RHD Motor Home

Information and questions about driving in Andalucia, buying or importing cars and motorbikes plus legal issues surrounding taxes and licenses.
FIFI
Tourist

RHD Motor Home

Postby FIFI » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:56 pm

Some friends have a RHD motor home, almost new and wondered is it possible to put it on Spanish plates. Apparently, larger vehicles if RHD are not eligible. Also, does anyone know what % the tax is?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:22 pm

I think it is possible to put it on Spanish plates. As for the tax it would be 12% of the value assuming the engine is over 2000cc.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:57 pm

There is a specific problem with importing some RHD vehicles because of passenger access. If it has an access door on the left hand side it will not pass the special ITV inspection because of the fact that when passengers alight they do so directly into the path of the traffic instead of onto the pavement.

I know that motorhomes are not intended for the transportation of passengers but this has presented a problem in the past. You should check this with DGT before getting involved with too much expense in the importation procedure.

Calculating the tax payable is a little more complicated than applying a percentage. AEAT have a large book of tables for calculating the importation tax which is based, not only on the make and model of the vehicle but also its age.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:46 pm

theres a rhd talbot camper in alhaurin el grande, just sold for 14,500 €. it might be easier to sell that one and buy a spanish one.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:34 pm

We are coming out in a mini bedford with a left hand sliding door. Is it possible to get an ITV if a. the rear seats are removed so sliding door is not needed for passenger access or b. if the door is welded shut?
Thanks, Kal

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:14 am

My guess is no but who knows? I don't think anyone would be able to answer you with any certainty. They won't pass a vehicle when its specifications differ from that shown on the ficha técnica which could be said to be the case if the seats have been removed and the door welded shut.

The other thing to consider when importing a right hand drive vehicle is the headlights. They have to be changed for a completely new set that dip to the right and often they can cost more than all the other costs of the importation procedure put together.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:21 am

Thanks Beachcomber. So probably best to use it for 6 months, scrap it and buy a Spanish vehicle then.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:50 am

My advice, and that of many others on this forum, is certainly to buy a Spanish registered vehicle. You may be able to sell your Bedford to someone who is selling up and returning to the UK.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:27 pm

Beachcomber wrote:.. and often they can cost more than all the other costs of the importation procedure put together.

i can get left hand drive headlights for pretty much any car, for under 100 a pair.

if the vehicle / motorhome fails because its rear door is on the left, and the door is welded shut in order to pass the ITV, then there will be no access to the rear, so whats the point in bringing it ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

FIFI
Tourist

Postby FIFI » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:30 pm

Thanks for your replies Beachcomber and Costakid. I think my friends are probably going to take the motorhome back to the UK and sell it.

kal111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kal111 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:47 am

if the vehicle / motorhome fails because its rear door is on the left, and the door is welded shut in order to pass the ITV, then there will be no access to the rear, so whats the point in bringing it ?
It's not the rear door it's the left hand side door of the rear. It also has a rear door. We are using the van to move out then hubby is going to use it as a van for work.
kal