A long incredible story about registration and IBI in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
linne
Tourist

A long incredible story about registration and IBI in Spain

Postby linne » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Just want to tell about our experience in Spain this year and hear, if any of you have tried something like that. I also want to warn you about not having a post address in Spain.

Here the long story:
We have a small finca in Torrox (with a low value) and have owned it for many years.

Normally we are in Spain once a year, so our bank pay IBI, insurance and electricity automatically from our account, and when we are in Spain, we pay the non-resident income tax. For some years we need to have a representative to pay the tax, but when this rule was changed, we did it ourselves. So we have no post-delivery address or representative in Spain. Didn’t think that it would give us any problems.

But suddenly we received some notes from our bank, which we couldn’t understand. First more than 300 Euro was taken from our account with the text “ Retencion por diligencia de embargo” from Patr. P. Recd. Malaga, no other explanation. We were afraid that there wouldn’t be enough money on the account, so we transferred some money, and next month we had a similar note with a new amount. Then we transferred more money, and for the third time a new amount was withdrawn. Totally we have paid nearly 900 Euro. Our IBI is normally about 90 Euro, but in 2013 and 2014 we have paid about 155 Euro each year- nothing in 2012.

So when we came to Spain in September, we of course were asking for an explanation. The bank couldn’t tell anything, so we went to the office in Torrox, where you pay IBI, and luckily there was a woman, who could speak English. She explained us that the value of the land was raised, so we should have paid a higher amount in IBI. The extra amount was with another reference number, and therefore it wasn’t paid together with the normal IBI. And when you owe tax, the authorities will look for a bank account and then take the money. Also she said that Spanish authorities don’t send letters to foreign countries, so that’s why we were not informed. She couldn’t give us any documents, where we could see, if she was right, or how the payment was calculated. We had to believe her. But we were a little chocked that something like this could happen. We always try to pay, what we owe.

But we had a bigger chock a little later!
One of the notes from the bank, which we showed her, wasn’t paid yet. She looked at the note, talk to a colleague and both of them asked several times, if we have or have had a property in Nerja, which we could deny. They had some telephone calls, and then she showed us a registration, where we could see that my husband since 2009 was registered with a correct Nie number as the owner of a house in Nerja. The registered owner before was a person, which name were similar, but not the same, as my husband’s name. So someone had transferred the house to my husband thinking that it must be the same person! And this time they could find our bank account! It was only a small amount 26 euro, which was payment for Basura. The amount had to be paid a week later, and in the office they promised that they would try to stop it. After that we had to use time to write a document in Spanish to Catastro Malaga explaining that the property wasn’t belonging to my husband, go to the post office, have it stamped and send. Which we of course had to pay for!

When we came home to Denmark, we managed to get in contact with the former owner, but he could tell that he had sold the property for perhaps 20 years ago! He couldn’t remember to whom.

And the office didn’t manage to stop the payment for Basura from our account! Unfortunately we only realized this a month later. We had now the possibility to see our account online, but when we log in to our account - it fails sometimes - it says “Recent movement 10.09 ". The amount 26 Euro is however paid 22.09 ! We have written to the bank and asked them to return the amount to our account if possible and to stop future payments for Basura, but they have not yet answered us or returned the money.

So we are very frustrated and nervous over the situation. What will be the next, we have to pay?
And we cannot understand that Spain doesn’t have better registration.

Does anyone have a good advice or knows anyone who has experienced the same?

Linne
Last edited by linne on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

dxf
Resident

Re: A long incredible story about registration and Ibis in S

Postby dxf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Hola

If it was me, then I would go to OMIC with all the documentation and an interpreter

Davexf

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 pm

As it involves a public administration I think it would need to be the Defensor del Pueblo.
Let's go Brandon!

linne
Tourist

Postby linne » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Thank you for the answers!

We don't know anything about OMIC or Defensor del Pueblo. Never heard about it, but will try to find out. Unfortunately we are not coming to Spain before about May next year.

Concerning IBIS. Do you know if it's correct that a higher Ibis are collected in a separate amount?

Linne

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:13 pm

We pay IBI on our apartment on the coast in three instalments and on our rural property in two. We did not ask to do so, it is just the way they do it in these two municipalities.

This is the web site for the Defensor del Pueblo which is like an ombudsman:

http://www.defensordelpueblo.es/en/Quej ... index.html
Let's go Brandon!

linne
Tourist

Postby linne » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:29 am

Thank you for your information about "ombudsmanden" Beachcomber. We didn’t know that Spain has something like that, and perhaps we need to try it. But first we once again will try to contact the bank and hear, if they can get our money back to our account.

We can also hope that the authorities in Malaga and Nerja will correct the error very soon.
I had hoped that some forum members had experienced or know someone, who had experienced the same, so that they could give us some information about such a case.

Concerning IBI I can understand that it isn't unusual to pay IBI in different ways, so perhaps it's only us, who has had a bad experience. So we just have to cross our fingers that the payment in the future automatically will be paid from our bank account. We also have arranged that our post can be delivered to some friends in Spain.

Linne

linne
Tourist

Re: A long incredible story about registration and IBI in Sp

Postby linne » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:39 pm

In 2014 I asked for help from the forum concerning a property in Nerja, which the authorities in 2009 had registred in my husbands name. We weren’t aware of that, before they began to take payment for Basura from our account.

Here the end of the story. Perhaps someone can learn of our experience.

When we were in Spain in September 2014, we sent a complaint to Catastro in Malaga. For about a half year we didn’t pay anything, so we thought that the case was solved. But then there again was taken an amount from our account. In September 2015 we went to the IBI office agáin and tried to explain the case on our bad Spanish. The girl, we talked with, explained us that the property not longer was in my husbands name, which we were happy for. Then we showed her the amounts we have paid, and she was so nice to write a formular for us, which she sent to Catastro.

And today we have seen that the money is put into our account plus about 2 Euros extra.

linne

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: A long incredible story about registration and IBI in Sp

Postby olive » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:51 pm

What a horror story but with a positive outcome.

Don't apologise for your English either .

Enjoy your two euros. Meal out for two? Holiday perhaps!