What do you hate.

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:49 pm

Have just discovered something to hate...................being told to lower my standards when job seeking "because you have to start again at the bottom here" then not getting the job because I'm over qualified :evil:

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:10 am

England 130,365 square kilometers 49.1 millon population.
Spain 493,486 square kilometers 44 million population. (8% of which are foreign residents)
Kevin77
power cuts, septic tank installation, gas bottles, water supply, telephone lines, and construction standards of property, especially in the campo
Do you think that the huge difference in size has something to do with the nations infrastructure.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:51 am

Claims of "third world" conditions are not really fair. Third world = no electricity, no sewage facilities, no running water, no health system etc. etc. Hardly a description of Spain.

Chalky
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chalky » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:44 pm

Reading other threads, I've found something else to 'hate', namely ex-pats who live in the campo and get all snobby about the fact and think anyone living anywhere near the coast is some sort of pond-life. Because someone chooses to live near the coast - and it may be a very pleasant bit of coast, not the centre of Torremolinos or Benalmadena or wherever you think is typical of the worst of the Costa - doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be lager-louts.

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:03 pm

Noisy mopeds, litter and dogs s**t for me and of course all the Spanish paperwork.

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:11 pm

Yeah, noisy motorbikes, quad bikes and `peds late at night. Cold winter nights.
But the rest is just great thanks!
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:25 pm

Fletch wrote:Yeah, noisy motorbikes, quad bikes and `peds late at night. Cold winter nights.
But the rest is just great thanks!
If there one thing that would stop me moving to Spain, it would be the noisy bikes. Don't know if it has changed, but we used to sit in the square at Cómpeta, having a beer, and the kids used to come racing up the rampa, straight across the square, and up the street the other side. What a bl--dy row! And the police standing by the market watching them, never said a word. :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

soegaard
Tourist

Motor bikes

Postby soegaard » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Yes Frank. The noise from the bikes were terrible. But it's much better in Competa now. A lot of bumps in the roads and more observant police has helped a lot.

Jens-Kristian

frank
Andalucia Guru

Re: Motor bikes

Postby frank » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:53 pm

soegaard wrote:Yes Frank. The noise from the bikes were terrible. But it's much better in Competa now. A lot of bumps in the roads and more observant police has helped a lot.

Jens-Kristian
I'm glad to hear it! Or not hear it, as the case might be! ;-) I'm sure you are all very relieved. I think when we popped up there last year they were doing the rampa, it was a bit of a mess.
Regards, Frank

Jules - Slowhand
Tourist

Postby Jules - Slowhand » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:15 am

Alan-LaCala wrote:
British immigrants eroding the spanish culture , keep the pollution down south.
But not you, eh? You're different.

Look, everyone is marching out of step except my Johnny!!!

Alan
yeah that's right , I'm spanish and fortunately located in a part of the country that has not been affected by the British invasion. If you don't like the spanish package then go back to the UK, I manage to live and work there without complaint.

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:26 am

The sooner some if not most of the people on this site learn how to quote properly the better. The quote facility is over used anyway. Rarely does anyone do it properly, rendering some of these threads ambiguous if not almost slanderous. :roll:

Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:44 am

Jules - Slowhand wrote:
Alan-LaCala wrote:
British immigrants eroding the spanish culture , keep the pollution down south.
But not you, eh? You're different.

Look, everyone is marching out of step except my Johnny!!!

Alan
yeah that's right , I'm spanish and fortunately located in a part of the country that has not been affected by the British invasion. If you don't like the spanish package then go back to the UK, I manage to live and work there without complaint.
Hi Jules,

Good to have a real Spaniard on the forum.
How wet is it in Asturias in the summer? Property prices seem pretty reasonable in that region and the countryside looks stunning.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:52 am

If you don't like the spanish package then go back to the UK
I do like the Spanish package. I haven't complained about anything; it was you who complained about the ex pats, and I object to having generalisations applied to me.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

costachick
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costachick » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:53 am

Just to add my dislikes about Spain..

Same as most really with regards to Quad bikes, dog poo and litter.

Also don't like it when people stand chatting with the lift door open.

Adverts on Spanish TV, blimey what can I say 20 mins of advert for 15 mins of Programme.

Shops and not being able to go shopping early, Mercadona 9.15 and carrefour 10.00 opening times.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 am

Jules - Slowhand wrote: yeah that's right , I'm spanish and fortunately located in a part of the country that has not been affected by the British invasion. If you don't like the spanish package then go back to the UK, I manage to live and work there without complaint.
Delighted to have a local on board, it'll be nice to hear it from the other side! :D I'm certainly nort defending the Brits here, but I'm sure you must have had some complaints about UK. I read a forum about Spanish people living and working London, and while I'm pleased to say the vast majority seem very happy there, there are some inevitable moans. Especially amongst some of the au pairs! Congratulations on your English!
Regards, Frank

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:47 am

Yes Jules, your English is almost to good to be true, congratulations!!

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm

citymike wrote: One woman stands out, she thinks that she is friends with everyone in the town where she lives, despite her not speaking a word of the lingo, but they laugh at her behind her back and they think she's vulgar, she thinks that she's posh and would probably post on forums saying how she hates English people who don't integrate. Ironic really
We've got one of these too! Is it a common phenonema or are the 'lesser liked busybodies' prevalent in every English community?!

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Motor bikes

Postby Fletch » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:47 pm

soegaard wrote:Yes Frank. The noise from the bikes were terrible. But it's much better in Competa now. A lot of bumps in the roads and more observant police has helped a lot.

Jens-Kristian
You`re right it is an awful lot better now, but I`m bringing over an AC Cobra kit car later this spring with a very loud 3.5litre V8 to get my own back!!! :twisted:
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

citymike
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby citymike » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:32 am

jane grant wrote:
citymike wrote: One woman stands out, she thinks that she is friends with everyone in the town where she lives, despite her not speaking a word of the lingo, but they laugh at her behind her back and they think she's vulgar, she thinks that she's posh and would probably post on forums saying how she hates English people who don't integrate. Ironic really
We've got one of these too! Is it a common phenonema or are the 'lesser liked busybodies' prevalent in every English community?!
From what I can see the majority of British delude themselves. I swear blind that if a Spanish murderer were to disembowel one of the inland Brits they'd claim that they were much nicer disembowelers than the British.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:03 am

Adverts on Spanish TV, blimey what can I say 20 mins of advert for 15 mins of Programme.
Well at least you don't have to pay a license...and there is always zapping. :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.