Do You Spain/Malagacar

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
Flexo
Resident

Re: Do You Spain/Malagacar

Postby Flexo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:36 pm

ashtondav wrote:Does anyone know if Malaga Goldcar and Firefly have improved? I've not used them for two or three years but a friend has used them several times over the last year with no problems or even charges for dents in the case of Goldcar.

Can anyone update?
Goldcar ripped me off last year, they did the same with some other guys I met on that trip. It was the first time I rented in Malaga and I only checked reviews on Carthrawler (big mistake).

They said if I didn't get additional coverage they would charge me for anything including dents from stones or clutchburn and I was too tired to think through how realistic their claims were. The additional insurance was like 200 EUR I believe.

I ended up with a bad, unclean car that possibly gave me fleas (I had a sweater in the back seat for the week and the first time I used it I got the most unpleasant surprise).

A few days into the trip a warning light came on. I called them up and asked what the problem was and they told me to get back and I would get a new car. So I did. I had to wait for about 1 hour in line, listening to some VERY angry customers who apparantly had been waiting for a VERY long time. When a technician finally came to see me he was upset that I even bothered him with something as simple as a warning light. He told me that I should take off. I said kindly that I did what I had been asked and I want them to either fix the car or get me a new one. So he fixed it and they gave me a reimbursement for the gas. How nice.

When I returned the car they didn't even bother to check it. I was told to park it straight into the line where you pick up the car. So much for their "clutchburn insurance".

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:03 am

Nimrod, counter 4 is the fast track. It is also simple queries etc. My husband was told to go there to get his licence copied as I had forgot to bring it when I was picking up the car. Over again in 3 weeks for 31 days - 199 euros for a kia cee'd - it was a great car to drive.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:46 am

A question on the quickest way to get to the malagacar depot driving to the airport from Fuengirola.
Normally I drive straight into the airport,pass by the car park for rental car returns,out to the roundabout and over to Malagacar.
As I'm approaching the airport on the ramp running down I can see Malagacar depot below me on my left.
is there a way of getting to it at the point where I see it,ie,is there a turn off without going into the airport.
Thanks

LITTLEMO
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LITTLEMO » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:30 am

Come off at the old exit for the airport - '0' and follow signs to the airport( St Julian). Drive right around the roundabout just pass malagacar - don't turn right you are not allowed and exit for malagacar - the same way the shuttle bus does when you are coming from the airport to pick up the car. Hope this makes sense.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks Littlemo,that all makes sense.
I'd forgotten the old route (I guess that's what they wanted) which is the route I like most. :thumbup:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 pm

Nimrod wrote:I'm just back too,I always seem to get an Opel Corsa,wouldn't mind a change.
malagacar does open at 5am,though it was open at 4.50 am on my last trip and i was in the airport 5.02.
Good service.
Does anyone know what counter 4 is at Malagacar "Full package fast track"
Does this mean if you take the full insurance package you can skip to the front if there's a queue?
Malagacar.com home page States it's open 24 hours a day. Not so?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:03 pm

A friend always uses Firefly via DYS and has just had a car for 44 euros for his trip of (I think) a week. The trick is to refuse any of their add-ons and fuel. He (like me) takes out his own insurance that covers the excess plus other things (I use www.icarhireinsurance.com).

Always refuse their fuel as they charge about 3x usual cost. Hertz tried that with us in the UK earlier this year and wanted about 160 pounds to fill a tiny Fiat 500. They say it saves us having to refuel on the way tot he airport, but as we only had it for 4 days we couldn't have used all that anyway and the refill cost us less than 20 pounds.

We have found the Canaries really easy on car hire. Not only is it really cheap they don't have any excess or take any money as a deposit off your credit card. The cars are a bit knocked about but they don't worry about that, so if you have a small scrape they don't do anything. I hate that when they come out and go over your hire car with a magnifying glass (almost) and try to say you've damaged it when you haven't.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Does anyone know the 2016 promo code for Malagacar.com?
Thanks

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Malagacar were not that good last Sunday morning.. They do advertise on their home page that they are open 24hrs but they were closed until 5am. There were 40 people waiting with cars and early flights to catch, ourselves included..What was annoying was the fact that there was only one member of staff who was processing the cars, none of the cars were inspected because there was no time for doing so...that didn't mean they wouldn't have been inspected afterwards and at a time when people could not be there to dispute any problems, this made people feel uneasy.
Apart from the mad rush there was only one shuttle bus available to deal with 40 people,some of whom had their flight departures at 6.30 am. It resulted in many walking to the airport and in some cases running.. It was a complete disaster and when someone complained the reply was " its not my problem" If you have an early flight home think twice about Malagacar.com.

scotty
Resident

Postby scotty » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:06 pm

@ Pamela, have you emailed them a complaint ? It's important to complain if service was not up to speed. I collected a car from them on Sunday morning at 11.30 am and was surprised at how busy they were but the line moved very quickly. I would be like a dog with a bone if I had your experience.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:57 am

Yes do send a complaint email and let us know their response. I must admit whenever i have used malagacar.com they take us to the airport in the car we hired - never had to bother with a bus! I will definitely use another operater if i have an early flight as I can't risk the farce you endured.

I might risk Firefly again next time and see if they have improved at all.

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:48 am

I have used Firefly and del Paso twice each in the last 10 months through DoyouSpain and each time have had a refund on fuel at the end of the hire. Charged a " out of hours fee by delPaso on my last hire when collecting around midnight ( flight was late). Also charged for damage to bumper - my fault- but insurance4carhire repaid within 2 weeks.
I always take photos of the car, locks etc when I collect and return the car and no problems.
Firefly were excellent on my last two hires and I'm booked again in early May. I'll let you know if I have any issues.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:57 am

We always take photos of the car when we pick up and drop off. Also I've started taking photos of the mileage and any fuel that is left. We also use a third party excess company. £40.00 a year.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:00 pm

Don't know if you've noticed but when using Doyouspain the company's listed mostly wanted at least €1500 deposit If not using their full insurance.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 pm

i have tried several times to reply to the recent posts without success..i may be doing something wrong but when i press submit my reply is not sent...a bit annoying after taking time to write

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Oh that one went but not the others i wrote in deapth

gus
Resident

Postby gus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:21 pm

Swerve,
I've noticed the "deposits" have increased substantially over the last few years but, since they generally put a "hold" on the funds rather than actually process a charge, I don't have a problem with it.
Always read the t and c's so you don't get a surprise!!

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Having emailed a complaint to Malagacar about the early morning service disaster i have received a reply. Apparently they only operate a 24/7 service for people who have had accidents or other problems, i wish they would make this clear on their home page where they advertise that they are never closed.
There was no apology offered for the fiasco which had people running to the airport to catch their flights..Instead they have said that they will ensure that there will be two members of staff to shuttle people to the airport during the early morning shift..nothing about having two members of staff to process the cars being returned.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:07 pm

It should definitely not be a "charge" on your card for damage deposit, as this would be fraud because no service or product has (yet) been sold or bought. It definitely MUST be a "hold" on your card. This is quite sufficient as it cannot be reversed except by the seller, and is legally enforcable by the seller. There is no excuse for actually charging the card and then reimbursing at the end of the contract.

kerbut
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kerbut » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Watch Delpaso, I had my credit card ripped off there to the tune of £3000
kerbut