Summer Guests

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.

Are we mad inviting guests to our homes in July and August?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes we are stone mad
55%
No, its great to have guests
20%
Yes we are mad , but we love it really
25%

Total votes: 40

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Summer Guests

Postby Erika » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:08 pm

I know this is a really old thread but just had to say I love it. It's given me a great laugh albeit being also pretty scary. We've just moved here and have already had our first house guest (single aged 32 – we’re retirees) so I've got a few extra rules to add to the list posted by Peteroldracer with whom I also definitely agree on the upbringing of some young people.

• I am not your mother, or a slave – I shouldn’t have to pick up after you – at all.
• Carry your own dirty dishes to the sink don’t leave them lying around. (You could even wash some occasionally)
• Don’t leave your beer bottle tops, empties and other bits of trash littering the nearest available surface. They go in the rubbish bin and you put them there yourself.
• Pack the clothes you need and bring them with you – don’t borrow mine. Similarly for toiletries, shampoo or anything else you might need. If necessary, pay to bring luggage with you. You can afford it as you’re not paying for accommodation.
• If you plan to argue with other patrons about politics or anything else; be loud-mouthed and constantly use foul language that offends people; sit on, rub your legs against, smooch or cuddle other people’s husbands/partners (including mine) - or in any other way behave like a scrubber, kindly do so in a bar that I don’t frequent. I have to live in this community after you’ve left.

I’m sure you get the gist of her behaviour! She has now had the gall to not only invite herself back twice in the next 2 months but has also announced to me that she will be bringing a girlfriend with her each time, neither of whom I’ve ever heard of let alone met!

Unfortunately for me my partner is in the camp that loves having guests to stay. (They’re a lot easier to love when you’re not doing any of the cleaning up).

All I can hope is that the rest of the constant stream of visitors invited in the coming weeks turn out the way I try to be when I’m a guest – the very best version of myself I can be;
• tidier, cleaner and more hardworking than in my own home
• ready to help with everything
• paying for as much as my hosts allow me to

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 pm

She's 32 and rubs herself up against you!
I'm coming over in May,is she there then?
Will there be two of them? :thumbup:

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:06 pm

How can people afford to have all these guests? Water, electricity, food bills?
When its boiling hot who wants to think about cooking meals?
How can you keep the house clean with all these visitors coming, upsetting routine, one lot following on from the last?
I only have very close family overfor two weeks of the year.
When friends in the UK said they were coming over, hinting, I emailed them a list of local hotels!

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:13 pm

I repeat,she's 32 and rubs up against you .
Is she there in May? :thumbup:

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:19 pm

infoseeker - you are so right. and your solution is perfect. As someone else said in this thread - they enjoy their friends a lot more when they stay at a nearby hotel.

Nimrod - not funny. ( :crazy: ) is that a hint at an invite for you too? If so I'll take infoseeker's advice and email you a list of hotels. ( :lol: )

Erika
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Erika » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 pm

actually Nimrod are you in the UK? Perhaps you could find her in a bar there. I'm sure the behaviour people are complaining about is not confined to visiting overseas for any of these people. Just that they'd have no reason to stay with you in your home town. I think that's the bottom line. The opportunity to find out their lack of consideration would never arise.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:01 pm

I have a friend who lives in La Cala (near Fuengirola) his response to hangers on has always been the same, "sure we'd love to see you, what hotel are you staying in ? call us when you've checked in, maybe we could have a drink together "

ericsbcn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ericsbcn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Erika - You say your guest smooches and cuddle other people’s husbands, including yours.

Maybe that's why your husband likes having her stay... :lol: