Spanish Tax Office

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
kexon
Resident

Spanish Tax Office

Postby kexon » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Anyone seen this before or is it just another tax adviser drumming up business. Some of the wording is a bit iffy!

The Spanish Tax office has given six months to retirees living in Spain who are resident at Tax Purposes with PENSIONS from abroad to regularize without penalty.

As a result of the strengthening and effectiveness of international mechanisms of information exchange between tax organizations, the Spanish authorities have discovered that there are MANY residents in Spain at tax purposes (they stay more than 183 days per year in Spain) receiving pensions from abroad of the country and they are not correctly declaring their annual PERSONAL income taxes.

Due to the characteristics of these people: elderly pensioners, who have greater difficulty in knowing the Spanish legislation, living many years abroad and, in general, not having great fortunes; the GOVERNMENT has approved for these groups an extraordinary period of grace of six months from January 2015, to rectify the situation.

This measure affects foreign pensioners that live in Spain and are residents at tax purposes and who claim their pension from abroad, or Spanish pensioners who have returned to Spain after many years working in another country and receive a pension from that country.They will have 6 months from 1 January 2015 to regularize their situation, during this time no sanctions will be applied.

The new disposition includes two special measures for cases of regularization in income tax than income from PENSIONS paid from abroad:

An extraordinary period of legalization: no surcharges, interest or sanctions to pensioners will be applied who voluntarily regularize their fiscal status by filing from 1st January to 30th June 2015 statements IRPF of EXERCISES not prescribed (from 2010-2014)

A cancellation of interest, surcharges and penalties required by this concept. The cancellation must be REQUESTED by the applicant from 1st January to 30th June.

During this time, these pensioners should visit a tax adviser who will help them with this year’s declaration, as well as those from previous years that have not been declared, and ensure that they ARE completely up-to-date with their fiscal affairs from this point.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Tax Office

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:03 pm

What it says is that if you have been stupid enough to live in Spain and not pay income tax on your pension, you can now pay back all the tax you should have paid without penalty.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Here is the original information from AEAT:

Let's go Brandon!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Blimey !

They will be trying to collect Non Resident Income Tax next !

anyroads

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:57 pm

After much procrastination we finally got our returns for the past four years done last week. The Gestor only charged €40 per year (for both of us, as separate declarations) and did it in a couple of days. The Padre refused to work for one year, so as the office is over the road from Velez Hacienda office, he nipped over the road to get them to authorise those documents.
Tax? One year rebate of 10 cents, two years tax due 3 cents and 8 cents, so they called it a draw!
If anyone needs it doing in our area I can recommend him (and he speaks some English).
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

ajtg1952
Resident

Postby ajtg1952 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:30 pm

anyroads wrote:Blimey !

They will be trying to collect Non Resident Income Tax next !

anyroads
I sincerely hope so; but as I am now convinced that I am one of only two legal Expats living full time in Spain, I doubt it.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 pm

I think that is a disingenuous and patronising slur on those of us who have paid millions of pesetas and, subsequently, thousands of euros to the Spanish tax man over the years.
Let's go Brandon!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:09 pm

Lighten up. I thought ajtg was tongue in cheek and funny. I sometimes felt like that too :D

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 pm

There you go katy.

Stirring it up again !.

anyroads

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:26 am

AEAT sent out similar letters about non-resident tax to non-residents two or three years ago. Of the twenty or so people that I know who received the letter more than half were already paying their taxes. The rest totally ignored it and are still not paying anything and they have heard nothing more... yet.

Rather than deliberately targeting non-payers (it can't be that difficult to use NIE numbers to cross-check property purchase against subsequent tax payments) they just send out these generic missives in the vain hope that it will scare some people into paying.

All it achieves is to scare the actual tax-payers into thinking they have done something wrong and their tax payments have not been registered whilst the non-payers carry on in their own sweet way not paying anything and ridiculing those who do.
Let's go Brandon!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:10 pm

I have heard one person say that it is too difficult to actually make the payment so they do not bother as they are never chased "as they are only interested in the big boys".

I do not think you can get away with not paying IBI, so the other one is strange.

I dare say there are people who have properties in Spain who are not even aware of Non Resident Income tax.

anyroads

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 pm

I would think there are plenty - we had owned the house for a couple of years before we found out about it (thanks to the forum :wink: )
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:50 pm

It amazes me that this is not pointed out to people at the time of purchase. Surely the Spanish Government should ensure this is part of the whole process.

anyroads

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:46 pm

I collect rent on a flat I own back in the UK. To avoid paying tax in The UK, I filled out a form excempting me from paying due to the fact I am not a UK resident.
However, the UK and Spain have a receptical agreement to inform each other of earnings from the respective countries.
Even if didn't want to pay the taxes here, I have to because there would be a high risk of getting found out.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:28 pm

I know a couple in their late seventies and I don't think they have ever paid anything except IBI. They don't use the internet. When I have told them about anything eg. the declaration of assets last year, he said to me in an apologetic voice "I don't think we'll bother it's too complicated" :crazy:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:04 pm

There is a whole area of Mondron with houses that simply do not exist. We know people who have never paid a cent in IBI or basura because the council has done nothing about them.
So much for aerial photography and satellites!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:02 pm

I recently received one of the 'why haven't you been paying tax on your foreign pension' letters via 060 Notificaciones so this morning I went to the tax office in Málaga ostensibly to express concern that I had received the letter despite having been paying tax on my occupational pension since I started receiving it 1999 but, in effect, to ask diplomatically why they were wasting their time sending the letter to people already registered with AEAT for the payment of tax and not chasing up the hundreds of thousands of people who were not paying anything.

A very helpful supervisor explained that this was just the first stage, that they realised that people registered with AEAT were probably paying their taxes but that they were now in the process of checking each and every NIE number issued against the payment (or otherwise) of taxes either as a resident or a non-resident.

When they find a discrepancy they will assume that the person is fiscal resident subject to the payment of annual resident taxes and asset declaration unless that person is able to prove otherwise.

How long this will take to come to fruition is anybody's guess but it looks as though the writing may be on the wall for the tax dodgers at last.
Let's go Brandon!

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Beachcomber wrote: When they find a discrepancy they will assume that the person is fiscal resident subject to the payment of annual resident taxes and asset declaration unless that person is able to prove otherwise.

How long this will take to come to fruition is anybody's guess but it looks as though the writing may be on the wall for the tax dodgers at last.

This being Spain. Let's hope they are not writing with quills !

anyroads

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello to Beachcomber - yes, we too have received THE letter - well the OH has ... why her and not me, I don't know - they tried to do her for non-existant wealth tax last year too. Our Gestor says to ignore it present as it is not even worth a reply! Your comments from your visit to the tax office in Malaga would seem to confirm that. What a waste of time and energy - beautifully composed letter in wonderful Spanish but probably incomprehensible to most people likely to be receiving it!! And to those who can understand it, likely to send them into a panic. Surely the simplest thing if they want to track down pensions, foreign or Spanish, is to allow a section in the "income declared for tax from work" to be separated into actual work, ie salaries, pension, and source of same - ie Spain or EU or elsewhere.
Anyway we are not going to honour the stupid letter with a response .... all paid up :angel:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:46 pm

I have some tax returns going back to the 1980s and although I wasn't receiving a pension at that time there is actually a space requiring the entry of the the name of the entity from which the pension (or earnings) was being received and this carried on into the 1990s.

You could also claim deductions against payments for private health insurance premiums.

Seems like backward step in both instances.
Let's go Brandon!