Plants that hang down over walls

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Plants that hang down over walls

Postby Terryd1963 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Guys,
Does any body know of any plants that will grow over a wall and trail down the other side. I have a large wall and I am keen to disguise it with some colourful trailing plants. I have planters at high level so the plants will be able to just grow and trail hopefully. Fast growing plants would be my preference.

Cheers

Terry

BusterG
Tourist

Re: Plants that hang down over walls

Postby BusterG » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Honey suckle or jasmine would be my choice. Bougainvillea is also a hardy option but slower growing.
Sorry I dont know the spanish names, we have jasmine and honey suckle trained up the porch beams to help provide shade and are doing well.

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Terry - it sounds as if you intend to grow the plants from planters rather than in the ground? If so your main problem is going to be getting enough water to them to keep them going in the dry spells. Even Jasmin and honeysuckle will struggle in pots/troughs. Can you organise a watering system for the "planters"? If you could get access to plant them in the ground you have a much wider choice. How about the orange trumpet vine - Campsis? There is another similar vigorous climber with pink trumpets which I never discovered the name for, which seems to be local and rampant. Most of these climbers will propogate by layering, so if you know anyone with some that either has rooted bits near the plant's roots, or long lengths that have dropped to the floor and self-rooted, you have ready-made plants available - chop off from the main plant and dig the rooted bit up!
Also consider Russian vine - spectacular folliage in spring and autumn and a rash of white flowers though a bit insignificant - also called "mile a minute vine" and it is a FAST grower. Also passion flower is hardy and even if you think it has died off in a dry spell will often surprise you by setting off again - this is BETTER confined in a pot as the roots will spread and it will pop up all over the place if you are not careful. Of course bougainvilla comes in a variety of colours these days - very bright and cheerful orange, white, pink, purple - but is prone to frost damage though it will usually just lose a lot of its foliage and some younger stalks, and then come back again, even better the following year - flowers practically all year otherwise!
And then there are climbing roses but El Cid is the expert there .....
Cheers :wave:

Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Terryd1963 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Excellent.... Real food for thought. Many thanks to you all.

Cheers

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Begonia venusta cloaks walls with fine dark green foliage and clusters of brilliant orange flowers. Ipomea, purple blue, white throated trumpets. Both easy to control and pest free. Plumbago, pale blue flowers but less hardy in a windy position. Varigated ivy is another easy option. Go to a good local viveros Terry they will advise you for your locality. Happy gardening :thumbup:
Sandramay

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Creeping rosemary (rastero ?) - we've got some hanging over the edge of a wall (planted in ground tho not very good soil). We watered it until it had settled, and then left it alone apart from when we watered all the garden. We also have some at the front of the house, which has gone mad growing across the terrace !
Pretty flowers, bees love it, and of course the scent whenyou brush past it :thumbup:

It's the one in the foreground - behind it are the monster 'normal' rosemary :lol:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)