Driving down from Calais

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mountainlass
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Driving down from Calais

Postby mountainlass » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm

we are (subject to final arrangements) moving on the 21st Feb. We have 2 cats and are using the Santandar ferry crossing. There are "pet friendly"cabins and we are allowed to take the cats into the cabins with us, we do not fancy a long drive through France with 2 cats.... worse than kids.......meow meow are we there yet!

Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Terryd1963 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:11 am

Hi Mountainlass, we are moving in April and thought about using the Ferry as we have 3 cats, but we are concerned that they may escape. Have you used this service before?
TerryD

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Hi Terryd1963.
Keep cats in cat carrier , they are left in the car on certain Brittany Ferries boats.

Cap Finistère has Pet friendly cabins would need to book up early on this one.....

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/fleet ... -finistere

"We have kennels on our routes to Bilbao, Santander and St Malo and a number of pet friendly cabins on some of our services to Bilbao and Santander, where your dog or cat can stay with you during the crossing. On ships where there are no kennels your pet will remain in your vehicle."

The full article..............

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/infor ... -with-pets
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Terryd1963
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Terryd1963 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks Enrique, I think we are definitely going to go by chunnel, a longer drive I know but I think it would be better for all of us being in the vehicle together.

Thanks Terryd1963

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 am

I haven't done the trip for ages but I always favoured driving down through France, even though my final destination was Bilbao. I liked taking the overnight ferry to Le Havre, then it was about 8-10 hours down to Bilbao. depending on traffic and stops.
Having said that, Bilbao is only about 50% of the drive so splitting it might be better if driving all the way to the south.
I used to drive down the west side of France and a couple of nice places to stop off were Mont St Michel, Rochefort, and La Rochelle in France and for wine lovers the Basque country part of La Rioja, specially Bodegas Marques de Riscal, Rioja Alavesa.
http://www.alavaturismo.com/es/ficha.ph ... riscal.jpg[/img]

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:18 pm

Doing the trip again in 2 weeks, this time with 3 dogs! Imagine, me and 4 redheads. Anyway, anyone know the price of diesel In France at the moment. Is it worth filling up before leaving the U.K?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi gruff,
Not France but current in Spain............ :roll:

In Spain............ €126/ltr.... ish UK is usually way over the top compared to Spain.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jimbothescot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jimbothescot » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:58 pm

There are a lot of discounted fuel stations in France now around the ring roads and often just outside the ports. An Esso station on the outskirts of Ouistreham (Caen), I filled up the lorry at €1-20 for diesel two weeks ago. There is an Esso station as you leave the port at Cherbourg with similar prices. Total access stations which have yellow signs rather than the usual red of Total on ring roads of both Nantes and Bordeaux is around €1-24 per litre last time I was in .

So don`t fill up in UK, just make sure you have enough to be comfortable with getting to a fuel station, Beware that a lot of fuel stations in France are all automatic with card only especially as night falls.

Jimbo

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:34 pm

I had my LaCaixa card skimmed 100euros at unmanned Carrefour Rouens. Had 80 euros of fuel - never have liked auto fuel machines. Bank returned the money no quibbles