Receiving UK Winter Fuel Allowance in Spain.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
chicdiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Receiving UK Winter Fuel Allowance in Spain.

Postby chicdiz » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:57 am

Tucked in amongst the thread on GP treatment in UK were some contentious comments about the rights of older people to have pensions and winter fuel payments made to them in Spain. A few people believe that if you've opted out of the UK, you should sever all connections, "certainly all fiscal benefits".

So, for people who have paid into the Govt. pension scheme for 45-odd years, you're saying they shouldn't have the right to receive their pension wherever they like?! What rubbish!

The winter fuel payment was introduced in 1997 after hard-won battles by organisations like Age Concern. This was against a background of many older people dying from hypothermia because they couldn't afford to heat their homes adequately.

The winter temperatures in Spain are great when you can sit in the sun between around 11 to 4, but go inside what- for- many are concrete houses and it's freezing. Last year - the coldest in 60 years - saw temperatures of -10 here. I find electricity costs much higher here, so the winter fuel allowance (just received) is very welcome. It is paying for what it is intended - electric blanket, logs, gas.

Maybe all you out there who disapprove of our receiving this allowance would rather we "pensionistas" quietly died off!

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:39 am

-10? what part of Spain are you living in!
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:55 am

Here close to Antequera it was -8 one morning, not nice!

sherlock holmes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sherlock holmes » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:00 pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:39 am Post subject:
-10? what part of Spain are you living in!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:55 pm Post subject:
Here close to Antequera it was -8 one morning, n

yes but you know in A.com land the weather is always perfect never hot or cold - I agree with you Olive its freezing at night often in - degress Nov to Feb = I even seem to remember that SUR covered snow ±! last year on the coast near A.com land :lol:

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:52 pm

The winter temperatures in Spain are great when you can sit in the sun between around 11 to 4, but go inside what- for- many are concrete houses and it's freezing. Last year - the coldest in 60 years - saw temperatures of -10 here. I find electricity costs much higher here, so the winter fuel allowance (just received) is very welcome. It is paying for what it is intended - electric blanket, logs, gas.
You sound like you might be in need of some winter fuel allowance Chicdiz. We had this topic a couple of months ago, I posted something about extreme temperatures in Andalucia (winter & summer) and low building standards. Needless to say, I was told off for upsetting the sponsors of A.com. Were you aware of possible cold winters befoe you moved?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:36 pm

kevin77 wrote:
Were you aware of possible cold winters befoe you moved?
Probably not! Probably read Silver and believed him! :D Thought they could sit around in a T shirt all winter!
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Lorraine - Mijas
Resident

Postby Lorraine - Mijas » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:55 pm

10.55pm and 8 degree's on my terrace, brass monkeys spring to mind :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:03 pm

Nothing prepares you for the Spanish winter, I used to come around 3 times a year as a child, but when I think about it now it was probably always in summer. I spent a winter in sevilla but I think spent it in a haze only known to the young. So, I was shocked when we moved out permanantly. I know that in anywhere in Europe I would be warmer inside than here, whatever the weather outside.

As for the fuel allowance, hope its still around when my time comes. My wood bill comes to more than that and then there's the CH.

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:03 am

too right Katy! If I had spent Winter in Granada I would NEVER have moved here. We didnt expect snow on Xmas night and in January all the trees died from the cold , and below - temps for 3 months. Worse than UK winters. I think I was spoilt living on the Coast I cant remember having to scrape snow off the car in Marbella :P It wouldnt be so bad if the houses where constructed better, less concrete, double glazing and central heating would all help.

oh yes and AIR CON in summer :lol:

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:23 am

samizdat wrote:too right Katy! If I had spent Winter in Granada I would NEVER have moved here. We didnt expect snow on Xmas night and in January all the trees died from the cold , and below - temps for 3 months. Worse than UK winters. I think I was spoilt living on the Coast I cant remember having to scrape snow off the car in Marbella :P It wouldnt be so bad if the houses where constructed better, less concrete, double glazing and central heating would all help.

oh yes and AIR CON in summer :lol:
Spain of course, does have much more extremes of temperatures than UK ever does, but as you say, the houses are not built for it. I have never been in the depth of winter, but even in March and April a lot of the houses we have rented have been numbingly cold. We went once to Montefrio in May, and it was the coldest house I have ever been in! At least here, nearly everyone has central heating, double glazing, mains gas etc despite not having such severe winter temps. Whilst most of the months of the year Spain has some nice weather,I often think of the pensioners that have moved out there, humping gas bottles and logs around in an attempt to keep warm during the winter.. I'm sure they would never admit it, but some must regret not having their nice, cosy , centrally heated, double glazed bungalow in UK. Still, they can get their own back in the summer when they can enjoy temps of plus 40º :D
Regards, Frank

samizdat
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samizdat » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:29 am

We went once to Montefrio in May, and it was the coldest house I have ever been in!

Dear Frank,

the name of the village may have been a clue :lol:

I ofen drive past it - whats its like?

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:01 pm

Thank God for double glazing and central heating in the house including the kitchen. Thank God I am not a brass monkey too :lol:

Just out of curiosity, what is the amount for the winter fuel allowance per house hold please? We have not heard about it till now through this forum. TIA.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:08 pm

samizdat wrote:We went once to Montefrio in May, and it was the coldest house I have ever been in!

Dear Frank,

the name of the village may have been a clue :lol:

Yes, but in May! :D Anyway, it should be called Montemuybloodyfrio!

I ofen drive past it - whats its like?
It's OK, wouldn't want to live there though! Some beautiful scenery in the area. Suffers from very cold winters, and very hot summers.
Regards, Frank

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:15 pm

Jade138 wrote:Thank God for double glazing and central heating in the house including the kitchen. Thank God I am not a brass monkey too :lol:

Just out of curiosity, what is the amount for the winter fuel allowance per house hold please? We have not heard about it till now through this forum. TIA.
I think it varies, from £100 to £200, or £300 of you reach the age of 80 or 85!
Some links here.
http://www.britishexpat.com/Pensions__W ... 270.0.html
http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/winterfuel/faqs.asp
Regards, Frank

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:22 pm

It is 200 pounds I think Jade according to the information I have read on it so far - a one off payment once a year

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:46 pm

Thanks Frank and Pat for the links. Interesting reading......
We are not entitled as we are under 60. :lol:
We are in Spain as hubby works and pays tax here.

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:47 pm

From what I read on this thread, maybe there is a case for increasing the £200 allowance for UK pensioners resident in Andalucia!
Stop whinging! Everybody on A.com knows that any house can be comfortable with a combination of a simple wood burning stove, gas bottles and solar panels. Electrical power is by generator, water from the well and a cess pit can be easily installed, which shouldnt stink too much in winter!
Your quality of life is better now! Thers more to life than central heating, hot water, double glazing, mains gas, mains electricity, telephone lines, water and sewerage.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:55 pm

Donch forget the cheap and reliable hot water bottle too. :lol:
I like to fill up at least two bottles with boiling hot water, place it on my side of the bed, place a pillow and duvet over it.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, warm and comfy when time to tucked in :P

Got two from a pound shop in UK and extra two from Carrerfour. 8)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:59 pm

About 10 years ago my parents imported a special fireplace from Sweden, you can burn just about anything in it that's combustible (if it's not illegal).
I have to say it's been too good for words, really efficient we have a large house, 4 big bedrooms a huge kitchen (over 40 sq meteres) and a big living room plus various other little nooks and crannies, If I burn this fireplace for about three/four hours a day maximum the whole house will be aired (not hot but + 15/16 for a full day, if you burn it longer of course the house will get warmer and stay warmer.
I have to be honest and say that at the moment two of the bedrooms are permanently closed off so the area being heated upstairs is actually about 60 sq metres, whilst the downstairs area is about 90 sq metres so you can imagine how well this thing works.
The secret is, it's made of Granite, huge solid blocks, so once the stone gets warm it stays warm, I won't pretend these are cheap, the last time I was in Sweden was last year and I remember seeing them for between 5-7000 euros, this sounds like a huge investment but they are guaranteed for 20 years.
I'm not too sure of the company we got it from but if anyone's interested I can find out, they really work and for those who are prepared to suffer the initial outlay believe me your house will never be cold again!!

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:21 pm

-17 in Galera last winter. Just had first snowfall last night about 3 inches! Thankfully melting today with the sun! Nice and warm in our cave once the fire is lit. My parents get winter fuel allowance - £200 per couple, they got it last year as well. Can put up with the cold temperatures as you know that it won't last long and at least it's not damp.