Cost of medications and dentist in Spain?

Do you have a query about moving to Andalucia and buying property in Andalucia. Find out by posting questions and reading about other peoples experiences.
misswoosie
Tourist

Cost of medications and dentist in Spain?

Postby misswoosie » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Hello everyone.New member here. My husband and I are looking to spend some longer periods of time in Spain over the next year or two. I've been reading up on here regarding access to healthcare,tax residency etc etc so that we can make a decision about how long to stay each time based on our particular circumstances. We have a small income from a rental property -about £6k, decent amount of savings and when I take my NHS pension in another 2 years (left the NHS 6 years ago when we moved to the US for 5 years, but even though I'm 52 haven't taken pension yet) we'll have that yearly too, plus the lump sum.
I briefly had a look at the Health forum and was amazed to see that it was possible to buy 50 100mg Levothyroxine (for hypothyroidism) tablets for less than 3 Euros and that actually a prescription isn't required. What are prices like for other medications and what other UK Prescription only meds are available over the counter? I knew that it was possible to buy antibiotics etc, but not that it extended to meds like thyroxine.
My OH just saw GP and came away with 4 scripts . 2 for his psoriasis (an emolient and a steroid cream) which will last 4 weeks and a 7 day course of antibiotics and steroid nasal spray for sinusitis. Cost £32.80.
Last week I had a root canal filling on the NHS and the charge was £55. I have to have a crown in a few months which will cost around £100. Just wondering how much dental work costs in Spain?
Thanks in advance for any info.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Cost of medications and dentist in Spain?

Postby markwilding » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:50 pm

I have tended to pay a lot more for my dental work

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:07 pm

We find standard checkups slightly less than the uk about €55. couldnt really say about more indepth procedures as we had denplan in the uk so all that was covered. If you google say dentists in nerja for example alot of them have the prices on their website. other meds you can get over the counter are statins and cholesterol tablets.cost is very little

i guess if you used the NHS for dentistry you will find it more expensive here

misswoosie
Tourist

Postby misswoosie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for the replies elusive and markwilding.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:28 am

We pay 40€ for a check up and clean in Caleta near Algarrobo. Things like crowns will be a lot more - several hundred euros each (I paid 750€ for 2 crowns 10 years ago). We always paid privately in the UK though so the costs there are a lot more than here.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:40 am

£100 seems very cheap for a crown. My dentist charges €500 for an implant and €350 for the crown which is fixed to it. I have seen advertisement hoardings advertising the same service for €699 but having checked it out I decided to stick with my own dentist.

Even her prices are far cheaper than those in the UK. I have a non-resident friend to whom I recommended my dentist and he is now flying over regularly for some extensive bridge work to be carried out. Even taking into account flights and taxis etc. he says it is far cheaper than going to his own dentist and that the work is much more thorough and professional.
Let's go Brandon!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:47 am

Beachcomber wrote:£100 seems very cheap for a crown.
Must be an NHS dentist as there are set maximum fees for for the patient to pay for different types of work. A very long time since I used one but I was a dental nurse when I was young so know a bit about how it works (or used to).

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:10 am

Yes the NHS has 3 bands. Basic is around £18 for check up, X-ray etc. second includes fillings, root canals, crowns at £50. £220 gives you a full set of nashers :lol: the more work you need the cheaper it works out. In theory you could have 4 root canals and still pay only £50.

I paid about €350 for a crown around ten years ago in Marbella. Having had the dentist from hell in Spain and then an excellent Danish one I think money is not the main consideration.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 am

I paid €40 for a check-up, scrape and an ultrasonic clean. I had a filling renewed (white) for €40. Extractions (none for me so far) are €30. That's the price here in the village.

I did have major periodontal work done in Torre (all teeth up and down) and that was €480. This involved two visits. Upper teeth first with 40 injections then the digging away at the roots began. The following week was the same for the lower teeth. Curses for still having 32 teeth.

(Before you ask, it was totlly painless - except for the price).
Dave

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Is there a dentist in the village mowser?

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Used to be, one floor down in the car park. Coming from your end there are some steps down at the end of the shops, i.e. the plaza end not the Polish end and they were down there.

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Still there.
Dave

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:58 pm

Ive bought omeprazole,simvastatin,declofenac,flagyl,amoxycillin,hytrin,adalat,atenolol,all over the counter and not a blink from the pharmacist other than to advise me of the dosage.
Can't remember the cost but none of them caused me to raise an eyebrow.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks both of you. never knew that. would you recommend him/her

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:11 pm

I would recommend the village dentist. I'll pm you with opening hours and telephone.
Dave

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:14 pm

In Spain, within the last 12 months:
Fillings - around €30
Clean and check up about the same.
One crown €200
A bridge (equivalent of 2 crowns and an artificial tooth) - €600.

misswoosie
Tourist

Postby misswoosie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:14 pm

Wicksey wrote:
Beachcomber wrote:£100 seems very cheap for a crown.
Must be an NHS dentist as there are set maximum fees for for the patient to pay for different types of work. A very long time since I used one but I was a dental nurse when I was young so know a bit about how it works (or used to).
Yes, as I said NHS. No way could I afford private dental- I worked for the NHS for 27 years. :thumbdown:
I paid €40 for a check-up, scrape and an ultrasonic clean. I had a filling renewed (white) for €40. Extractions (none for me so far) are €30. That's the price here in the village

Seems reasonable. You can't get white fillings on the NHS, only amalgam. I think privately a white filling would be around £150. I pay the practice privately for my cleans, £20, but that's not ultrasonic.
Nimrod wrote:Ive bought omeprazole, simvastatin,declofenac,flagyl, amoxycillin, hytrin, adalat, atenolol,all over the counter and not a blink from the pharmacist other than to advise me of the dosage.
Can't remember the cost but none of them caused me to raise an eyebrow.
Shhhh- you're scaring me. Did they even ask you what other medications you were taking :crazy:

Thanks for all the replies.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:52 am

You'll find the Spanish pharmacists are very good.
The ones I use ask if I've taken them before etc.
Ps....I don't take them all now....they're just drugs that have been prescibed for me in UK and had to buy when on longer visits to Spain.