Electricity

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
redsoxbrit
Resident

Electricity

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:12 am

Can anyone please confirm the reason why our electricity keeps 'tripping' ?
My husband is convinced that, because some of the appliances like the kettle, toaster and microwave are from the UK, they are not compatible with Spanish circuitry? I am sure I read somewhere on this forum that it is because we have exceeded the capacity and as the appliances fore mentioned use a lot of energy it is just a coincidence it happens when making tea and toast!

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:31 am

You need to check the maximum power rating of your elecricity contract and connection. It appears on my electricity bills (from memory) as the word "potencia" and for me is a paltry 4.2 KW. That means that I cannot draw more than a maximum of 4200 watts at any time or my breaker will trip out.

4.2 KW is tiny compared to a normal UK connection. An electric kettle could be 2.8 KW, Fan heater 2.0 KW, microwave 0.8 KW, hairdrier upto 2 KW. You get the picture!

It is not because you are using UK products.

What to do? You can usually have your potencia increased although this will cost and will cost more for the monthly fixed charges.

We survive on 4.2 KW by adjusting lifestyle e.g. use gas cooker, gas kettle, gas water heater and getting to know the power ratings of our devices.

Hope this helps!

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:34 am

Sounds like you need to up your contracted potencia that's all. Appliances such as electric kettles (ditch it, get one for your gas hob, assuming you have a gas hob), toasters, washing machines etc use a lot of juice. You either have to learn to stagger the use of them or upgrade your potencia. Have a look at the top RHS of your electricity bill where it will tell you what your property currently (pardon the pun) is contracted for. If it's 3.3kW or less, upgrade it (contact Sevillana). If you are running lots of electrical appliances such as kettles etc you may have to go to 5.5kW otherwise 4.4kW should be sufficient. Your monthly standing charge goes up according to how many kW you contract for.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:39 am

Simultaneous posting, sorry Valencia Paul.
Actually in a way it is because your appliances are from the UK. In the UK there is never any problem switching everything on at the same time and so we don't bother to check the energy efficiency of our appliances. I bet yours all use loads - check the little metal plates on the appliance to see. Here in Spain you should go for more energy efficient appliances, lower kettle ratings etc not these ones that heat your water instantaneously on a gold plated element :wink:

redsoxbrit
Resident

Electricity

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:19 pm

Thanks for your replies although I derive no pleasure in being right-if only it could be solved by the purchase of a Spanish kettle and toaster......I have checked the bill and it states 'Potencia contratada' 3.3 kw which seems very low for a large apartment with 11 rooms. As we are renting until we buy we cannot really do anything apart from be aware that to use any cooking appliances we need to turn all the heaters off. By the way, we are all electric so gas doesn't apply. Better did out the thermals, I'm cooking dinner on Xmas Day!

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:35 pm

3.3 KW for an 11 room apartment!

Hope you make it though the winter and still want to live in Spain!

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:58 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote:
What to do? You can usually have your potencia increased although this will cost and will cost more for the monthly fixed charges.

We survive on 4.2 KW by adjusting lifestyle e.g. use gas cooker, gas kettle, gas water heater and getting to know the power ratings of our devices.
I think El Cid has detailed the charges recently.

They are minimal so why would anyone need or want to adjust their lifestyle in order to save just a few centimos?

Search for Cids message - maybe you will be surprised?

Mike

redsoxbrit
Resident

Electricity

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:10 pm

Well, we've been sitting up on the roof terrace where temperature is 30c nicely warming our bones. Now if only we could bottle that heat for the evening..... :lol:

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:39 pm

Bongtrees,

I have heard that it can be expensive to increase your potencia and is not just a case of swapping the fusebox breakers for higher rated ones.

For example, my flat is on the 5th floor and to upgrade might involve the electric company rewiring from the meter on the ground floor to my flat.

What is so difficult about adjusting your lifestyle slightly anyway? For example, is it a big deal using a whistling kettle on a gas hob versus an electric kettle?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:40 pm

My English kettle tripped the apartment's leccy everytime it was switched on - and that was in Summer!

I bought a Spanish one and it works perfectly. The English ones do cause a power surge.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Electricity

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:05 pm

We are quite prepared to adjust our lifestyle, after all look at the rewards;
beautiful, cheery sunshine (that is actually HOT) on a December afternoon, carefree children who will become bi-lingual and therefore broaden their horizon , friendly faces with time for a chat etc. No, it's not perfect and would not suit everybody but when we do come across things that we don't understand we know we can rely on the good people of and.com to come to our aid- think I might invest in a new kettle...

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Electricity

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:24 pm

redsoxbrit wrote:Well, we've been sitting up on the roof terrace where temperature is 30c nicely warming our bones. Now if only we could bottle that heat for the evening..... :lol:
30 degrees outside ? you are having a laugh!!! it was 12 yesterday, according to the temperature gauge at the roundabout in alhaurin de la torre. the temperature is not going to vary buy 18 degrees in such a small area.

why not get a solar water heater if the sun is that good ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Electricity

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:36 pm

The temperature on my ROOF TERRACE was indeed 30c this afternoon and yesterday it was 28c. In the town it registered 20c when we were shopping but we know it's always cooler below. I have no need to lie I speak as I find.

cliff
Tourist

Postby cliff » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 pm

You sure you thermometer is not in the sun?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:14 pm

Redsoxbrit, can you confirm that it is the ICP that keeps tripping not the ELCB. The ICP is a switch installed by Sevillana/Endesa to control the amount of power you use at any one moment and is usually in a housing on its own. The above replies are applicable if this is the case. It has been known that people bridge the connections behind the switch to stop it happening which is not a course of action I am advocating.

The ELCB is the earth leakage circuit breaker which trips if there is, well, an earth leakage. This can be caused by any number of things and it is often very difficult to trace the fault.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:23 pm

cliff wrote:You sure you thermometer is not in the sun?
Or in the kettle! :D :D

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:29 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote: For example, my flat is on the 5th floor and to upgrade might involve the electric company rewiring from the meter on the ground floor to my flat.
That's pretty unlikely unless it is very old.

Unless asked otherwise, they nearly always install 3.3kW trips on the basis that most appartments are not going to be lived in permanently. This avoids paying the higher meter charges when you are not there.

Sid

kevin77
Resident

Postby kevin77 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:31 pm

cliff wrote:
You sure you thermometer is not in the sun?

Or in the kettle!
Or up your A_rse, where your head is presumably!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:39 pm

Spanish Lad,
The temp guages in A de Torre are totally incorrect. The one nearest the quarry side says 30 and the one as you leave 24!!!! I feel that these are put out for the older generation with failing eyesight etc and to compensate for the quarry dust when in operation!!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:56 pm

Valencia_Paul wrote:Bongtrees,

What is so difficult about adjusting your lifestyle slightly anyway? For example, is it a big deal using a whistling kettle on a gas hob versus an electric kettle?
And if one doesnt have a gas hob what then?

My previous message was not meant to be confrontational I merely wanted to point out that Cid has produced an excellent response to this question in the past and it is possible to have a ¨normal¨ supply for a few cents.

Beachcomber has explained how to do it.

Mike