Caminito del Rey

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Caminito del Rey

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:57 pm

So, it's finally opening :thumbup: and you can book free tickets online now at http://www.caminitodelrey.info/
But....so far there is no provision of transport to get you back to your start point, which presents something of a logistical problem. (They don't even seem to have made any provision for car parking either, which seems a bit of an oversight since they're expecting 600 people a day). The only people I know who might be happy to sit in a vehicle for 4 or 5 hours waiting while the rest of our party do the walk, are non-drivers, so that's a dead-end! Could arrange one-way transport to the Ardales start point, and hope there's a train back from El Chorro at the right time. Of fork out for a private minibus to do the round trip, which would mean booking it for the whole day basically. Just as well the path itself is free for the first six months.
And another thing, from the website, it's entirely unclear exactly where the start point is anyway. Quote: "Coming from Ardales, through the tunnel at the Count of Guadalhorce’s Reservoir, by Kiosko restaurant, or from the chair of King Alfonso III to the control cabin at the Hydroelectric Power Station Gaitanejo". I can locate the Kiosko restaurant, but the "tunnel", the King's "chair" and the power station I canot find on Google maps. It all seems rather vague. It could only be in Spain! Lonely Planet are plugging this new attraction - I foresee utter chaos. :crazy:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Caminito del Rey

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:26 pm

Taken from their website:-

"The path El Caminito del Rey is linear not circular. This is why you need to make sure to come back to the start on your own. This situation might change in following months when the infrastructures get improved, car parks are built and other alternative means of transport, such as buses or coaches that can take visitors to the southern or northern entrance, are organized".

I suppose you could make two bookings. The first one one way and the second one, a few hours later, back. :think:

I shall wait, even though it means paying, until return transport and car parking is sorted out.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:16 pm

There website crashed under the amount of traffic using it. I suppose thats because its free at the moment. In 6 Months time and it will be a much better.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:55 pm

It's worked every time I've tried it.
No crashes.
Still plenty of slots available.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:12 pm

My grandson and his friend are coming for a visit early April and have booked their walk - the entire 7km. I understand from the website you can do 3km. OH and I might do a recce before they come as it is unclear about access, retrieving the car and so on.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:38 pm

That's not my understanding. You can't hop off half way along. The board walk itself is about 3kms, but with access paths at each end, the total walk comes to about 7kms. Or have I got it wrong?

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:15 am

I think you're right Miro, I've just re-read it. I got confused by this bit " Go for a dizzy stroll
and walk three breathtaking kilometres" but I think that doesn't take into account the 4 kilometres access roads.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:47 am

Slightly disappointed to see that among the prohibitions, there is this: "To scatter deceased people’s ashes." :shock:
Also a bit surprised by this: "Person in possession of ticket will have civil liability insurance that will cover any accident along the trail". Is this normal for a tourist attraction such as this? I don't have, nor do I know anybody that has such insurance for a day out.
The website also says that visitors must arrive at the "access points" half an hour before the time on their ticket so that groups can be formed - but it's not clear to me whether this means the "control cabins" which presumably are at the start of the boardwalk section, or the start of the trails that lead to the boardwalk. It makes quite a big difference.

I'm thinking entrance is free for now because they haven't really figured out how this is all going to work. I can't help feeling that anywhere else in the world all this stuff would have been worked out before anybody sets foot on it, and to be perfectly honest, it doesn't inspire too much confidence. Perhaps they should have sent someone to Costa Rica (or some other country with a well developed tourist infrastructure) to see how they should do it. :?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 am

THE newly restored Caminito del Rey, the cliff-hugging walkway pegged high on the walls of the Los Gaitanes gorge at El Chorro, will open to the public on March 28, announced officials last week. When the website to reserve the free tickets to walk the path went live on Tuesday, demand was so high the site temporarily crashed.

Just to prove to GERRY H that i am not lying. He questions everything I post on here. This was COPIED AND PASTED from CDS news on Friday. Perhaps they made it up as well.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:12 pm

Calm down! I don't think he was questioning what you posted, only clarifying that it was old news and that the site is now up and running with no problems.
Another thing I noticed from the photos on the site is that there appears to be nothing in the way of safety nets/barriers on either side of the boardwalk - only a wire handrail. And they're allowing kids over 8 years old on this path?! Maybe the photos don't show the finished product, but if they do, I also forsee some nasty headlines and legal battles. Perhaps this is why the need for personal liability insurance.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:14 pm

I would stay away until it quietens down. Looks a bit fragile for masses of people to be on at the same time. Spanish don't politely queue and shuffle in line do they. Anyone seen the chaos at the ski lifts :shock: what happens if there is a serious medical emergency :think:

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Aye, I can see me getting wor lass up there :mrgreen:
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:41 pm

MIRO,,,, Yes he was because he questions or makes a half snide remark on most of my posts.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:46 am

Morning All

Wondered if some adventurous soul who is taking the walk after the opening on 28 March might post a full review please, so that others might benefit from their advice? We're obviously interested in the linear not circular problem, the wire handrail rather than side nets, female toilet facilities en route, etc, etc

Thanks (hopefully) in advance......

Regards to all

Vincent

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:14 am

The site makes it clear there are NO toilet facilities on the route. Also stresses that walkers should bring plenty to drink.
I think it's clear this is not a comfortable Sunday afternoon stroll for everyone.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks Miro - missed the bit about 'no toilets' - that's another minor issue to overcome :shock: if we decide to go.......

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Miro,
I think you'll find that the bit about insurance causing you concern is a misunderstanding.
I believe the message is that any person holding a ticket "authorizing" them to be on the walkway will be covered by insurance against any accident UNLESS they cause the accident by breaching any of the rules and regulations.
Fairly standard liability cover.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 pm

I would love to go, but heights are not my thing sadly :sick:

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Gus - you may be right, although having re-read it (in both English and Spanish) it still seems ambiguous to me. Every other rule and "obligation" seems to refer to the visitors' obligations rather than those of the management of the attraction.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Aminito??!!
Quality journalism from the Daily Mirror http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ou-5310534
All they had to do was copy & paste!