Shopping in UK o Spain

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Julie
Andalucia Guru

Shopping in UK o Spain

Postby Julie » Sat May 11, 2013 9:59 pm

This is from our local spanish paper

http://elnorthern.com/2013/05/11/compra ... que-en-uk/
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

pete_l
Resident

Re: Shopping in UK o Spain

Postby pete_l » Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 pm

From the article:
el precio del carro de muestra es de 61,97€ en España por los 58,77€ en UK
The only surprise is that the difference is so small. ISTM I spend much more in spanish supermarkets than I ever did in England,

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat May 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Interesting that it is written by a Spaniard living in UK, but I expect we'll get the usual one's rubbishing the report and telling us everything is cheap as chips in Spain. :lolno: Thanks for the link, I read a few blogs, forums of Spaniards living in UK, I find it interesting to read their take on UK. Trouble is I'll have to read all his previous offerings now, and there's a lot! :thumbup:
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

biribiri
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby biribiri » Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Something wrong there somewhere. Is chicken really €6.45 per kg in Eroski? It's €1.99 in our local butchers. :shh:

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Postby Julie » Sun May 12, 2013 2:23 am

http://www.compraonline.grupoeroski.com ... es-y-aves/

Its showing 6.92 euros for chicken wings
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun May 12, 2013 6:55 am

Food for thought! :lol: Meat in this area IS certainly more expensive than in the supermarkets in the UK. However, here it's all raised, sourced, killed and sold locally so you know what you are eating. Chicken from China (have you seen THAT video on YouTube) and pigs from Poland mixed with horsemeat and sold cheaply doesn't really compete in my opinion. Expensive food in Spain? No problem as you get what you pay for.

Now if someone mentions the price of electricity - then we're talking like for like ...

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sun May 12, 2013 9:18 am

Julie wrote:http://www.compraonline.grupoeroski.com ... es-y-aves/

Its showing 6.92 euros for chicken wings

Eroski's is the dearest place going ! Plus prices vary enormously from shop to shop for the same items.
Nightmare shopping in it as you are never certain that you are not being tucked up. :thumbdown:
Todos somos Lorca.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun May 12, 2013 10:19 am

At least in Eroski if the price at the checkout is higher than that on the shelf label, you get the goods for free plus they pay you the value of the shelf price...we have had a fair bit of free food then been paid to take it away, using their conditions.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

johnr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby johnr » Sun May 12, 2013 11:05 am

I don't think Eroski is a fair comparison with Asda, store-wise. There are certainly cheaper supermarkets in Spain, and there are more expensive supermarkets in the UK. To be of any worth this article would need to do a much broader review of stores.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 am

frank wrote:Interesting that it is written by a Spaniard living in UK, but I expect we'll get the usual one's rubbishing the report and telling us everything is cheap as chips in Spain. :lolno:
I have been on this forum for 9 years and have been waiting for someone just once, to say that Spain is more expensive than the UK but they prefer living there :lol: But no, everything has to be cheaper and amazingly wonderful quality :crazy: Same excuses, wrong shop, wrong day etc. etc. :mrgreen:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 12, 2013 11:38 am

frank wrote:Interesting that it is written by a Spaniard living in UK, but I expect we'll get the usual one's rubbishing the report and telling us everything is cheap as chips in Spain. :lolno: Thanks for the link, I read a few blogs, forums of Spaniards living in UK, I find it interesting to read their take on UK. Trouble is I'll have to read all his previous offerings now, and there's a lot! :thumbup:
Frank,
I disagree with most of what you write. If you want to call it rubbishing,That's fine but i prefer to call it "having a different opinion.To say that the prices have risen in real terms much faster than the UK can also be rubbished (As you put it) up to a point because it might also be true that the price of food has gone up faster here than there but other factors should really be taken into acount.

I do agree though that prices have risen quite a lot in Spain over the years I've lived here,which is to be expected. However,suppose we did the same comparison at the exchange rate of 5 years ago then quite clearly the result would be completely different. In real terms the increase to someone living and earning in Spain isn't so sharp as someone who buys Spanish products in Pounds.

BTW,
I paid 8.49 per kilo for thinly sliced filleted chicken breast from Eroski.I've just checked Sainsbury's £11.39
Last edited by markwilding on Sun May 12, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 am

In all honesty Mark I think we can leave the exchange rate out of it. Spain was a LOT cheaper than the UK a short time ago..........it's NOT now.

We used to come out of Eroski on the "first big shop" en route from the Airport and for 100e we'd be chuckling and gloating how much was in the bags..Langustines,legs of lamb,all the drinks,wine,beers and tons more.............it made Tesco look stupidly priced.

That has changed, last Eroski shop was over 200e and I feel we bought nothing like as much as we used to buy.

Tesco/Asda now look cheap in comparison.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 12, 2013 11:46 am

.....and suppose the survey was done when the Xchange rate was 1.09 :shock: :lol:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 12, 2013 11:57 am

katy wrote:.....and suppose the survey was done when the Xchange rate was 1.09 :shock: :lol:
Then Eroski would have been even more expensive for someone buying in pounds. What's your point?

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun May 12, 2013 12:00 pm

I take my hit on the euro exchange rate at the travel agents where I swap them :? Once I'm in Spain a 100e is a 100e whether 10 years ago or now...........and prices over there have soared whilst UK supermarket prices have dropped, not a question. I don't understand why that has happened though in reality....can anyone shed any light on the reason?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 12, 2013 12:12 pm

You might be right for all I know, I was reacting to Frank's post.
People here tell me that Eroski is more expensive than Carrefour I've also been told that Mercadona is even cheaper.To be quite honest I've no idea if that's correct.
I tended to shop in Sainsbury's, Marks & Sparks and to a lesser extent Waitrose.What would the result have been if we compared some different supermarkets?

As I said in my earlier post The comparison in the survey like for like on chicken is incorrect when comparing Sainsbury's to Eroski

8.49 per kilo on thinly sliced filleted chicken breast from Eroski in my fridge.and £11.39 Sainsbury's, a much bigger difference..

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 pm

markwilding wrote: Frank,
I disagree with most of what you write.
I take that as a compliment, I'd be seriously worried if my thinking was along your lines. Long may be disagree.
Regards, Frank

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun May 12, 2013 1:09 pm

frank wrote:
markwilding wrote: Frank,
I disagree with most of what you write.
I take that as a compliment, I'd be seriously worried if my thinking was along your lines. Long may be disagree.
:thumbup:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun May 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Devils Advocate wrote:In all honesty Mark I think we can leave the exchange rate out of it. Spain was a LOT cheaper than the UK a short time ago..........it's NOT now.
Yes, rather silly comment really, does it really matter what the comparisons were years ago? :? I think an important point is made by the author of the article, bearing in mind the report was not made specifically with Brits living in Spain in mind, UK wages are already much higher than Spain, so for the average Spaniard it's considerably more expensive in real terms. Can't comment on individual prices, unlike some here, I haven't a clue what things cost. Our meats etc all come from local farm shops, if it looks nice, we buy it!
Regards, Frank

Dr1Gonzo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Dr1Gonzo » Sun May 12, 2013 2:05 pm

You can buy mussels 1kg for EUR1.50 in the UK, it's £4
You can buy 3 chorizo for about EUR1.40, in the UK it's £3 (and nowhere near as good).
morcilla EUR1.50, UK black pudding for more.
Fruit is cheaper in Spain
Tomatoes are fresher.

I really don;t understand what supermarkets you guys are using!!

also, try the local stores as well rathetr than chains.