NIE

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Wilson25
Andalucia.com Amigo

NIE

Postby Wilson25 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:44 pm

You're probably sick of this question but here goes - is it easy enough to apply for NIE yourself without gestor/spanish speaking person. We're moving to Competa in June but visiting in February and wondered if we can put in our applications in Feb. Does anyone know where we apply for NIE in Competa area? I also noticed on the mir.es website that there's 2 forms - which is the correct one to download?
Any help appreciated.
Karen

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:49 am

flippin newbies :p

1. use the search feature !

2. if you cant be bothered, then yes, its very easy. go to the local police station. hmm, a main one. malaga is the most used, but to save a 5 hour queue its worth the drive to fuengerola. go in, queue up, get the form, fill it in, go to the bank, pay 6€ per person, go back to the police, hand in the form, go home. it´ll be ready two weeks after, you have to go and collect it.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:57 am

WOOOOOOO!!! who's a stroppy lad then? Cooking, cleaning and sewing aren't everything you know, civility and patience are also good attributes to have.
You were a newbie once. I agree that it is right to direct people towards the search facility as they may not have realised that it existed, but at least do it politely span.

Ulli
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ulli » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:07 am

I believe that Spanish boy actually put in a smilie thing like this :P tounge in cheek one but it just didn't come out so go easy on him...

I have seen a few strong comments from him before but here he was joking, I think :lol:

Mind you I'm only a newbie too so what do I know :lol:

From one newbie to another, I did my NIE myself and it was really easy. I do speak Spanish but I didn't really need it :)

Good luck

Ulli
F?dd i Sverige men med Guds hj?lp Sk?ning :)

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:16 am

You don't need to queue for the NIE form, get it from here.

http://www.mir.es/sites/mir/modelos/ext ... mentacion/

You also don't need to pay anything for the NIE; it is for residencia you pay.

At Fuengirola how long you queue to hand in the form depends on the time of year. In winter the queues are quite short, in summer much longer. We had to wait about 4 weeks to get ours, but did it ourselves, and we only have limited Spanish.

Good luck.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:29 pm

You need to make your application at the Comisaría de Policia for your area which, I would guess, being in Competa, will be Nerja. You used to be able to go to Málaga and they would handle applications from anywhere in the province but the last time I tried this they sent me back to Torremolinos.

There are now two NIE application forms on the site given by Alan. They are almost identical but the difference would appear to be that one is especially designed for people who wish to apply at a Spanish Embassy or Consulate in their own country.

If you are going to do it locally you will need this one:

http://www.mir.es/sites/mir/modelos/ext ... n/ex14.pdf

Requirements for paperwork vary and some clerks insist on passport sized photographs even though it is not necessary. They also sometimes ask for a rental agreement, notarised contract or escritura but as you generally need the NIE in order to be able to do the escritura producing the latter can be a little tricky.

I am afraid you will not get a definitive answer on the requirements as they vary from place to place, form person to person within the same establishment and even from the same clerk at different times during the same day.

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:38 pm

Nearest police place for NIE for Competa is probably the one at Torre del Mar, on the Avenieda de Andalucia on the right going out of town eastwards.towards Caleta
Grouser

Sue C
Tourist

N I E

Postby Sue C » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:47 pm

I have got my NIE number in paper form, but somoeone here in the UK has told me that I need to have it in card form. Is this right?
I am not applying for residence as I will not be in Spain for more than the stated 180 days.

Any info would be great

Wilson25
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Wilson25 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Thanks for all your help - Spanish Lad, thanks for directing me to the search feature which I'll use in future. Sorry that I'm a newbie but you gotta start somewhere and I did say you're probably all sick of this question!

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:29 pm

The search feature is of limited use because many of the earlier posts were lost due to a server failure.

Sue C, If you are going to be a non-resident the NIE sheet will suffice. They used to issue a small blue card with the NIE number on but this was discontinued about twelve years ago.

If you are going to be resident and not working you will need to apply for a residence permit which will bear the same number as your NIE.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:05 pm

yes i was having a friendly pop at ya´ll newbie bloke :D dont worry about it(i forgot the :D when i edited). i know my stuff, generally, but for anything legal, listen to beachcomber, he is normally right (and will often correct me ;) ) .

alan. i had to pay 6 euros to do mine i´m sure, but then that was 6 years ago. i dont have a card, only a bit of paper. its been shown to the police a few times, and was accepted. in fact i have to get it changed cos we´ve moved.. hmmmm i wonder where i do that? beach? do i have to go to fuengerola police again?

spanish hopes

Postby spanish hopes » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:16 pm

i had to pay 6 euros to do mine i´m sure, but then that was 6 years ago
That was your school bus pass span, not your NIE. :lol:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:27 pm

spanish hopes wrote:
i had to pay 6 euros to do mine i´m sure, but then that was 6 years ago
That was your school bus pass span, not your NIE. :lol:
probably, i´ve been asleep since then and cant remember really, it was 6 years ago :D lol... listen to beachcomber, he is right in what he says.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:40 pm

Spanish_lad, you don't need to notify a change of address if you just have a NIE number but, as you appear to be a resident, presumably you have a residence permit and you will have to notify the change in Fuengirola if you still live in Alhaurín el Grande.

Curiously, if you live in Coín you have to go to Marbella and for Alhaurín de la Torre you have to go to Málaga.

timperpat
Tourist

Postby timperpat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:57 am

Just all be grateful you live in Malaga Province - we are in Cordoba Province but only about 5 km outside Malaga Province so we have to go to Cordoba. I think they know less about NIE there than we do!! We've been twice up to now and been sent away and we are still trying to find out why. Our Spanish is not too bad but we were still totally perplexed.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:50 am

Beachcomber wrote:Spanish_lad, you don't need to notify a change of address if you just have a NIE number but, as you appear to be a resident, presumably you have a residence permit and you will have to notify the change in Fuengirola if you still live in Alhaurín el Grande.

Curiously, if you live in Coín you have to go to Marbella and for Alhaurín de la Torre you have to go to Málaga.
it may appear that way beachcomber, but i am not resident and have no plans to be. i am in the uk more than spain, i have a flat in london and two uk plated cars here in spain with me. i think the rules are 181 days either way? i think i am in the uk more than 6 months of the year, for whatever reason.

the last time i was in the guardia civil station they went nuts that the address on my NIE papers was not the same as the address where i live. (we´ve moved since i did it) and demanded that i went to the town hall the next day to change it?

soegaard
Tourist

Postby soegaard » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:38 am

Torre del Mar police station is the right place to go for NIE when based in Competa. It's free.
The police station is on the main road through town in the eastern end.

JK

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:36 pm

spanish_lad wrote:[...the last time i was in the guardia civil station they went nuts that the address on my NIE papers was not the same as the address where i live. (we´ve moved since i did it) and demanded that i went to the town hall the next day to change it?
We had a similar problem when purchasing our new car. Our original NIE papers were not acceptable to the garage because of the different address. We too had to go to the town hall and have a Justificante Profesional certificate stamped and signed.
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!

Sue C
Tourist

N I E

Postby Sue C » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Thanks Beachcomber, I was under the impression that we only had to have the paper, but glad as always for advise from the people who know.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:45 pm

spanish_lad wrote:the last time i was in the guardia civil station they went nuts that the address on my NIE papers was not the same as the address where i live. (we´ve moved since i did it) and demanded that i went to the town hall the next day to change it?
The NIE sheet you get from the police only shows your name, nationality and date and place of birth. Do you mean the padron certificate that you get from the Town Hall to show that you are registered locally?