How Useful is This Forum ?

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
conceptqueen
Andalucia.com Amigo

How Useful is This Forum ?

Postby conceptqueen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:14 pm

In fact, are the 'ex-pat' type forums really of any use to would be 'settlers' in Spain and of course residents looking for good info.?
Personally we have found this forum extremely helpful and very useful as a guide to what and not what to do.
Of course we have always tried to get second opinions on information given, but in general it has helped us tremendously. :thumbup:
We do owe a lot in particular, to 2 forum members who gave us very valuable and helpful advice when we were in the process of moving here, unfortunately neither appear to be active members now.

As with any forum there are of course the usual 'waste of space' contributors who repeatedly attack 'newcomers' with stupid comments about their spelling etc. , but best to totally ignore them , or give them a mouthful. :lol:
Good Luck to all of the new incoming residents, it really has got to be a great time to be buying a property in Spain. :wave:

Mariacristina
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: How Useful is This Forum ?

Postby Mariacristina » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

A forum is, ultimately, as good as the people who use it.

There are, undoubtedly, some spiteful and aggressive members who seem to take pleasure in criticizing, belittling and bullying others. Maybe they do it because they can and it is easy to hide behind the anonymity of a user name; maybe they are like that in the "real" world as well.

Fortunately those people are in the minority. I was subjected to a verbal attack and avoided the forum for nearly a year, but I was very touched by the number of members who contacted me and were very kind and supportive. One of the kindest and most supportive has since left the forum for the same reason.

I have, rather tentatively, returned to using the forum because it is so very useful and so many members are generous and helpful with advice and information. Sharing experiences and sharing a laugh helps to keep problems in perspective too.

The forum can be very useful and I believe a large amount of credit for that should go to Sid. He gives generously of his time and experience and sometimes needs the skills of a diplomat to keep things running smoothly. He is worth every penny of his 50K annual stipend (plus the free Bentley of course)!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:39 am

I'll second that :clap: :clap:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:20 pm

My monies on Beachcomber too............ :D

Especially for Modelo 210.....
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Deleted...out if date!
Last edited by katy on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Been very helpful to me in the last four years, I go other places but find this and it's breakdown into separate subjects best.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm

I agree with that - I did join another forum, as the person Mariacristina refers to posts there now and I didn't want to lose touch with her, but unfortunately I don't like the format as much.(But I am now her facebook friend so am happy to still be able to chat :thumbup: )

Andalucia. com and it's members have been a real boon to me, very useful indeed.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:54 pm

I wouldn't have known about the winter fuel entitlement but for this forum.
Dave

conceptqueen
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby conceptqueen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm in full agreement with all the comments so far, and I've also really enjoyed reading members stories about their lives in Spain, sometimes not happy endings , but still 'real life events' which have given us much 'food for thought'.
We do miss , however, the stories and humour from some of the real forum 'characters' who have slowly disappeared. :(
I'm not sure how many members are actual residents in Spain, but still very useful tips etc coming from all sources.
I would guess at 50/50 actual residents on the forum now ?

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:51 pm

As a newcomer to this forum (first post in fact) I'll say that I've found it to be very useful, and one of the better ones being both country and region specific.

I'm currently very much in "research phase" regarding my relocation and gathering information to help me make an informed decision from both heart and head.

Many thanks! :clap:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:42 pm

Welcome to the forum and I'm glad you have found it useful so far.

It's so important to do the research before committing so please ask as many questions as you like.

You will find that there are many members who have lived here for some years and have a really wide knowledge of all things related to moving to and living in Spain.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:43 pm

Ennery wrote:As a newcomer to this forum (first post in fact) I'll say that I've found it to be very useful, and one of the better ones being both country and region specific.

I'm currently very much in "research phase" regarding my relocation and gathering information to help me make an informed decision from both heart and head.

Many thanks! :clap:
Have you really read all of two years posts, I am impressed :D

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:58 pm

Old board but this forum has helped me with ...

1 Winter fuel allowance (mentioned above)
2 Getting state pension taxed here - a saving of around £1200 per year - thanks Sid :thumbup: (although as Sid said on another board there's a rule change) :thumbdown:
3 Solving computer problems (thanks to Enrique and others) :thumbup:
4 Pointing me to good sites for buying computers, TVs etc
5 Sid telling me to put a timer on my hot water tank (saving around €30 per month) :thumbup:
6 There's no number 6
7 Unbiased opinions (thanks katy :wave: )
8 Beachy for more advice :thumbup:

(A special thanks to Gerry for wishing me a happy birthday yesterday! :oops:)

I've missed loads of forum members out, so thanks also to them.
Dave

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:00 pm

Mowser wrote:

(A special thanks to Gerry for wishing me a happy birthday yesterday! :oops:)
I missed that - happy birthday for yesterday!

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 pm

Oooer. I missed your big day Mowser. I must be losing it :oops: or I am just being fashionably late like celebs :wink:

Hope you had a cool day with a decent bottle of red :thumbup: xx

Ennery
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ennery » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the invitation to get stuck in and ask... and no, I haven't read every post ... yet :wink: