ambulance was called. They operated 3 weeks later and she was just a day patient. Just a little discomfort for a few days.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Right, Mrs has just had a re read of the rules with this thing.....I may have been doing it wrong :oops:

Seems like when the pressure starts building up I'm moving all over the place and wriggling around in discomfort.

She reckons I put it on too tight as well.........and hold my breath :roll: ...........plus I don't sit down for a minute or two before I take it.

Just done 3 more following her grumpy advice and for the first time since I bought it I got 3 readings back to back similar......hard work this.

Anyway batteries are bug5ered now so a walk to the shop for some more is where I'm off now.

Nimmy, how far past that bone that sticks out on your wrist do you put yours please?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm

DA
D'ya mean you've got a bone sticking out of your wrist?

Only kidding. :)

about 1/2 inch

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks very much for the advice, Katy, I am keeping my eye on my gallstone (well, sort of lol). I am 'lucky' in as much as I just have one large stone, too big to block the bile duct. My last scan was about 14 months ago (when we lived mainly in our caravan!!!) and I asked my doc.to refer me to a consultant so I could get some advice. The consultant said I was fine to leave it, just to keep getting annual scans and the worst thing that might happen would be that I could get an infection there, in which case I'd need antibiotics to sort that and then I WOULD need to have the gall bladder - and stone - out. Yes, I've heard the pain is really bad if the stone(s)move into the duct, I'm glad your daughter is OK now.

When I go to Clinica Rincon for my blood tests for my thyroid function, I plan to suss out price of another scan on my gall bladder, to see what's going on down there :thumbup:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks Nimmy. Batteries don't last long on these do they :| ...........booklet said 300 goes when I put the batteries in after purchase on Friday............I've only done about 200 tests and it was getting a bit sluggish blowing the band up. New batts in now :D

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:44 pm

If any 'locals' are interested, I got my wrist monitor from Eroski - it's a Medisana and I think it was about 35 euros, if I'm remembering right. And I haven't changed the batteries yet and have used it hundreds of times I reckon :D

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:49 pm

IreneD wrote: And I haven't changed the batteries yet and have used it hundreds of times I reckon :D
That's pobably why it reads zero :mrgreen:

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:57 pm

That's probably why it reads zero
Que? I'm sure I'm being thick but I don't know what you are on about :D It reads zero before it inflates :think:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Devils Advocate wrote: .I've only done about 200 tests and it was getting a bit sluggish blowing the band up.
200!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm

El Cid wrote: I have to keep mine low and it's normally 105/60 with a pulse of 55.

Sid
Sid, I expect that A.com forum is a great help in keeping your blood pressure figures where you want them!
:wink:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 am

Irene, re the gall stone - my sister had some gallstones which gave her pancreatitis, which then became necrotising pancreatitis (the cells gradually die off). She was admitted to hospital in October, and was in intensive care for a couple of months. She has lost all her pancreas, so is now diabetic and also needs to take enzyme supplements. She is still in hospital and just starting to eat real food (as opposed to 'pre-digested' stuff thro a tube), and is having physio to help her walk again. She doesn't know when she will be discharged, but it isn't looking like anytime soon.

So just be very careful with your gallstone, and at the first sign of trouble get to a hospital fast :thumbup:

PS I don't mind if you want to mention my cancer stuff - I'm fine with it, especially as (touch wood) I've been very lucky as it's been 3 years clear so far :thumbup: :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:18 am

Made up to hear that Chrissie :thumbup:

Your advice is sound too.

Haven't managed to do a BP test today as the machine is nowhere to be found, I'm sure OHs taken it to work with her. I tried calling but she's in meetings, I've got withdrawel symptoms now without the sound of creaking velcro :cry:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 pm

:lol: :lol: good for her. When I have time I may tell you about hiding OH's shears and chainsaw.Though It'll have to be in amigos!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Lol DA - your wife must have the patience of a saint! Yes, I'm made up for Chrissie, too - she's had 2 bouts of cancer over the years, both very serious involving complex surgery and chemo with all the side effects that brings. She is so matter-of-fact about it, though, that's what I admire so much, being a bit of a wuss myself.

Chrissie, your poor sister, what a dreadful time she's had and still not well.......I'm so sorry to hear this. With Katy's advice as well, I will get another scan and talk things through again with a doctor, maybe I should just get my gall bladder removed :(

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Hmmm she's home "It must have fallen into my bag, honest gov" :evil:

Taken me 25 bleedin' go's to get back to normal after the stress it caused :thumbdown:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:Hmmm she's home "It must have fallen into my bag, honest gov" :evil:

Taken me 25 bleedin' go's to get back to normal after the stress it caused :thumbdown:
If you are getting so many high readings then you probably need to arrange for a 24 hour test. The doctor will give you a little box and a arm cuff and you connect that up for 24 hours. It takes readings every 20 minutes irrespective of what you are doing and when you return it they can produce a 24 hour print out of exactly what is happening to you BP. It is the only way of getting an accurate picture of you BP.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Cheers Sid.........now I've got used to it I don't panic as I did at first, so the big readings are completely gone. All readings are within what he told me he wanted to see...........but just little changes in how you sit for the test.......and even how you breathe seem to affect it by 10 points.....maybe I'm still not using the bug5er properly :roll:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 pm

As I said earlier, the wrist units are not as consistent as the arm units.

Even then the readings over a few 2 minute readings will vary by up to 5 units.

I take a dozen or so readings every 2 minutes and discard the early high readings or the very low readings and take the average of the rest.

Don't get paranoid about it, it's only an indication.

Make sure your cholesterol levels are low - if not you could be heading for furred up arteries and that is a problem.

Sid

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm

Cholesterol was ok I think......3.6 he said. That was a worry too.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:00 pm

There are three cholesterol readings.

Total cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol and LDL Cholesterol.

The most important one is the "bad" LDL Cholesterol which should be below 3.

If you have other risk factors such as smoking, high BP, family history of heart disease, overweight, diabetes, stress etc then the cholesterol level recommended would be lower.

Sid