Water timers

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
BusterG
Tourist

Water timers

Postby BusterG » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Can anyone recommend an automatic water timer that doesn't break?

I must have bought a new battery operated water timer every year for the past 5 years.
As we rent the property out and don't live there (yet) so watering the garden regularly is essential.

I have bought gardenia and hoselock models in the past. Our pool cleaner changes the batteries when necessary as we have one that tops up the pool too. They all seem to stop working after 12 months.
Admittedly the timer and tap are in direct sunlight but the units seem undamaged.

Can anyone help?

These are types I have used before
http://www.amazon.com/GARDENA-Electroni ... B00CRF2VM6

Thanks

ajtg1952
Resident

Re: Water timers

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:22 pm

I use a B&Q timer. I've had it about 12 years with 6 years use in Spain. Never had a problem [yet]. It is fully shaded and protected and I put it away for the winter.

BusterG
Tourist

Postby BusterG » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Sadly it doesn't look like B+Q do their own brand timers any more - probably didn't sell enough as they didn't break.
When I am there next in the summer I will look to install a new tap that is both shaded and protected all year round. Hopefully that will help to resolve my issue.
If anyone else has any comments about water timers I would appreciate your input.

Buster

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:22 am

We've only replaced ours 3 times in 10 years that I can recall, but even that seems more than one would expect, considering they don't really do very much. Mind you, they are pretty cheap I suppose. I think probably the shade / protection thing is the key.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Im on my 5th in 8 years ... it doesn't seem to matter if you spend a lot or a little on them. if they are in full sun they don't last long.
The one that outlasted all the others was from lidl and that's now 5 years old, but I haven't seen them again since. So now I just buy on price ....